The Student Room Group

help choosing biology and chemistry syllabus!

hey guys,

[edit: the courses I refer to are the new courses -- the ones the current y12s, going to y13, sat this gone summer]

need a little help choosing which college to go to... I'm intending to take biochemistry/chemistry at uni and perhaps medicine should I get my predicted GCSEs.

I've tried to inspect the specification but can't make head or tail of any of it having had a really crappy watered out gcse course (OCR 21st Century Science + Additional Science) leaving me with very very poor foundations in pure scientific theory. I'd appreciate any help whatsoever about info on either of the courses.

College A offers the following:
WJEC AS/A2 Biology [spec] [papers]
WJEC AS/A2 Chemistry [spec] [papers]

College B offers:
OCR AS/A2 Biology [spec] [papers] --- the normal one, not SNAB or something else
AQA AS/A2 Chemistry [spec] [papers]

Can somebody please explain to me how the 'coursework' (unit 3 and 6) work in sciences?

Anybody on any of these courses, what are the pros and cons of the course?
Is one seemingly harder/got more content than the other?

Which course combo would recommend out of WJEC/WJEC or the OCR/AQA one?

I really really can't decide between two places and this is what it comes down to.
This probably won't help, but I took chemistry at AS with OCR loved it! Even though I didn't think I would be any good at a science (my other subjects were history, english lit and geography) it was fun and challenging. Having said that, I dropped it at A2, new A Levels are replacing the old ones now and I had an AWESOME teacher... But still, I like the way OCR lays out their exam papers (lots of short answers), it makes it easier I think.

So perhaps you could consider chemistry with OCR.
by the looks of things, the chemistry syllabuses are virtually identical - the WJEC might have a pinch more but its not a huge difference. this is just by inspection of the specs for the two AS units.

haven't gotten round to looking at the biology ones, so i can't comment on that.

don't know how the coursework/unit 3 and 6 works on either of them as im only going to start AS this september. I'm sure an A level student on one of the courses will be able to be of more help. though the chem specs are virtually the same.

Latest