The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I did both, and personally I thought geography was really easy (very blaggable) but deathly boring. History isn't too hard, but it's harder than Geography, but also a lot more interesting. Unless you're interested in coastal erosion and river formations, which I wasn't.
Reply 61
it really depends on what you want...would you rather have a boring and easy 2 years doing Geography (which is a load of common sense anyways) or would you rather have a stimulating, informative and rewarding 2 years doing History (although it is more difficult to get a good grade). The choice is up to you, do you prefer a better end result, or a better learning experience?

:smile:
x
Reply 62
I did both, as they were my two best subjects, but defiinitly history, geography was so dull and there is a LOT of coursework.
Reply 63
Geography is more or less a walk in the park, were we'd laugh at each other and make awful jokes... LOL. Lots of colouring.

History is a nightmare. I loved the coursework but the exams went... well, we'll see tomorrow. And it's a LOT to remember, more than maths, science etc...
Reply 64
It's important to take subjects that you enjoy because that way you are more motivated in them and will probably do better. I am halfway through my History course and I'm really enjoying it- I would really recommend it, there's loads of variety and the coursework isn't too bad.
Reply 65
Woah, you sound very mature and level headed compared to some of the ex-year 9 students I know! :yeps:
Well i did both at gcse and i can tell you which i did better at tomorow :biggrin: Anyways it's not just about the grades, its about something you find passion for - in my case, i loved every aspect of geography - the learning was amazing and the exam was a peice of cake (i hope so anyways) its just that the revision is gruelling as you have to memorize lots of case studies.

And as for history, again the learning was so cool, but the exams were way harder as you need to time your self well as you write so much in such limitaed time. I hated the technique of history tho - it really restricted how i could express myself as there was always an "essay frame" or whatever.
But both of these subjects are as respectable as each other, and if your good at humanities, you'll be good at either!
I regret taking Geography instead of History. Geography isn't too bad, it's easy enough, but History is a stronger subject to take to A level as it is respected by the top universities, especially if you want to go on and study Law.
Reply 67
i took geography and History and overall history was more interesting for me. There is alot of information especially memorising lots of case studies for the 50% exam in the end which is soooooooo hard. But history is far more interesting personally i regret taking both. I wish id just taken history.

Anyway just because you are predicted high grades in geography doesnt mean you should take it as you might not even get those grades.

hope i helped
see ya
Reply 68
Hmmm, how strange, I was about to take Geography and History but then people are saying Geography isn't good...
joshphillips999
Hmmm, how strange, I was about to take Geography and History but then people are saying Geography isn't good...

It is! It's just as respected and as viable an option as History.

Just because Geography doesn't have that many essays... :rolleyes:

Taking History and Geography are two very strong subjects indeed, and both complement each other very well. :smile:

Latest