The Student Room Group

BMAT Scoring

I just searched the forum for threads about how they convert your raw mark into your score (1-9) but it just seemed to be saying that it depends on the marks for that year, because its standardised.

But I just found this on the BMAT website..

"Typical BMAT candidates will score around 5.0, which equates to approximately half marks"

So the average score for the first 2 sections is about 50%??
I would have thought it would be higher than that..? :confused:
Reply 1
Sarah182
I just searched the forum for threads about how they convert your raw mark into your score (1-9) but it just seemed to be saying that it depends on the marks for that year, because its standardised.

But I just found this on the BMAT website..

"Typical BMAT candidates will score around 5.0, which equates to approximately half marks"

So the average score for the first 2 sections is about 50%??
I would have thought it would be higher than that..? :confused:

Well, its not an easy paper!

But 50% raw marks does not necessarily equate to a 5.0 score.
It varies from year to year, depending on whether the paper was relatively easy or relatively hard.

The BMAT scores take the form of a Rasch scale - sort of like a normal distribution - this may help to explain it.

edit - also, good luck!
Reply 2
mmm get used to it. After A level they stop giving you the easy papers where everyone gets 70,80,90%. ffs to get a first in our BA next year I need 70% which sounds like nothing, but in practice is somewhat harder... I mean you need 40% to get a 3rd class honours and some people miss out on this too, so just because it says 50% is a decent score doesnt mean its easy

Latest

Trending

Trending