The Student Room Group

Do I NEED to have Physics A-level to do Maths at Cambridge?

Right, so I'm going into sixth form in September, with the intention of doing a maths degree at the end of it all. I would love to go to Cambridge, but I'm not sure whether my current A-level option choices are going to hinder my application.

Atm, I intend to study Maths, Further Maths, French and German. I realise that this is a slightly odd mixture of subjects, but it combines two areas of study that really fascinate me. However, do you think the fact that I'm not doing physics will make a big difference? Furthermore, if I were to do additional mechanics modules (M4 & M5), would that be a sufficient substitute?

Any advice regarding my query or just maths at Cambridge in general would be greatly received. Thank you!! :smile:
my friend applied to cam to do maths, got an interview and does not do physics. Can't see why you'd have to have it either.. as long as you've got a maths a level and further maths preferably, don't see why you'd have problems.. good luck
Reply 2
No. M1 covers most of the Mechanics on the entire course. M1-M2 alone is worth alot more than physics A-Level imo.
Maths, Further Maths and any other reputable subject is probably the best combination.
No you don't need Physics, but another science might be helpful as Cambridge maths offers from what I've seen tend to involve AAA in Maths, Further Maths and another scientific subject.
Reply 5
jj193
No. M1 covers most of the Mechanics on the entire course. M1-M2 alone is worth alot more than physics A-Level imo.

im not sure about that, mathmatically yes, but physics is as much about understanding as problem solving and 2 maths modules is not a substitute for 6 physics.

but for cambridge i don't think it would hinder your application not having physics, its not like you want to do engineering or anything, maths and further maths should be fine. But i spose having physics or another science wouldn't hurt as they are mathmatical. Just pick subjects you will do best in, AAA with a language is better than AAB with Physics!
Reply 6
As with Computer Science, the Cambridge website lists it as "highly desirable". However, if you've done M1-3, and if you're looking at M4-5 as well, you shouldn't have a problem. I got an offer for CompSci with Maths (which includes half of the first year Maths Tripos) and, on my SAQ form, I only put that I was doing M1-2 (and I have no Physics), although I ended up doing M3 as well.

Basically, if you can show your passion for the subject, and you acknowledge that you might be missing something by having not done Physics A-level and mitigate it by doing extra preparation (e.g. M4-5, reading books, doing projects, etc.) then there's no reason why you should be disadvantaged.
Reply 7
I'm sure there was a thread about this a few days ago.
To even do physics as a NatSci option at cambridge all you need is 3 modules of mechanics, not even a physics A-level!
Reply 9
Phone the admissions office and ask them.
Reply 10
Thanks for all the posts. I phoned the admissions office and they basically just quoted what it says in the prospectus - that physics is 'highly desirable', so didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know...
here_is_sam
Thanks for all the posts. I phoned the admissions office and they basically just quoted what it says in the prospectus - that physics is 'highly desirable', so didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know...

I know people here studying maths who did maths, further maths and 2 arts subjects. So no, you don't need it, but it's probably useful.
Reply 12
Depends which college. Trinity require you to have maths, whereas Clare gave me an AAB offer, with the B in any one of physics/chemistry/latin.

Obviously if you're going to do maths with physics physics is kind of a good idea.
here_is_sam
Atm, I intend to study Maths, Further Maths, French and German. I realise that this is a slightly odd mixture of subjects, but it combines two areas of study that really fascinate me. However, do you think the fact that I'm not doing physics will make a big difference? Furthermore, if I were to do additional mechanics modules (M4 & M5), would that be a sufficient substitute?

Any advice regarding my query or just maths at Cambridge in general would be greatly received. Thank you!! :smile:

No - it won't make a difference at all*.

Actually, the Maths in M2/3 is probably more complex than what you cover in Physics, but I suppose you miss out on some analytical skills. There's no need to take on M4/5, although it might help you with some questions if you plan on doing the STEP (recommended).

I envy that you can keep up with two languages at A-level. It might not be as typical, but it's a lot more useful in the real world and if you enjoy them, go for it.

*: I should probably use phrases like this with a pinch of salt, but really, I can't see it affecting your chances. Best of luck with your application.
Reply 14
highly desirable means that it's not compulsory, means that you have a good chance.

For ComSci (my subject), F Math is highly desirable, but I didn't do it. I studied Computing, Math, Physics, and Economics instead.
No

(see signature - and note I also got BB in Science GCSE)
If you don't want to do physics then don't do it because you'll grow to hate a subject you've felt obliged to take!
Reply 17
Thanks for all the advice - feeling a lot more confident with my options now :smile: Just got to wait for GCSE results... ><

Latest

Trending

Trending