The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i hate blighty
this is why I fail to see the point in democracy - idiots like you, who refuse to engage in genuine debate and cling onto their positions blindly - end up deciding the fate of this country.

If you "fail to see the point in democracy" I'm sure Zimbabwe and North Korea will welcome you with open arms. :smile:
necessarily benevolent
I heard the 'Horst Wessel Lied' played in a pub the other week. Does that mean everyone in that pub were Nazis too?

No but I can hardly imagine the reason the music is played at BNP gatherings is because some drunk bloke happened to choose it because of any other reason can you???
thethinker
What would be your solution? Who would you allow to vote if you kept such a system?

Probably anyone who satisfied a minimum requirement of intelligence (which would be set very low).

I would also insist, much more crucially, that they were versed in basic matters of politics, foreign affairs, economics, etc., to make sure that they could make an informed decision. I think that everyone who wanted to vote should say, spend 2 hours a week on study of these matters (with classes perhaps held by places like the OU), then take basic tests before voting to ensure good decisions were made.

I'm not a Nazi, just want the best for my country.
Reply 43
i hate blighty
this is why I fail to see the point in democracy - idiots like you, who refuse to engage in genuine debate and cling onto their positions blindly - end up deciding the fate of this country.

I'd engage in genuine debate with you if any of your points were actually engaging. Actually, come to think of it, if you'd actually made any points whatsoever rather than just spewing your completely irrelevant prejudices and hoping someone will take offence.
necessarily benevolent
If you "fail to see the point in democracy" I'm sure Zimbabwe and North Korea will welcome you with open arms. :smile:

If I may point out another fallacy, the rejection of one thing does not automatically imply the acceptance of another, especially when the number of possible political systems are vast (and certainly number more than two/three). :puppyeyes:
Gr3asy_L0ver
No but I can hardly imagine the reason the music is played at BNP gatherings is because some drunk bloke happened to choose it because of any other reason can you???

Why not?

Here you are:

Listen to it. Does that make you a Nazi? :smile:
necessarily benevolent
When you start using the vote as a means to your preferred end then you're doing nothing but imposing your ideals on everyone else, because you think what you believe in should be applicable to the populace instead of what the populace actually want. It's arrogant, unfair and tyrranical.

Its not to my prefferred end. Its the point that the populace don't really understand what they want, as they don't understand the implications of what they are voting for.
foxo
I'd engage in genuine debate with you if any of your points were actually engaging. Actually, come to think of it, if you'd actually made any points whatsoever rather than just spewing your completely irrelevant prejudices and hoping someone will take offence.

my god you are stupid
i hate blighty
Its not to my prefferred end. Its the point that the populace don't really understand what they want, as they don't understand the implications of what they are voting for.

So people should tyrannically decide things for them then. :fuhrer:
i hate blighty
Probably anyone who satisfied a minimum requirement of intelligence (which would be set very low).

I would also insist, much more crucially, that they were versed in basic matters of politics, foreign affairs, economics, etc., to make sure that they could make an informed decision. I think that everyone who wanted to vote should say, spend 2 hours a week on study of these matters (with classes perhaps held by places like the OU), then take basic tests before voting to ensure good decisions were made.

I would argue that IQ tests aren't that reliable (but that's another discussion. I think that these concerns can be solved by better education about politic theory and philosophy in school.
jismith1989
If I may point out another fallacy, the rejection of one thing does not automatically imply the acceptance of another, especially when the number of possible political systems are vast (and certainly number more than two/three). :puppyeyes:

Of course it doesn't, but merely setting out potential dangers of throwing off democracy isn't fallacious. It's just a warning.
i hate blighty
my god you are stupid

Don't call him stupid, make your point(s), if you wish. No one's going to be won over by having an insult thrown at them.
necessarily benevolent
So people should tyrannically decide things for them then. :fuhrer:

no, there are more options in politics than having universal suffrage or dictatorship :rolleyes:
necessarily benevolent
Why not?

Here you are:

Listen to it. Does that make you a Nazi? :smile:

Hmm no either you're missing the point completely or are just pretending to be stupid?

I didn't say listening to music from the Third Reich made you a Nazi, I was implying that there is more in the fact that such music is played at BNP gatherings than simply that they hate the top 40 ? Clear enough?
Reply 54
i hate blighty

Okay, you've actually attempted to make a point now, moronic as it is.

So, in other words, you'd leave the voting to the 'elite' with a nod and wink to the good old 18th century, and you'd enforce specific political beliefs before allowing people to vote. Do you not see the irony in this? In rendering the vote so utterly pointless, only the idiots that you so often berate would actually get off their arses to vote, not recognising the sheer futility of it all.
i hate blighty
no, there are more options in politics than having universal suffrage or dictatorship :rolleyes:

I didn't say dictatorship. I implied that if there is not universal suffrage then you're restricting the vote to a certain sector of society and so, well, it's one grouping effectively deciding everything for another. Who is anyone to decide whether or not people realise the implications of their vote? Why must political parties that conflict the views of the establishment not be allowed to contest elections fairly? Sounds like a fascist tyranny to me. :yes:
Gr3asy_L0ver
Hmm no either you're missing the point completely or are just pretending to be stupid?

I didn't say listening to music from the Third Reich made you a Nazi, I was implying that there is more in the fact that such music is played at BNP gatherings than simply that they hate the top 40 ? Clear enough?

At least the vast majority of them won't even be able to understand the German though. :rofl:
Gr3asy_L0ver

Yes. And I said, like what? Just "listening to Nazi music" doesn't suffice (especially when the article you referred to cites no original source).
Reply 58
I would rather a moral dictatorship tbqpfh.
Reply 59
If the majority of the public in a constituency wish to vote for a BNP MP, then I'd happily accept that they get in. Such is democracy. :pierre:

Latest

Trending

Trending