The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My gym is £25 a month and has dumbbells upto 100kgs, tis a good gym
Reply 21
Powerlifter
My gym is £25 a month and has dumbbells upto 100kgs, tis a good gym

Nice, Im stuck in a council gym until uni next year. Squat rack with about 200 kilos worth of plates, DBs froms 2.5-45 kilos (2.5 kg intervals) and best of all since its a council gym noone else ever uses the free weights, they all just sit on the rows and rows of cardio stuff with the occasional extremely low weight machine.

Cant complain much for 20 quid/month.
Reply 22
I do dumbells cause I am too lazy to go to the gym 3 x a week. It works pretty fine, I still go to the gym once a week to do cardio and my legs. Id say it's got me into decent shape.

edit-my dumbells go up to 50kg each. I can fit 3 weights on each side as opposed to the conventional two.
Quick question regarding the sets you should do. if after a week you get used to the set (of say 20 bicep curls, 5 times a day) should you: increase the number of curls, increase it to 6 sets per day, or increase the weight?
Reply 24
mipegg
But its not actual strength is it? Its poser strength. Building your arms and chest is ok but what about core lifts? Your legs+core is going to be completely neglected I bet

yes of course, my legs are embarassing, but i truly can't afford the gym, so i have to live with it for now and i'll sort them out eventually.
i'm not that big anyway, but i'm certainly bigger and stronger than someone that doesn't do ANY kind of weight training.
Something's better than nothing eh
Reply 25
Tintin and the Picaros
Quick question regarding the sets you should do. if after a week you get used to the set (of say 20 bicep curls, 5 times a day) should you: increase the number of curls, increase it to 6 sets per day, or increase the weight?

increase the weight.
aim to be doing around 3 sets of 10-15 reps per day, such that you can't really do any more
Tintin and the Picaros

You should stop, realise curls are for girls and squat
munn
increase the weight.
aim to be doing around 3 sets of 10-15 reps per day, such that you can't really do any more

Don't you mean every other day?

I thought rest days were important
munn
increase the weight.

Thankyou
Powerlifter
You should stop, realise curls are for girls and squat

Haha, maybe i'll get used to curls first then squat, some of those videos on your profile are pretty impressive.
Tintin and the Picaros
Haha, maybe i'll get used to curls first then squat, some of those videos on your profile are pretty impressive.

You have it the wrong way round, get used to squats first, then you won't need to curl
Powerlifter
You have it the wrong way round, get used to squats first, then you won't need to curl

ok
Reply 32
Reflexive
Don't you mean every other day?

I thought rest days were important

i meant per day you do them, every other day works for some, not for others, others do 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, or only monday/wednesday/friday etc and that works for them too
munn
i meant per day you do them, every other day works for some, not for others, others do 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, or only monday/wednesday/friday etc and that works for them too

cool just checking
Reply 34
Stop giving him a hard time and just answer the thread.

So what if he doesen't wanna go gym, he's not you,

Stick to what your doing and let him do what he wants instead of kicking him down.
Reply 35
Powerlifter and mipegg speak the truth, they're only trying to stop the OP wasting time on doing crap exercises.
Reply 36
Clever100
Stop giving him a hard time and just answer the thread.

So what if he doesen't wanna go gym, he's not you,

Stick to what your doing and let him do what he wants instead of kicking him down.

Bitch, please...
Reply 37
Dickhead, please..
not forgetting the joys of the press up (y)
you can implement lower body exercises easily into your routine so your legs dont feel neglected
monday upper tuesday lower wedneday upper etcetc

Latest