The Student Room Group

Jury service with bad timing

Just had summons to jury service starting on the same day as the first day of lectures in my first year of a course at uni :eek3: What are the odds?

It's at one of the largest crown courts in London so would probably have a good chance of getting a serious case, but obviously there's no way I can do it given the degree.

Have applied to get excused, especially since I'm moving from London to Birmingham uni - anyone been in a similar situation and managed to get excused before?

I'm hoping to get excused rather than just deferred since I could see it being a massive pain..
I really really want to do jury service - purely because I have a keen interest in the Courts.

But answering your question, nope not been in your position.
Reply 2
ye well my brother had the same thing but it was towards the end of his course last year, he got excused and is currently doing it now, started this week, so you should be ok
Reply 3
as youve got a prior commitment which you obviously cant change, you should be automatically excused

this is why they always call up more than they need before the start of a trial, as they know that some people will need to be excused
My friend at uni got called up to start jury service a few weeks before final exams and apparently wasn't excused :confused: Last I heard she was gona talk to her head of department about possible appeal for exams.

Maybe I missed something, I thought it had to be something really serious to get out but obviously not!
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, whilst I'm confident they'll excuse me from this one I'm also kinda hoping it won't be rescheduled until after my course or not at all but maybe that's wishful thinking. Just got to wait to see what they say anyways!
Reply 6
shorty.loves.angels
My friend at uni got called up to start jury service a few weeks before final exams and apparently wasn't excused :confused: Last I heard she was gona talk to her head of department about possible appeal for exams.

Maybe I missed something, I thought it had to be something really serious to get out but obviously not!

:frown: That's not good
jk1986
:frown: That's not good

From other replies it sounds like I've been misinformed dude so don't worry!
My flat mate got called up last year but I assume she got out of it, or I just didnt notice her go :P
Im sure it will be fine :smile:
If you're moving to Birmingham, they should excuse you. They only call up people from that area to go to the courts, as they obviously can't have people driving for hours at a time to get to the courts! :smile:
You should be excused
Simply tell them that you intend to be biased, that you do not respect the authority of the courts to punish individuals as it conflicts with your personal political beliefs, and that you will say not guilty regardless of the evidence or charge. I've heard of people using this and being successful in being released.
Reply 12
Cool thanks for the replies will post what they say when I hear back!
I was called to do jury service at the start of my second year. I was able to defer it until the summer holidays the following year, but they wouldn't excuse me. Regarding the different area thing, I'm sure someone who was on the jury with me had to drive up from Reading each day - I'm not sure if she was a student at Reading or something, probably got the wrong end of the stick there though.
My mum got called up to do jury service not long after she'd lost her job due to the company going into liquidation, she told them this and how she needed to find another job asap etc and they deferred it. She got called up again 6 months later, just as she was starting a permanent contract job (as she'd been with an agency for a few months and the company ended up taking her on), but luckily she didn't actually have to do anything, as they only need 12 people and she wasn't one of them.

Not sure about the different area thing though, you would have to ask them.
Reply 15
When you see the defendant walk in, just say "alright, our kid, hows it going?". i imagine you'll be asked to leave. Worked for Frank from Shameless...
Nick_000
When you see the defendant walk in, just say "alright, our kid, hows it going?". i imagine you'll be asked to leave. Worked for Frank from Shameless...

You'll probably then be pooled for another case.
Reply 17
The policy nowadays with jury service (in the era of the Criminal Justice Act 2003) is very much to limit excusals and, if anything, to defer people - the aim is to make juries more representative, rather than comprise people who tend to have the time to do jury service ...

As a matter of common sense, though, it sounds like the OP's case for a deferral is quite arguable ...
If they don't excuse you, there is seriously something wrong with how jury service works. You're studying towards a degree, it's not like you're sitting at home on JSA watching Jeremy Kyle all day, you're actually paying to study.
Reply 19
Good news - I got excused, they didn't even ask for any evidence just took my word for it!

Happy that it's excused not deferred too, now I don't have to do it any time soon!

Latest

Trending

Trending