Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weight/Fat Loss

How do I lose fat/weight?

Spoiler:
    Show
    The amount of calories you are consuming has to be fewer than those that you are burning through daily life and exercise, thereby creating a 'Calorie Deficit'. How do you achieve that?
    • Eat less
    • Eat better*
    • Exercise more
    • Exercise harder

*It is not necessary to eat a 'good' or 'healthy' in order to lose weight as the bulk of your progress is determined by the extent of your calorie deficit. However, eating better will improve the way you look and feel as well as your progress (slightly).

Every successful weight or fat loss diet utilises one or more of the factors listed above irrespective of whether that is something you are aware of or not.

See one TSR user's amazing weightloss story here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post37970751

How much should I be eating?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Everybody is slightly different with respect to sex, age, size, activity level, etc it is impossible to put an exact figure on how much you need to eat in order to lose weight. A much easier guide is that if you want to lose weight reduce your portion sizes until you begin to lose weight.

Now this does not have to be anything extreme or drastic (ie; no sub 1500 calorie diets and no obsessive calorie counting). You should be aiming for 1-2lbs of weight loss per week MAXIMUM (500-1000 calorie daily deficit), much more and you potentially reduce the amount of fat you lose (= bad). Most people will have few problems losing weight if they're eating properly, they've scaled back on their portion sizes slightly and they're getting plenty of exercise (something which will be covered later).

Useful Links:

FITDAY - Free Diet & Weight Loss Journal

Self NutritionData - know what you eat

How do I get a six-pack? Will doing lots of situps/crunches give me a six-pack?

Spoiler:
    Show
    No.

To get a six pack you need to lose fat and/or develop some abdominal muscle size to make them more prominent (the most important factor for the majority of people is fat loss).

You cannot spot reduce fat, to lose fat from your abdominal region you have to lose fat across your whole body. If that wasn't enough situps, crunches and most abdominal exercises in general work a very small muscle group, which in itself will burn very few calories and contribute very little towards fat loss, and they have very little potential to develop any abdominal muscle size. In short they're a very slow and inefficient way of working towards getting a six pack.

So what is the answer? Clean up your diet first and foremost. As far as fat loss training goes you want to be working your larger muscle groups (ie; legs, back, chest, shoulders) and more intensely to contribute more towards fat loss. You should be weight training, paying particular attention to the big compound movements (eg; squat, deadlift, overhead press, row, etc) to develop core strength, maintain existing muscle mass and perhaps enhance fat loss. One or two quality supplementary exercises (eg; ab wheel, turkish getup) and some cardio (perhaps even HIIT) would round this off nicely.

Useful Links:

Figure Athlete: From Muffin Top to Six-Pack - A Guide to Getting the Abs Everybody Wants

How To Get Ripped – Mike Robertson

Month Long Bodyfat Blitz - Bishamon

Does eating fat make you fat?

Spoiler:
    Show
    No.

A calorie excess (ie; consuming more calories than you are burning through exercise) is what causes fat gain and this will occur irrespective of what you eat (eg; fats, protein, carbohydrates).

Fat is an essential dietary requirement and it should be a part of everybody's diet.

Useful Links:

Junk Science: Low-Fat Diet Myth Busted

What about weight loss pills?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Most weight loss products have little or no efficacy, they account for a couple of extra percent of weight loss (if that). For these products to be licensed and put on sale they simply have to demonstrate that they're safe, not that they actually work. If someone says that they lost 'x' amount of pounds using a weight loss aid it's almost certainly due to other changes they've made to their lifestyle (eg; eating less, eating better, exercising more, exercising harder) that they've simply neglected to mention.

These products are also not without their side effects. Caffeine is a common ingredient which can give you heart palpitations, anxiety, insomnia, etc. Ali, for example, inhibits fat absorption and should you consume fat it will give you very severe diarrhoea. Adios is little more than a laxative and/or diuretic to give you the illusion that you're losing fat. Ephedra based products have been linked to sudden death and are of questionable legality.

Sadly there aren't any shortcuts.

Useful Links:

Mayo Clinic: Over-the-counter weight-loss pills: Do they work?

I can't lose weight, I have a slow metabolism. What should I do?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Are you consuming a 500 calorie deficit, getting at least 10,000 steps per day, resistance training 1-3 times per week and cardio training 1-3 days a week?

If you answered no you almost certainly don't have a 'slow metabolism' at all and the above is what you should be aiming to do.

If you answered yes you need to see your doctor. If you do genuinely have a 'slow metabolism' there isn't a magical supplement or exercise here that can help you.

What about 'Detox' diets/'The Master Cleanse'/'The Cabbage Soup Diet'?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Your liver, kidneys and lungs are perfectly able to 'detoxify' your body if you eat healthily, get plenty of quality exercise, cut back on alcohol consumption and reduce the amount that you smoke. Following a radical diet such as one of those mentioned above, which are ultimately a mixture of malnourishment and starvation will actually hinder this process. The idea that a brief spell on a crash diet can compensate for life's excesses is sadly untrue. The only people that advocate such diets are delusional or dishonest (ie; they want to sell you 'detox' books and supplements).

Useful Links:

BBC: Scientists dismiss 'detox myth'

The Guardian: The detox myth

Does exercising before breakfast burn more fat?

Spoiler:
    Show
    For most people it doesn't particularly matter as long as they're consistent and it gets done at some point. Some people find that they can exercise at a higher intensity and/or for longer in a fed state which could be more beneficial in the long run but it is down to personal preference.

Some people complain about feeling sick when exercising after eating however that is often due to what they eat before exercise, not the exercise itself. A way around this is to eat a small, easy to digest meal around an hour before exercise.

Useful Links:

Workout 911: Performing Cardio on an Empty Stomach?

T-Nation: The Fasted Cardio Roundtable Featuring Christian Thibaudeau, Lonnie Lowery, David Barr and John Berardi

Body Recomposition: Fasted Cardio and Fat Loss – Q&A

The New York Times: Really? The Claim - Exercising on an Empty Stomach Burns More Fat

What bodyfat percentage am I?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    People can look ver different, even at the same level of bodyfat. This is due to their body composition (i.e. ratio of fat:muscle).
    Leigh Peele wrote a really good article on this here: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages
    Here are the pictures from the article for a quick guide:

General Training Questions

How do you perform [insert exercise name here]?

What routine should I follow?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Recommended Training Programs

Beginners

Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Training

"Starting Strength is a unique approach to coaching weight training, written by coaches and designed specifically for training beginners. Learn how to effectively and safely coach the basic core lifts and their programming in an easy to do, step-by-step process. Featuring the most heavily illustrated exercise chapters in print, Starting Strength shows the reader not only how to teach the lifts, but how to recognize and correct technique errors. The book features flip animations of each exercise performed correctly, along with practical interpretations of coaching theory, and the anatomical, physiological, and mechanical principles of training. It will help prepare coaches and personal trainers to be more effective strength and conditioning professionals."

Used by many people on this forum. It is highly recommended that you buy the book as most online versions are modified.

Westside For Skinny Bastards

"Many of my programs are based on the principles popularized by Louie Simmons and the Westside Barbell Club. Through my extensive research and experience, I’ve found that this system produces the best results. I’ve also found that, like any other system, you must manipulate it to suit your specific needs.

We’re all well aware that the Westside Barbell Club is the home to some of the strongest, most gifted powerlifters in the world. The results this system has produced speaks for itself. The problem is, I don’t train powerlifters. In fact, most of the younger athletes who come to me aren’t physically prepared to jump into such a demanding program.

My clientèle consists mainly of football players, wrestlers, baseball players, hockey players, basketball players, and track & field athletes. These athletes range from high school kids to professionals. Through my experience of working with these different athletes, I'm constantly manipulating the system so it better suits an athlete’s specific sport and his training level."

Another very popular program.

Stronglifts 5x5

"StrongLifts 5×5 is a foolproof training program guaranteed to pack on solid muscle and raw strength... while burning body fat... regardless of your age, genetics and bodytype... in only 3 workouts a week of 45 minutes each."

A good and popular program but beware the hype surrounding it.

The New Rules of Lifting

"A revolutionary method of weight lifting using today's science for maximum results. In The New Rules of Lifting, fitness guru Lou Schuler and strength-training expert Alwyn Cosgrove boil down the most recent findings on weight lifting and fitness to create a program of workouts that focuses on the movements at which the body naturally excels. These six "real-life" movements-squat, bend, lunge, push, pull, and twist-compose three complete programs for three distinct goals: fat loss, muscle gain, and strength improvement.At home or at the gym, these routines can be mixed and matched for a year's worth of workouts that will keep boredom at bay and lifters challenged long after most plans have called it quits. And while coordinated, useful muscles will always turn heads at the beach, they'll also help you live better and longer. Besides providing comprehensive workout programs, The New Rules of Lifting covers much-needed background on aspects of lifting that are often overlooked, like warming up, nutrition, and meal planning. Throughout, Schuler and Cosgrove debunk strength-training myths, troubleshoot dangerous pitfalls, and clearly illustrate moves with black-and-white photographs."

A beginner friendly book on training and nutrition in general. It but it does have a good novice routine but also more advanced fat loss, hypertrophy and strength routines.

Intermediate to Advanced

Bill Starr's 5x5

"Relatively easy program to understand. It nicely illustrates the importance of making systematic progression to drive gains and increase the core lifts."

Great program. You will make awesome progress with all your main lifts and pack on a lot of size provided you are eating properly. It has been around for a long time and remains very popular.

5/3/1

"Elite level lifters to absolute beginners have all used the 5/3/1 Method; the basic tenets of strength training have and will never change. Big exercises, constant progress, and personal records will never go out of style.

The 5/3/1 Method is truly for anyone that is looking to get stronger. This is not a fancy training program that requires special equipment or Master's degree - all is required is your dedication to moving more weight than you had ever dreamed."

It is a good routine and it will 'work' for beginners however their progress will be much slower than a basic linear progression program (eg; Starting Strength, StrongLifts).

Useful Links:

Routines, Routines, and more Routines - MuscleTalk

How many reps/sets should I do?

Spoiler:
    Show
    That depends on your aims. Check out this image for an easy answer:

How should a beginner train? I cannot afford to go to the gym, what can I do?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Before you start investing in expensive gym memberships or home gym equipment form a regular exercise habit.

The basics...

1) Walking. Ensure that you're getting your 10,000 steps per day (3-5 miles) as an absolute MINIMUM. Walk to school/work/uni if possible, go for a walk in your lunch hour, take the stairs instead of the lift, etc. If you're still struggling to meet this take a 30 minute walk in the morning before breakfast and another 30 minute walk in the evening after dinner. Once you're getting your 10,000 steps then you can think about supplementing this with further cardio and strength training.

2) Cardio. Start the Couch to 5k running routine. It is cheap/free and it works. Run outside because it is a better workout than using a dreadmill and more enjoyable.

3) Strength. Pick one lower body movement (ie; squats, deadlifts, lunges, stepups, etc), one upper body pull (ie; pullups, chinups, dumbbell row, bent over row, etc) and one upper body push (ie; pushups, dips, overhead press, etc). Perform 3-6 sets of 6-12 reps with 60-180 seconds rest 1-3 times per week. If you find an exercise too difficult substitute it for an easier one (eg; negative pullups from a jump instead of pullups) and vice versa (eg; full pushups instead of 'girl'/kneeling pushups). Simplefit is a good site to check out.

Useful Links:

NHS Choices: The 10,000 steps challenge

BBC: 10,000 Steps to Health - Myth or Magic?

Couch to 5K

HIIT - Beginner

HIIT - Intermediate

HIIT - Advanced Part 1

HIIT - Advanced Part 2

Mark Young Training Systems: Metabolic Workouts for Fat loss - A Waste of Time?

Which martial art should I do? Which martial art is best?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bear in mind that if self defence is one of the driving motivations behind this decision most fight outcomes are determined by size and strength. Irrespective of which martial art you choose it takes a significant amount of time (easily several years) to become proficient and re-address this balance. The single most effective thing you can do is avoid confrontation - avoid people or places that are known for trouble, know when to walk away, know when to shut your mouth/apologise/buy-someone-a-drink and be streetwise.

If self defence isn't that important to you pick something that you enjoy. Many places provide cheap, or even free, 'taster' sessions so that you can try out a wide range of clubs or classes to see which best suits you. If you intend to take the sport very seriously and compete you are best looking for a club that has a successful fighting team rather than the more informal classes held by the large gym providers.

Useful Links:

Street Safety - Suzy Lamplugh Trust

UK Directory of Martial Arts Clubs

The 'Which martial art should I take up?' Thread

Why do you train? What do you train for?

What is your height and weight?

Spoiler:
    Show

What music do you listen to when you workout? What is your favourite workout music?

Spoiler:
    Show

General Nutrition Questions

What should I be eating and in what proportions? How do you eat healthily?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Get a plate/bowl:
    • 1/4 should be a good source of protein
    • 1/4 should be a good source of carbohydrates
    • 1/2 should be fruit and/or vegetables

A separate category isn't included for fats however many of the foods mentioned below do contain fats. Provided you eat a good and varied diet including foods such as oily fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil, animal products, etc you should have few, if any problems meeting your daily fat requirement.

Good Sources of Protein:

Meat - Poultry (eg; Chicken, Turkey, Duck), Red Meat (eg; Beef, Pork, Lamb)
    Fish - Tuna, Salmon, Sardines, Mackerel, Prawns, Trout
    Dairy Products - Cheese, Milk, Yoghurt, Whey Protein
    Eggs
    Nuts - Almonds, Brazil, Walnut
    Seeds - Pumpkin, Sunflower, Linseed, Flax
    Pulses - Beans (eg; Haricot, Garbanzo, Butter, Aduki), Lentils (eg; Red, Green)
    Other - Fermented soy products (eg; Tofu, Tempeh), Mycoprotein (eg; Quorn)

Good Sources of Carbohydrates:

Grains - Whole Wheat Pasta, Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Brown Bread, Oats
    Pulses - Beans (eg; Haricot, Garbanzo, Butter, Aduki), Lentils (eg; Red, Green)
    Fruit and Vegetables - Sweet Potato, Potato, Fruit and Vegetables in general
    Other - Quinoa, Amaranth

Fruit and Vegetables:

Aim for 10 portions of fruit and veg daily, ideally consume 10 different types and colours. However, this is a problem area for many and 10 portions of frozen mixed vegetables, if that is only what you can afford or stomach, is better than none at all.

Avoid fruit juices, they are relatively high in sugars and calories, raw fruit is a better alternative.

Avoid:

Processed food (eg; sausages, cheap burgers, takeaways, ready meals, fast food, pre-packaged foods, sweets, cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks, etc)
    Adding sugar to food or drinks
    Adding salt to food or drinks
    Artificial sweeteners (eg; Aspartame)
    Highly refined carbohydrates (eg; caster sugar, white flour, white bread, 'white' pasta)

Useful Links:

The PERFECT Meal: What to Eat to Lose Fat & Build Muscle - Nick Tumminello

What do fitness professionals eat? - Michael Gray

What if I cannot afford to eat healthily?

Spoiler:
    Show
    It does not have to be expensive to eat healthily.

Check out your local greengrocer, sometimes they are cheaper than your local supermarket. If you can't afford fresh fruit and vegetables frozen veg is a cheaper and quicker alternative.

Dried beans and lentils can be bought in large bags for a matter of pence. Soaked overnight and cooked properly they can potentially make 10s of meals. Similarly things like brown rice can be bought very cheaply.

As for meats and fish go for cheaper cuts (eg; chicken legs and thighs as opposed to breast, braising steak as opposed to rib eye). You may have to cook them for slightly longer but often you'll get more flavour. It is also a good idea to browse supermarkets in the evening when the staff are beginning to reduce stock which is nearing it's sell by date.

Useful Links:

Goodness Direct - Sells cheap Organic nuts, seeds, beans, lentils and other groceries.

HotUKDeals: Groceries - Latest deals and vouchers on groceries.

mySupermarket - Compare supermarket prices and save money on your groceries.

Where can I buy good supplements? Where can I buy cheap supplements?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Highstreet (Expensive)

Holland and Barrett - Stock their own range of supplements on-line & in-store.

Tesco - Stock Maximuscle, Sci-MX Nutrition and SIS on-line & in-store.

Snow + Rock - Stock SIS, Powerbar, Clif Bar on-line & in-store.

Many other highstreet retailers (eg; Argos, Boots, etc) and health food shops (eg; GNC, etc) stock supplements however generally they are a very expensive way of buying your supplements.

On-line (Expensive)

Optimum Nutrition - Product Catalogue and Nutritional Info/Product Info

PhD Nutrition

Maximuscle - Very expensive.

Met-Rx

BSN - Product Catalogue and Nutritional Info/Product Info

Science in Sport - Available in many specialist running shops as well as on-line.

On-line (Cheap/Bulk Suppliers)

BodybuildingWarehouse

BulkPowders

BulkSupplementsDirect

IronScience

Monster Supplements

My Protein

Many of the bulk suppliers offer a 5% discount to new customers using referral codes. Please check out the link below for discount codes for MyProtein and BulkSupplementsDirect:

The Ultimate Supplement Discount Code Thread

Many of these sites also have 'price beaters' where further savings can be made. A brief guide is shown below:

1) Go to MyProtein

2) On the left hand side click on their Price Beater

3) Type in http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/, http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/, http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/ or www.ironscience.co.uk - This should knock at least 5% off of MyProtein's normal price

4) Go for their Impact Whey Protein

5) At checkout, use one of these Discount Codes (if you are a new customer) and/or a NUS code (if you have one) for a further discount

Contributors

Bishamon

burningnun

commandant

cowsforsale

Lady Venom

Misogynist

The Blind Monk

xoxAngel_Kxox

Shawshank

Becca

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, basically I've put on so much weight over easter and study leave and my summer ball is in 2 weeks. I would like to get back to my normal weight and lost half a stone by then, so I have the chance to look decent in a dress.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might go about this?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're very overweight, half a stone in 2 weeks isn't going to be achieved by sensible dieting and exercising. If you literally only need to lose this much to be your IDEAL weight, chances are it will take longer. You could probably lose a couple of pounds, maybe four in total, and those other 3 pounds won't make a huge difference to your dress anyway.

Start changing small things about your lifestyle now, and give yourself time to adapt to it, then your weight should fall back to your ideal.

Also, I don't think half a stone gain since Easter is "so much weight" haha I could have put that on in Easter Week alone!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've eaten so much junk and drunk probably a bit too much over the past few months thats its all gone to my face and my stomach/hips and I feel huge.
    I know I'm not overweight, I want to get back to 8.5 which was what I was. I was thinking of crash dieting but that's probably an even worse idea..
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you honestly are only going to do it for a few weeks and really have the dedication, then something like Atkins could be for you.

But let me stress, this is not a long term solution. The weight will drop off, but if you're not comitted to a healthy lifestyle then you'll put it straight back on once you stop the diet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest Dukan or Atkins for a two week diet but just be prepared to gain quite a bit of it back after you stop. Low carb diets in my experience have helped me lose water weight and a few extra pounds quickly but it's not exactly healthy - you just have to decide if you want to take the risk to feel comfortable on the day (side effects aren't that bad - just as soon the two week period is over make sure you start a decent healthy exercise/eating regime!).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i want to put on a bit of muscle and tone up. i have a running machine and one of these multi-gyms at home http://www.weighttrainingequipmentce...ulti-gym-2.jpg and today i bought some maximuscle high protein promax

im 6ft(ish) and weigh about 11.5 stone. already got a bit of muscle on me but i dont go to the gym, and want to lose belly fat (i know you cant 'weight-loss target' the stomach directly) to allow the abs to come through

if someone could advise me on when to take the protein and what foods to eat aswell as how to make the most of the equipment i have, id appreciate it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please bear with me

Ive just started trying to lose weight and am finding it hard to understand the amount of calories I need to burn and ingest to lost around a pound a week.

I calculated my BMR which what 1719, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that number.

Anyway, I went to the gym this morning and ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill, burning 180 calories. does this then mean I can't eat more than 180 calories today or I won't have a deficit? I know thats not right because not eating won't work.

I think i'll ask people who work at the gym next time but for now I just need someone to explain what I'm doing wrong. No matter how much i do at the gym i can't seem to burn more than 200 calories, which doesn't seem like its enough.

help please:eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, your BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn if you literally just sat in bed all day.
    You're lucky, because your BMR is pretty high, wich means you have a higher metabolism and can eat more (assuming you've calculated it corectly). Mine is only around 1350!

So, using myself as an example - I do a quick run every day, some housework, and some weightlifting, which burns about 170 calories.
    So, if I eat around 1200-1300 calories - which is my daily goal (don't ever go under 1200, you'll go into starvation mode and your body will just hoard fat!!) - I get a calorie deficit of around 320. Which is good (I remember reading somewhere that one lb of fat takes about a 1700 calorie deficit or something to lose? So if you add up your calorie deficits over the week you can work out roughly how much you might lose)

I'd reccommend you sign up to myfitnesspal.com - that will let you track what you're eating, how many calories you're burning, and at the end of each day let you know how much you've burnt overall!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxcartwright)
    Please bear with me

Ive just started trying to lose weight and am finding it hard to understand the amount of calories I need to burn and ingest to lost around a pound a week.

I calculated my BMR which what 1719, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that number.

Anyway, I went to the gym this morning and ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill, burning 180 calories. does this then mean I can't eat more than 180 calories today or I won't have a deficit? I know thats not right because not eating won't work.

I think i'll ask people who work at the gym next time but for now I just need someone to explain what I'm doing wrong. No matter how much i do at the gym i can't seem to burn more than 200 calories, which doesn't seem like its enough.

Would point out that you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking that's a run, that's slow jog at very very best, running you'd burn through 180 calories in under 10 minutes. Don't mean to be harsh but fooling yourself into thinking you've done more/better exercise than you actually have is one of the primary reason people don't lose weight, you've got to be truthful with yourself when you say what you did.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxcartwright)
    Please bear with me

BMR is the calories your body uses through the day basically keeping you alive, pumping blood,brain function etc etc etc. Add on to that calories burned through being active and exercising and you get your TDEE - Total daily energy expenditure.

Using myself as an example: my BMR is something like 1800 and my TDEE averages out through the week at about 3000(I'm really active) - If I wanted to lose a lb a week I would eat at 2500 calories a day.

Also, I wouldn't trust what the machine tells you, in terms of calories burned. If you want an accurate number get a decent HRM with GPS, set your details(height,weight,age and maximum HR) and go outside for a run - still take that number with a pinch of salt, but it's fairly accurate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    counting calories is important but definitely not the only think to take into consideration. The quality of these calories is also important. Try cutting down on processed foods and foods with added sugar and sugary drinks. Doing this is good for your health and will aid with weight loss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Calculating this stuff is one thing, but it's all ultimately just an approximation.

The fail-safe way is to just keep reducing your intake by 100-200 calories each week until you start losing weight. Whatever your BMR really is, you'll find it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! ,

Would be great if you could read this and give me some advice, as I'm a confused newbie when it comes to fitness. :confused:

I'm trying to lose weight, and have recently joined a gym.
    I basically have 2 months membership left before I go back to university
    and I want to know how to make the most of it and if what I'm doing is right.
    (I will also get a membership at uni)

I'm 65kg right now, and would like to be 60kg by christmas time (is that too much to lose in that space of time?), with the fastest weight loss happening during this summer period.

I am very very physically weak and always have been. I'm a vegetarian and I think I have very weak muscles,legs get very tired climbing up huge flights of stairs and can't really lift heavy things. However, I am more concerned with losing weight rather than becoming stronger, but will strength training and gaining stronger muscle enable me to lose weight faster? Beacause I feel weak when I run and my legs hurt, so my treadmill-ing might be shorter and less intense than it should be.

I have a couple more questions:
    1) How accurate are the calorie counters on gym machines? (treadmill, cross-trainer/elliptical)
    2) How many calories do you burn to lose weight on these machines, and in what space of time?
    3) Does anyone have any great workout tunes that keep them running? (I don't think I can keep using Destinys Child songs forever!)

and any tips for a general gym routine would be great.
    Thanks so much for reading!

XXX
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrookeDavis)
    Hey guys! ,

Would be great if you could read this and give me some advice, as I'm a confused newbie when it comes to fitness. :confused:

I'm trying to lose weight, and have recently joined a gym.
    I basically have 2 months membership left before I go back to university
    and I want to know how to make the most of it and if what I'm doing is right.
    (I will also get a membership at uni)

I'm 65kg right now, and would like to be 60kg by christmas time (is that too much to lose in that space of time?), with the fastest weight loss happening during this summer period.

I am very very physically weak and always have been. I'm a vegetarian and I think I have very weak muscles,legs get very tired climbing up huge flights of stairs and can't really lift heavy things. However, I am more concerned with losing weight rather than becoming stronger, but will strength training and gaining stronger muscle enable me to lose weight faster? Beacause I feel weak when I run and my legs hurt, so my treadmill-ing might be shorter and less intense than it should be.

I have a couple more questions:
    1) How accurate are the calorie counters on gym machines? (treadmill, cross-trainer/elliptical)
    2) How many calories do you burn to lose weight on these machines, and in what space of time?
    3) Does anyone have any great workout tunes that keep them running? (I don't think I can keep using Destinys Child songs forever!)

and any tips for a general gym routine would be great.
    Thanks so much for reading!

XXX
    In answer to your main question, yes strength training will help you to lose weight faster. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns. Since the key to weightloss is to burn more calories than you consume then this is a good thing. When performed correctly, strength training is also good for a load more reasons, especially for females:
    -improves bone density (important since females are particularly at risk of osteoperosis later in life)
    -improves balance (especially when training with freeweights rather than machines)
    -improves the look of your body - more muscle + less fat = that "toned" look people are after.

Your other questions -
    1) calorie counters are not very accurate!
    2) it's hard to say, depends on your body composition really
    3) we have a stickied thread for workout tunes

Read the first post in this FAQ thread, and have a look at the other stickies in the forum. There are loads of potential gym routines floating around on here if you have a look.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a noob. Currently 6' and 75 kg. Want to get asthetic/ chizled / toned. What programme is best for me?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Check out a BB split, something like push/pull/legs or similar. Eat more.

Never heard anyone call it "aesthetic" who isn't already in the lifting game...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So im off away in a few weeks and want to lose weight before i go.

Im not expecting stones to drop off.

Im a size 14/16 and a 36E - around 12.7 stone - so not exactly a beach whale but not a skinny mini either.

So i'd like to lose as much weight as i can possible.

Any tip's, diets etc.

I was thinking of the special k diet to cut my calories down really low then very low fat meals. with the gym at least 5 times a week for an hour / hour & half.

Would that be suitable? or even work.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annoymouse)
    So im off away in a few weeks and want to lose weight before i go.

Im not expecting stones to drop off.

Im a size 14/16 and a 36E - around 12.7 stone - so not exactly a beach whale but not a skinny mini either.

So i'd like to lose as much weight as i can possible.

Any tip's, diets etc.

I was thinking of the special k diet to cut my calories down really low then very low fat meals. with the gym at least 5 times a week for an hour / hour & half.

Would that be suitable? or even work.
    surely a troll? anyway, you've left it pretty late (like most people do) to get in shape for a holiday. just do some weights and some cardio - actually work hard (i.e. work up a sweat). don't do painfully low intensity exercise for an hour, convincing yourself that this is adequate, like 99.9% of female gym-goers do. alter your diet to include complex carbs, lean meats, good fats, vegetables and cut the junk food (particularly the ****ty simple carbs like chocolate which most females love to gorge on). hope for the best. also apparently cut salt intake in the last few days to stop water retention and get a more defined look.

tbh you'll probably get attention or people saying you look good regardless. not exactly difficult for a female to get attention or compliments, unless you look hideously fat/ugly. not the case for guys.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    surely a troll? anyway, you've left it pretty late (like most people do) to get in shape for a holiday. just do some weights and some cardio - actually work hard (i.e. work up a sweat). don't do painfully low intensity exercise for an hour, convincing yourself that this is adequate, like 99.9% of female gym-goers do. alter your diet to include complex carbs, lean meats, good fats, vegetables and cut the junk food (particularly the ****ty simple carbs like chocolate which most females love to gorge on). hope for the best. also apparently cut salt intake in the last few days to stop water retention and get a more defined look.

tbh you'll probably get attention or people saying you look good regardless. not exactly difficult for a female to get attention or compliments, unless you look hideously fat/ugly. not the case for guys.
    No im not a troll.

and exams have impended on gym going too

Well i dont think im hideously ugly. I can pull 10 guys in one given night.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.