The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No I'm not an idiot. I got 1 and I am perfectly happy with my grades. An A is a great achievement for me (considering I was predicted a B for that specific subject) I was just comparing them with my friend's grades (2) because she told be that by taking the extra subject and getting an A in it I was ruining my scores.
No need to be rude.
Reply 21
FAILINGKID
THISSSSSSS.... TO op: what the hell.... i thought we are punishing u for getting a B... and what kind of a question is this...

I didn't get a B.
XXMuneebXX did, the one with the asian parents!
Hmm I think they're basically the same tbh.
Reply 23
I would say one because it shows you have an even bigger range of subjects that you have done well in. No one will care if you have one more A rather than A*, to me thats brilliant. Oxbridge don't ask for quite straight A*s you know, I got 5 A*s and my college were asking people with 4+ A*s to think about applying there, but i hated Oxbridge haha but thats another story.
taigan
No I'm not an idiot. I got 1 and I am perfectly happy with my grades. An A is a great achievement for me (considering I was predicted a B for that specific subject) I was just comparing them with my friend's grades (2) because she told be that by taking the extra subject and getting an A in it I was ruining my scores.
No need to be rude.

1) If you are perfectly happy with your grades, why do you care about other people's opinions?
2) Umm, in theory, your friend is wrong. I'm sorry I can't find a link but apparently, in the Cambridge Point systm thing it's 8 points per A* and 7 per A, i.e.:

9A* 2A = 86
9A* 1A = 79

so yours would be better according to this system.

btw - "taking an extra subject and getting an A in it, I was ruining my scores". what? an A is still a very respectable grade, i.e. your friend is coming across as quite a perfectionist...

tbh, all that matters is that you're happy with your grades, so OP, **** everyone else because they're your grades and no one elses.
Reply 25
Is it only me that fails to see a difference? They're both good so stop making a big deal about it.
Reply 26
Yes you are. If you get 2 A's insted of 1 which is better? Does it take a genius to say 2? :rolleyes: Why did you even make this thread? :confused:
So...you did exactly the same as your friend PLUS a very good grade in an extra subject. What's wrong with that?
Reply 28
Malsy
:facepalm2: please. shush.

this.
seriously, what difference does it make?! they're both fantastically good imo.
Reply 29
It doesn't matter, they're both perfectly fine.

Just make sure you do well in your A-levels.
Reply 30
Number 1, as it shows that you are as good as number two but one A better. I could understand the question if it asked if getting 9A*s 1A and 1F was better than 9A*s and 1A, as the F shows a weakness, yet an extra A represents quite the opposite.
Reply 31
taigan
No need to be rude.

Think for yourself. Seriously, do you believe that if you were to swap one for the other it'd make even the remotest of slight differences.
Reply 32
They're both ****.
I took 15 gcse's and got straight A*s
Reply 33
Clearly 2 as you have to put more work in for an extra GCSE. Those who say 1 because of Oxbridge or whatever are just being pretentious.
Ooh La
Clearly 2 as you have to put more work in for an extra GCSE. Those who say 1 because of Oxbridge or whatever are just being pretentious.

:s-smilie: Do you mean the other way round?
Im confused, surely it's 1 since theres an extra A in there?
Both sets of grades have 9 A*s and 1 A however the first one has another A showing their ability to work to a higher standard even with bigger work loads? or am i missing something here?
Both pretty **** tbh. Why have you not got 11A*s or 10A*s? A's ruin everything. Jesus.
2) duh
dear God some of the answers here are so hilarious..
The answer is 1) without a doubt. Its exactly the same as 2, yet with an extra A grade!!

Uni's hardly look at GCSE's, and even if they do its just to get a basic idea of how well you did, they would never differentiate between the two options you gave here, so take the goddam extra A !
Reply 39
meatball893
:s-smilie: Do you mean the other way round?

Haha :smile: Yes, I do, sorry.

Latest