The Student Room Group

First year was a joke..can I recover myself?

I spent my whole of first year partying and doing minimal work which is nothing new. I did manage to pass my first year exams but I got a D so only just (this was not unexpected, and however much the average medical student pretends to not work/thinks they've failed, I can assure you, all my anxieties were genuine). When I got my results, I was pretty happy because it meant I could have a great summer - earn some money and party more, but the more summer slips away, and the more I ponder upon second year, the more worried I'm getting. And this is why: All the people who failed will have been working hard this summer and will have a good foundation for second year; and the others who passed averagely/well will have worked harder through the year (or will be brighter than me, but let's not have a discussion about the amount of nights out one can have proportionate to brain potential in order to sustain a good grade) and will just know more than me.

So, my point is, will I be able to recover myself and pass well next year by working hard? Or have I really jeopardized second year, and possible all my other years at medical school? A little over-dramatic, I know, but it's fair to say I am in a pretty disadvantaged position right now.

Thank you for any opinions.
Reply 1
Oh and I know I've only got myself to blame, before anyone tells me off !
Reply 2
well you either pass or fail in the first few years.

job wise, you are usually judged on the results of your CP exams ni 4th and 5th years, at least in my med school i know this is true.

so if you were ere you'd be one of the smart guys. usually only the idiots get 60% + in the first few years.
It kind of depends on your examination system; does your end of year 2 result depend on the results for year 1? For example, at George's in terms of summative exams we have one at the end of year 1 (semester 2) and two in year 2 (semesters 3 and 4), and the results in each exam add up to a final mark at the end of year 2. If this were the case for you then you need to work harder to make up for year 1.

If however you only need to pass year 1 and your year 2 result will not depend on your year 1 result in any way then it isn't so bad, and year 2 can be a clean attempt, as it were. However if your exams are synoptic then you should use this summer to catch up because you probably won't have time to learn year 1 material and year 2 material at the same time!

Having said all this though, many people often put less effort into year 1 than they do for future years, it's supposed to be the year you have fun in, because it usually gets progressively more difficult as you progress through the course!
Reply 4
Going by some of your previous posts (*stalker*), are you a Glasgow student? I'm going into 3rd year so I might be able to give some more specific advice.
Reply 5
Meltdown30
Going by some of your previous posts (*stalker*), are you a Glasgow student? I'm going into 3rd year so I might be able to give some more specific advice.

So I am you week stalker ! But I share this account with my sister so ignore all the weird stuff (some seriously odd posts...) So does it make much difference in second year? I've heard various things such as a synoptic element and how second year stops you being a human being etc.
Reply 6
stoned yoda
So I am you week stalker ! But I share this account with my sister so ignore all the weird stuff (some seriously odd posts...) So does it make much difference in second year? I've heard various things such as a synoptic element and how second year stops you being a human being etc.

Second year is a LOT more work than first year. An average PBL is about 4 times the size of a first year one! I can't emphasise how important it is to make sure your notes are good as you go and to try and learn it!

The only first year stuff on the second year exam will be stuff that has been covered again in second year (although this is basically everything except diabetes. :p:)

The timetable is busier too - it's harder to go out til 3am on a Thursday night if you've PBL at 9am on the Friday! (People do it but it's hard for it to be a regular thing!) I did still go out but usually just on a Friday night. I'm very not hardcore when it comes to functioning on lack of sleep so I can't go out and be human at 9am the next day!

FRSs are really important in second year - they're mostly useful and are directly examinable. There was an entire question (30 marks) on the exam this year based on one genetics FRS.

Did you live in halls last year? A lot of people found it harder to study when their flatmates (doing degrees where they only had to pass first year, it didn't count towards their degree) wanted to party and convinced them to go out with them. Medicine exams are later too, which is annoying when everyone else is finished and going out! Second year is the last exam of all, enjoy. :p:

You can definitely do well next year as long as you work consistently throughout the year. Easter is also a good time to kick-start revision and to make sure your notes are up to scratch. If you're panicing by after Christmas, pick an easy SSM with hardly any teaching as this will give you time to revise (avoid anatomy, it's not easy! Something like malaria has hardly any work and they've never filled all the places...).

Phew, that's a lot. Is there anything specific you want to know? I'll be happy to answer, it'll relieve my boredom!
Reply 7
Meltdown30
Second year is a LOT more work than first year. An average PBL is about 4 times the size of a first year one! I can't emphasise how important it is to make sure your notes are good as you go and to try and learn it!

The only first year stuff on the second year exam will be stuff that has been covered again in second year (although this is basically everything except diabetes. :p:)

The timetable is busier too - it's harder to go out til 3am on a Thursday night if you've PBL at 9am on the Friday! (People do it but it's hard for it to be a regular thing!) I did still go out but usually just on a Friday night. I'm very not hardcore when it comes to functioning on lack of sleep so I can't go out and be human at 9am the next day!

FRSs are really important in second year - they're mostly useful and are directly examinable. There was an entire question (30 marks) on the exam this year based on one genetics FRS.

Did you live in halls last year? A lot of people found it harder to study when their flatmates (doing degrees where they only had to pass first year, it didn't count towards their degree) wanted to party and convinced them to go out with them. Medicine exams are later too, which is annoying when everyone else is finished and going out! Second year is the last exam of all, enjoy. :p:

You can definitely do well next year as long as you work consistently throughout the year. Easter is also a good time to kick-start revision and to make sure your notes are up to scratch. If you're panicing by after Christmas, pick an easy SSM with hardly any teaching as this will give you time to revise (avoid anatomy, it's not easy! Something like malaria has hardly any work and they've never filled all the places...).

Phew, that's a lot. Is there anything specific you want to know? I'll be happy to answer, it'll relieve my boredom!

Ah no that's wicked thanks :smile: Oh I had the full halls experience last year and I'm living with all non-medics this year, but I don't this will hinder/bother me. I'm quite good at keeping my head in the books when I want to (I just didn't want to last year, really !) and we're living round the corner from the library which will definitely help.

I am definatly aware of the increase in workload this year - I just really hope I can step up to the mark. A lot of people were working "full speed" this year so at least I know in myself I have the potential to do a lot more next year.

I actually don't mind some FRS's so don't worry there; I didn't miss too many last year.

And there is no chance I will pick anatomy, I'm really not a fan. And one thing that may work to my advantage is my fondness of biochemistry :o: as apparently this is a large part of the course next year? I also loved all the malaria stuff last year, so that does sound good.

I must say I'm a bit sad to hear about the larger timetable, but not at all surprised. I do like my time off to study on my own in the library for hours on end (I only discovered the loveliness of this tranquility when it was too late last year! ) but never mind.

One small thing; are there a lot of 9 o clock starts in second year? I'm not a fan of early mornings, but i accept the inevitability of these : (

That was all really helpful though, thanks!
Reply 8
stoned yoda
And one thing that may work to my advantage is my fondness of biochemistry :o: as apparently this is a large part of the course next year?

Yeah, there's quite a lot of in depth sciencey detail in second year.

stoned yoda

I must say I'm a bit sad to hear about the larger timetable, but not at all surprised. I do like my time off to study on my own in the library for hours on end (I only discovered the loveliness of this tranquility when it was too late last year! ) but never mind.

One small thing; are there a lot of 9 o clock starts in second year? I'm not a fan of early mornings, but i accept the inevitability of these : (

There's still plenty of time for PBL - Wednesdays were generally pretty quiet with sometimes only a one hour lecture.

I probably had an average of 2-3 9am starts per week, more when I had PBL at 9am. FRSs are almost all 3 hours long (and usually last at least 2.5 hours...) and are at either 9am or 2pm. If you want some timetables, PM me your email address.
Reply 9
Meltdown30
Yeah, there's quite a lot of in depth sciencey detail in second year.

There's still plenty of time for PBL - Wednesdays were generally pretty quiet with sometimes only a one hour lecture.

I probably had an average of 2-3 9am starts per week, more when I had PBL at 9am. FRSs are almost all 3 hours long (and usually last at least 2.5 hours...) and are at either 9am or 2pm. If you want some timetables, PM me your email address.

Ah you're alright thanks, I'll wait for the big day ! Sounds hellish, but manageable.
you passed therefore you are ok!
Reply 11
Most people forget a helluva lot of what they knew over the summer anyway. I work pretty hard all year and dont just cram, but as soon as summer starts theres no way on earth I'm thinking about medicine so I still forget tonnes. Obviously it'll be easier for me to revise because I must remember something, but you're probably not at the disadvantage you think you are. Just work harder next year.
Saffie
Most people forget a helluva lot of what they knew over the summer anyway.

:yep:

I remember a lot of 1st year but second is a mystery to me.
stoned yoda

I actually don't mind some FRS's so don't worry there; I didn't miss too many last year.

Some of them in 2nd year are utterly soul destroying!

stoned yoda

And there is no chance I will pick anatomy, I'm really not a fan. And one thing that may work to my advantage is my fondness of biochemistry :o: as apparently this is a large part of the course next year? I also loved all the malaria stuff last year, so that does sound good.

If you want an easy SSC and you're interested in viruses I'd recommend that. I was in 9-10 three days a week, had a couple of visits and an essay to hand in at the end of the 5 weeks. It leaves a huge amount of time for partying: it was awesome.

stoned yoda

That was all really helpful though, thanks!

I don't recall there being an absurd number of 9am starts (I am also not a morning person) - if there was more than a couple in a week I'd occasionally go to another group's FRS at 2pm rather than getting up for the 9am one :p:

Oh and if you did the sex PBL properly in 1st year you can extend your Fresher's Week festivities for a couple more days because it's the exact same as the first PBL in 2nd year!

The term after Easter is an absolute bitch though, so enjoy that.
Reply 14
stoned yoda

Well you'd be in my year :smile:

I got a D too, I'm not really bothered cos I know it down to me partying to much and literally doing none of the PBLs.

I just know that next year I'm going to do it properly and I know I can get a better grade :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending