The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bow is nice, it's where me and the misus live. Reasonably close to (the currently closed) Blackfriars station.
sarforaz
Thanks for the link Ladydeborah - ill have a closer look later but is it mainly for students? Ill be starting a job, so i actually want to avoid students :biggrin:
A friend was saying that Canada Water isnt great because no direct tube line to go from?
And also Kensington is crazy expensive isnt it?
Looking at the other places now. Thanks :smile:

Not all of it is expensive, try West Kensington?
There is the jubilee line at Canada Water, East London isn't the greatest of places.
Reply 22
Well I'm from east london... its not the greatest of areas compared to others but its not as bad as people make it out to be....
Stratford would be an ideal choice with the 2012 Olympics located there.. however it must be quite pricey i think but the tube links etc are quite awesome from there..
Docklands area is lovely!!! So i'd suggest looking into that area too...
Reply 23
Clapham South is not too shabby at all. The prices for renting aren't too dear, and I'm sure you could find a flat there in your budget.

In London, it's difficult to find a balance between areas that are too expensive and areas that are too rough.
East London isn't that bad at all xD I do agree with the person who suggested the Barkingside area though, I'm moving there in a months time, just up the road from Fairlop station....How about South Woodford? That's pretty nice, I'm not sure how pricey it is though.
Reply 25
I think you'd do well to look for places on the DLR route in the docklands cannary wharf area. You can easily get to tower gateway on the dlr then it is only a couple of tube stops to temple.
Reply 26
Undiscovery
Maida Vale, St John's Wood, Angel... That's if you prefer North...

When I first decided on moving to London, I thought I would go for North London. But when I first looked into it, I assumed it would be more difficult to come in from the North to get to Temple/Blackfriars? Will need to have another look I guess. Angel doesnt look too far, but a few changes...

Natasharox
I think your budget's a bit optimistic. Having rented in West Hampstead (a nice, but not central, area), I paid £801 a month for a ****** studio with a shared toilet. And that was the cheapest I could find! I'd suggest you have a look round the areas first though, as I personally didn't like living in London once I got there.

To be honest, dad has offered to buy and if that is the case, I can increase my budget a lot. But i'd rather pay for it myself, with my money and hence the budget is lower. I know London is very expensive and you can easily spend 400k+ but you have to set the line somewhere. I've had a look at some places, and the flats look quite nice, so with a bit of luck maybe ill be ok :biggrin:
I wanted to narrow down the search to a handful of places, before visiting them all. Dont know London, so didnt even know where to start! Yea a lot of people seem to be 'love it or hate it' and I never thought I'd move to London but it will be... interesting? :p:

Overmars
Sup sarf,

If you need to travel to Temple, you're going to struggle to find something affordable nearby. I'd look to pay rent for a few years, tbh. Something around Southwark would be ideal. And if you don't mind taking the tube for upto 40 mins, then you've got a lot of choices. For North London, look at Angel -- fairly good area and not ridiculously expensive.

Hey :biggrin:
My dad was telling me to by something walking distance :rolleyes: I showed him a flat for him to buy for me (was only 3.5mil :p:)
Ill happily increase the travel to 40 minutes but it made more sense to look closer first then widen the net if nothing is found?
We'll go to the football and watch Arsenal v Liverpool :woo:

tom_pinnock54
Bow is nice, it's where me and the misus live. Reasonably close to (the currently closed) Blackfriars station.

Ooh I like the look of Bow. Had a quick browse and there were some very nice looking flats (and within budget!) Nice one :biggrin:

RosePetal
Not all of it is expensive, try West Kensington?
There is the jubilee line at Canada Water, East London isn't the greatest of places.

Went to Kensington once, looks very very nice. I should definately have a dig around then. A friend said the Jubilee line was closed/being worked on so a lot of hassle? Maybe he was talking about Surrey Quays though...
Lol I have a lot of family in East London so I'm somewhat keen to avoid.. :p: Probably wouldnt be as much of a problem because I'm asian too :p:

Joseph90
Clapham South is not too shabby at all. The prices for renting aren't too dear, and I'm sure you could find a flat there in your budget.

In London, it's difficult to find a balance between areas that are too expensive and areas that are too rough.

Haha thats so true. Makes it even harder when you dont know which areas are rough or not.

Thats for all the help guys :biggrin: Got loads to look into now :woo:
Reply 27
Natasharox
I think your budget's a bit optimistic. Having rented in West Hampstead (a nice, but not central, area), I paid £801 a month for a ****** studio with a shared toilet. And that was the cheapest I could find! I'd suggest you have a look round the areas first though, as I personally didn't like living in London once I got there.

I too used to live in West Hampstead :smile: It really is a lovely area, but not very good for the OP, plus it's a bit pricey as you said. Whereabouts were you staying, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: incidentally, Stephen Fry and Emma Thompson both live there. How cool is that? :biggrin:
Reply 28
King4eva
Finchley

finchely looks good
btw ur sig is CLASS!

soo funny
Reply 29
Lil' Flo
finchely looks good
btw ur sig is CLASS!

soo funny

thanks
i just looked at your profile, which St. Saviours Primary School did you go to ?
property, whilst a home is also an investment. Have you thought about moving somewhere thats going to have house prices increase considerably? i live in bexley borough (the only london borough without a tube) and its 40 minutes plus 10 minutes on the tube from temple. that might be a pain now but in a few years the cross rail link will be in full operation and you will be able to get to the other side of london in under an hour. Abbey wood isn't the nicest area but its ideal for a first time buy especially with the regeneration that is due to get underway plus cross rail.

here are the maps of cross rail.

Alternatively, opt for east london. Very good tube access into town and you could even go south of the river into greenwich or woolwich and get the DLR although i personally would never live in woolwich. Greenwich would love to, Woolwich is no no.

If i was a first time buyer i would look for a cheap place that i know will make a nice number in a few years and then i would take the profit and move to somewhere else.
Emc2
I too used to live in West Hampstead :smile: It really is a lovely area, but not very good for the OP, plus it's a bit pricey as you said. Whereabouts were you staying, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: incidentally, Stephen Fry and Emma Thompson both live there. How cool is that? :biggrin:

I never knew Stephen Fry lived there - wish I'd seen him :frown: The most famous person I saw was someone off that Channel 4 show Vanity Lair.

I lived on Dennington Park Road, just off West End Lane. It was a niceish area for London, but I came to the conclusion whilst there that I much prefer the countryside!
Reply 32
King4eva
thanks
i just looked at your profile, which St. Saviours Primary School did you go to ?

no probs

the one in Ebute-Metta

the original one
sarforaz
I'm moving to London in December/January time, so I'm having to look for a place to live. Problem is, I dont know London at all! (Neither does my family).

I'll be heading to Temple tube station for work (that's the closest after Blackfriars which is closed at the moment).

I'd be looking for a place which is (preferable) 20 mins or so away on the tube (but up to 40 mins would be fine I guess).

I've found plenty of places online but the problem is not knowing which places are good areas! No idea where to avoid, where I cant afford and what would be ideal.

I'd actually be looking to buy (dad is helping with the deposit). Would be a 2 bedroom place and looking to spend £220k to £270k - I think similar properties to that would be around £175-225 a week in rent (as a guess if people have no ideas about buying but do about renting).

A friend suggested I should look at buying in the Docklands. Another family friend said around the Stratford/Plaistow/West Ham area.

Just a few more opinions/suggestion of places would be very helpful! Thanks :smile:

Harlesden, NW10

The area used to be dangerous, not anymore, its being regenerated

The house prices havent recovered yet, though.

It would be a great time to buy a house there and it would be worth a lot more in a few years.

Consider it.
Reply 34
I live just by Ealing Common, which is a rather nice area really (W5). Not too far out either.
Lived in Kensington all my life and would definately recommend it! Swiss Cottage is also quite trendy and a pretty civilised quiet area when considering it is quite central.
Reply 36
Lil' Flo
no probs

the one in Ebute-Metta

the original one

Ok cool i was there for a few years, but like you i also went to a lot of other schools, i went to grange and c.t.c. Do you know a girl called jisola ?..... she went to loyola jesuit.
ENFIELD! :biggrin:

Yeah I guess thats a bit too far. I have friends in Swiss Cottage & Finchley and they are nice areas.
Reply 38
South london is amazing!!!
Lol at idiots saying Marylebone, Maida Vale, Bloomsbury etc...

You have no chance there, they're crazy expensive.

Latest

Trending

Trending