The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I doubt business books will help you, as the statement is personal. You need to explain why you are a suitable candidate through your own qualities and motivation. Citing specific books you have read (as far as I'm aware) won't be too helpful
Reply 2
You don't need to read any books, a personal statement is about you not the subject.

I never read any books for my economics personal statement and got into all 5 choices

write about: why you want to apply for the course, what particular things you are interested in, any experience in that field, and i also talked about the subject being in the news so much
Try going on http://www.economistshop.com/asp/default.asp and looking for something that interests you. Not how-to books but innovative ideas and leaders.

Then when you to do your PS DON'T just cite them but explain the ideas and give your opinion.

Books are great to use in statements but only when done right.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. I understand you probably dont need to read any books, but wont it help me get a bigger knowledge of the subject which can be reflected in my statement, which will obviously make me stand out from others?

I have read a few PS and some have refrences of books in them and the describe how these books made them gain interest in the course.

I was thinking about reading this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Marketing-Philip-Kotler/dp/0273720643/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249992922&sr=1-1
As i want to take a management course geared towards marketing. Do you think its worth it?

Cheers
Reply 5
Today I just went down to the local book shop, to buy some books on management and marketing. However I did buy 2 "How-To" books. So i guess this wont be good for my PS but it will allow me to understand the subject more allowing me to write better in my PS.

What books could I include in my PS. I have looked on the economist shop but am not really sure.

Thanks
Reply 6
For a management PS, you do not need to have read any books at all - just say how you think you'd be suited to a management degree course and also how it would help you progress in later life (career options etc). If you did want to read anything, then I think just read introductory texts, such as: The Undercover Economist. Although this is primarily an Economics textbook, in management at Nottingham, we do Economics modules and so these texts could help. However, I would not bother citing any of these in your PS and so it would be solely for personal interest. It would possibly be better to spend the time ensuring that you are hitting the top grades tahat you possibly can as they do not help that much.

Latest

Trending

Trending