The Student Room Group
Reply 1
sedirox
i'm doing my extended essay in math using statistics as my topic. i made a 2x2 consistency table to find the chi-square value for a specific set of data but my value was less than 1 so i cant find the corresponding probability on the chi-square critical values table. help please!! thanks in advance!!

Did you also apply Yates' correction to the 2x2 table?
Reply 2
The Muon
Did you also apply Yates' correction to the 2x2 table?

yes but my chi-square value is less than before!!
Reply 3
Are you looking to show that two things may or may not be associated?

Because you don't look up the value you work out, you look up the value which corresponds to the degrees of freedom (rows-1)x(columns-1) which is 1 in your case and also corresponds to the significance level.
Reply 4
ok then my significance level is 0.05 but that's the standard for all tests right? but then ,i'm doing about 7 tests for my essay and i know that all their degrees of freedom will be 1. so would all my chi-square values be the same?

(sorry, i have to self-teach myself statistics for my essay so i get confused easily)
Reply 5
I know virtually nothing about mathematics, but you are indeed correct that 0.05 is always the significance level for chi-square. I knew second year undergraduate Political Analysis would be useful for something haha!
Reply 6
sedirox
ok then my significance level is 0.05 but that's the standard for all tests right? but then ,i'm doing about 7 tests for my essay and i know that all their degrees of freedom will be 1. so would all my chi-square values be the same?

(sorry, i have to self-teach myself statistics for my essay so i get confused easily)

Yes, all the critical values will be the same though the test statistic may be different (which is what you compare it with)

Latest