The Student Room Group

Napoleonic Wars - Ib Extended Essay

So, i'm about to become a second year Ib in September, but I want to get a good draft of my extended essay done this summer. I'm applying to either Royal holloway, or Kings, for History/Politics / History, so it needs to be good. I want to do it from the view point of the British as that is what the majority of my literature is on. So, anybody got some ideas for a good question surrounding British Foreign policy, that will enable to write a good 4500 word essay on?

Cheers
Coursework.info
It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...

"A while"? It's only been a day! Speak some sense, spam bot. :p:

Hmm... I wish I could help, because I did study close to this area for my history dissertation. But what I studied was specifically the British contemporary view of Napoleon, rather than British foreign policy. :pinch:

Maybe you could write about British foreign policy during the 1803-05 invasion threat, and the techniques the government used to recruit soldiers from across the country? I devoted a 2,000-word chapter to this in my dissertation, but felt I could have wrote a lot more -- so it could be perfect for a 4,500-word essay.
Max Hinks
So, i'm about to become a second year Ib in September, but I want to get a good draft of my extended essay done this summer. I'm applying to either Royal holloway, or Kings, for History/Politics / History, so it needs to be good. I want to do it from the view point of the British as that is what the majority of my literature is on. So, anybody got some ideas for a good question surrounding British Foreign policy, that will enable to write a good 4500 word essay on?

Cheers

Platinum Mech does seem a bit more knowledgable on this subject than I am, but I could suggest a couple of questions:

1. To what extent was British foreign policy from 1803-1815 dictated by the defeats of her allies?

2. To what extent did British subsidies to her continental allies contribute to Napoleons defeats in the Napoleonic Wars?
Reply 3
Cheers guys, both great answers thanks. What i've ended up going for is just a plain and simple why were the British victorious and then I'm able to explore all the individual aspects on both sides.
Hmm... have you seen the book 'Resisting Napoleon: The British Response to the Threat of Invasion', edited by Mark Philp and Alexandra Franklin? I used it for my dissertation, and I think there's an entire chapter there dedicated to the British war effort.
Reply 5
Ill have a look thanks :smile:
:thumbsup:
BTW, I think there's another (much thicker) book on the invasion threat, called 'The Great Terror: Napoleon and the Invasion of England' (or something along those lines). I didn't end up using it too much, but it seems like it would be really useful for that particular period.
Reply 8
Lol, this book Resisting Napoleon: The British Response to the Threat of Invasion' - was about £60 everywhere I looked. But I got hold of the Great Terror one. Very good, cheers again :smile:
Forgot that you'd have to pay for it -- I was able to get all these books from my uni library. :mute:
BTW, have you also looked at 'Britons', by Linda Colley? I think there's a section in there dedicated to the invasion threat, and the government's success in recruiting from across the country.

Latest

Trending

Trending