The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stainluss
We have been doing it in Ireland for our Leaving Cert for quite some time..

Higher (and Intermediate) English is the odd one out - it's in Standard Grade, and it's in Advanced Higher, but has been notably absent from Higher (with the result that Higher is a fairly dull course).
Reply 41
Well, what would everyone prefer, a talking element or a writing element?

WRITING.
TheUnbeliever
Higher (and Intermediate) English is the odd one out - it's in Standard Grade, and it's in Advanced Higher, but has been notably absent from Higher (with the result that Higher is a fairly dull course).

True, but wouldnt it be easier without it?
LuhLah

WRITING.

Personally, talking, as i'm quite proud of my ability to make up crap on the spot, and would have enjoyed not having so much pressure. That said, writing is what they should focus on more :p:
stainluss
True, but wouldnt it be easier without it?

Is it the purpose of a qualification to be easy? :confused:
TheUnbeliever
Is it the purpose of a qualification to be easy? :confused:

No, but its a plus for the students studying it:smile:
stainluss
No, but its a plus for the students studying it:smile:

Not really, doesn't do them any favours in the long run :p:
Meteorshower
Not really, doesn't do them any favours in the long run :p:

Maybe it does, they may be doing a course in University which doesnt involve english but want good grades to get in.
Just because theyre not a novelist doesnt mean they dont deserve credit for hard study.

You cant necessarily study to be a good story teller:wink:
stainluss
Maybe it does, they may be doing a course in University which doesnt involve english but want good grades to get in.
Just because theyre not a novelist doesnt mean they dont deserve credit for hard study.

You cant necessarily study to be a good story teller:wink:

The point of exams isn't really about how hard you work though, it's about showing how good you are at something. If a subject gets easier, then the qualification devalues.
Meteorshower
The point of exams isn't really about how hard you work though, it's about showing how good you are at something. If a subject gets easier, then the qualification devalues.

i guess it depends how many points would be given for the creative section?

It would be bad to see people go down a grade because of it. (that said its already on the other scottish exams and my leaving cert next year...i have everything else learnt off but i need to try and do well in that also to get an A as i want to go to college in the UK:s-smilie: )
stainluss
i guess it depends how many points would be given for the creative section?

It would be bad to see people go down a grade because of it. (that said its already on the other scottish exams and my leaving cert next year...i have everything else learnt off but i need to try and do well in that also to get an A as i want to go to college in the UK:s-smilie: )

Well it's gonna suit some people, and be bad for others, but if at the end of the day it assess English better and is a more interesting course, isn't that the point?
Reply 51
Does anyone know what the O-Grade/Higher Grade course assessments were? My English teacher told me that she had to do three papers, and they were notoriously difficult compared to todays papers.
LuhLah
Does anyone know what the O-Grade/Higher Grade course assessments were? My English teacher told me that she had to do three papers, and they were notoriously difficult compared to todays papers.

It's changed over the years, like how the higher is was different to is now in 2002, and it will be different again in 2011. Not sure about difficultly because I was so fed up with the current incarnation of English that I couldn't be bothered to ask for old papers, but older people often say everything was so much harder back in their day :p:
Reply 53
Meteorshower
It's changed over the years, like how the higher is was different to is now in 2002, and it will be different again in 2011. Not sure about difficultly because I was so fed up with the current incarnation of English that I couldn't be bothered to ask for old papers, but older people often say everything was so much harder back in their day :p:

I'd make it that the Higher and the AH be merged. Ok, that was off topic...hmm. It would be better if they made English more like the SG. It's weird to think that my year will be the last to do the bitch of the higher. Damn my parents..
LuhLah
I'd make it that the Higher and the AH be merged. Ok, that was off topic...hmm. It would be better if they made English more like the SG. It's weird to think that my year will be the last to do the bitch of the higher. Damn my parents..

It's not going to get much easier in coming years (I would think) :p: The thing with this one, is it tests a pretty narrow skill set, and if you get good at it, it's actually not too bad.
LuhLah

WRITING.

Speaking, my SG solo talk was 30 minutes long and apparently hugely entertaining :awesome: Public speaking doesn't faze me, personally, but writing under pressure can.
ArcadiaHouse
Speaking, my SG solo talk was 30 minutes long and apparently hugely entertaining :awesome: Public speaking doesn't faze me, personally, but writing under pressure can.

Aren't they supposed to be 5 minutes each? :p:
Meteorshower
Aren't they supposed to be 5 minutes each? :p:

Yep. I did it on the guy in my avatar, who also happened to be my teacher's favourite singer too (which was a huge coincidence!) so I wasn't penalised and she just let me talk. :cool:
ArcadiaHouse
Yep. I did it on the guy in my avatar, who also happened to be my teacher's favourite singer too (which was a huge coincidence!) so I wasn't penalised and she just let me talk. :cool:

No offence but, didn't your teacher have like other people to see? :p:
Meteorshower
No offence but, didn't your teacher have like other people to see? :p:

In my school you had to talk for between 3-5 mins if you went over or under the time you got a lower grade :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending