Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Setting up a website...

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have bought a website domain but now I'm not sure what to do next. I have absolutely no idea about web design or anything so need a simple website builder with modern templates. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can try joomla, it's pretty easy to set up
    http://www.joomla.org/download.html

EDIT: But what do you want to do with your site? If you want a blog, I'll recommend wordpress
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    you need hosting first.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollipoppers)
    Right, I have bought a website domain but now I'm not sure what to do next. I have absolutely no idea about web design or anything so need a simple website builder with modern templates. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
    You can try something like WordPress....or Dreamweaver.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollipoppers)

Thanks!
    Hey.
    Firstly, what are you looking at using the site for?
    There are a number of free Content Management Systems (CMS) available, but what you plan to use your site for will preference some over others.

Also, do you have hosting?
    If not, I find that freehostia offers a good service, and their free plan should cover your basic needs.

As for a simple site-builder, i use a CMS called WebsiteBaker which I quite like, and if signing up for freehostia, you can have it automatically installed onto the account, to save you the trouble of having to upload all the files and install it manually.
    There are numerous templates already existing for WebsiteBaker, or if you find a template elsewhere that you like the look of, it can most likely be converted to work with WebsiteBaker's system [I can help here if you want, as you say you have no experience of page-building!]

I much prefer WebsiteBaker to Joomla, as Joomla seems to be overloaded with functions

To give a more professional look, you'd want to change your DNS to point towards Freehostia nameservers, rather than having it redirect to yourname.freehostia.com

--
    Feel free to PM me, or send a message on MSN (address in profile) if you'd like more help with whatever; I'm more than happy to help where I can
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey you won't be able to create your site in Joomla as for that you need to have an in depth knowledge. You should try the website builders like www.Webstarttoday.com and anyone without any technical knowledge can create website easily. You can select from 100s of beautiful designs and make it LIVE immediately.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should try the free site builders like Weebly.com or webstarttoday.com

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 22, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.