The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why should we when we won't bea able to control our interest levels and will have a no control over the monetary policy? However, there will be no trade costs and will reduce the cost of transactions so it is not as if there are no advantages.
We definately shouldn't switch to the Euro! There are so many countries in Europe that are suffering economically as a result of using a currency which they don't have direct control of to help their own economies. By having our own currency (which is still pretty strong) the Bank of England can set interest rates and cause inflation/deflation so our currency can help keep our economy in tow.

Euro = baaaad
Sterling = gooood

:smile:
Pound sterling.

There should be a poll on this.
Reply 23
Pound Sterling please. The only advantage I see of switching to the Euro would be I don't have to change my currency when I visit European countries. Other than that, er, no.
In the pro-Euro camp, I'm surprised that the issue of the Euro faring better than Sterling in this recession hasn't come up.
There are many shops in the UK which now accept the Euro anyway, we might even see it creeping in without government influence.
Youngers
all the coins are still like the same shape unlike our 10ps being different to our 20p and them being different to our 50p. Remember Euros also have loads more notes we only have £5 £10 £20 and £50 if your really rich.

So what if they have more notes ? Tbh, you'll rarely have to use more than 50s anyway. Who's gonna use a 500 note ? That's better though for exchanging money between big companies etc. You don't have to carry around a pack of 20s...I went to draw a considerable amount of pounds out of the bank the other day and it was all in 20s...I was like wtf, this doesn't fit my wallet. Not that the amount of notes or the colours are an important argument in this question anyway, for either side :P just saying. Imo, euro notes are by far better, although I love the 20p pound coins and the 2 pound ones.
fire2burn
There are many shops in the UK which now accept the Euro anyway, we might even see it creeping in without government influence.

yes but with far worse converting rates than it normally is. They still have the old pound to euro price, even though the pound is worth far less now...
Xristina
yes but with far worse converting rates than it normally is. They still have the old pound to euro price, even though the pound is worth far less now...

I went into a gift shop in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and they were offering products 1 euro = 1 pound. So good for anyone who was paying in Euros.

We'll see it slowly creeping and at some point a major retailer like ASDA or Tesco is going to turn round and say right we'll accept Euro's at self service tills and once that happens more and more will begin to do it.

If you go to Switzerland most people pay in Euros now as opposed to Swiss franc's and many companies give their employees a choice of which currency they wish to be paid in, because practically everywhere accepts them. Same with American dollars in Middle Eastern and South American countries, retailers prefer you to pay with American dollars as opposed to the native currency.
The pound. The EU and everything concerned with it is a monstrosity.
Reply 30
Longorefisher
The Euro is shockingly bad. Because of the centralised economy - countries at the economic periphery of Europe like Spain suffer greatly (just look at Spain in this crisis - 18% unemployment!!). The Spanish are so concerned there is debate about whether to switch BACK to the peseta.

the issue in spain is not so much the euro as the emplyment laws. firing somone is soo expensive it is usually easier to not hire them in the first place. I know this from first hand experience.

Also, they want to go back to their own currency so they can print their way out of a deficit.
Reply 31
fire2burn
I went into a gift shop in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and they were offering products 1 euro = 1 pound. So good for anyone who was paying in Euros.

We'll see it slowly creeping and at some point a major retailer like ASDA or Tesco is going to turn round and say right we'll accept Euro's at self service tills and once that happens more and more will begin to do it.

If you go to Switzerland most people pay in Euros now as opposed to Swiss franc's and many companies give their employees a choice of which currency they wish to be paid in, because practically everywhere accepts them. Same with American dollars in Middle Eastern and South American countries, retailers prefer you to pay with American dollars as opposed to the native currency.

retailers dont, 99.9999999999% of shops do not accept them. The only ones that do are people selling stuff on streets and in stalls who are just glad to sell you things, be it for gold, money, food, anything.
NoHands
retailers dont, 99.9999999999% of shops do not accept them. The only ones that do are people selling stuff on streets and in stalls who are just glad to sell you things, be it for gold, money, food, anything.

When I was in Kenya recently their equivalent to Tesco offered a discount if you paid for your shopping in American dollars as opposed to Kenyan shillings. The Majority of the petrol garages including those run be Shell and Texaco preferred payment in American dollars too.

And when my dad was out in Qatar with the RAF for 6 months, the retailers both shops and small stalls preferred payment in dollars as opposed to Qatari Rial.
Reply 33
fire2burn
When I was in Kenya recently their equivalent to Tesco offered a discount if you paid for your shopping in American dollars as opposed to Kenyan shillings. The Majority of the petrol garages including those run be Shell and Texaco preferred payment in American dollars too.

And when my dad was out in Qatar with the RAF for 6 months, the retailers both shops and small stalls preferred payment in dollars as opposed to Qatari Rial.

I highlighted south america :P

EDIT : oh i didnt. well, i meant to :smile:
Reply 34
fire2burn

I think M&S already accept Euro's nationwide.

Have to say Switzerland's a bit different to our situation, they have a complete mix of major cultures including languages, so it's not really suprising that several currencies have grown accepted.
I'm sure there's good economic reasons, but I say keep sterling because it makes out stand out a bit from the rest of Europe. :p:
To tell you the truth, let's just go back to bartering. Nobody ever heard of them there recessions in the good ol' Medieval Ages.
Reply 37
Against
Blatant Troll
In the pro-Euro camp, I'm surprised that the issue of the Euro faring better than Sterling in this recession hasn't come up.

Depends what you mean by better, you could argue that a weaker currency is a good thing in a time of recession it makes our exports look more competitive to foreigners, helping domestic industries, and boosting tourism as it becomes cheaper to come here on holiday. Also the weak pound is probably the only thing stopping inflation from becoming negative as imports become relatively more expensive. In fact the Swiss at the moment are desperately trying to devalue their currency as it is seen as a 'safe haven' for investors and has shot up in value, but is hurting their economy.
Reply 39
Pound rules fact, u gotta problem...

quote me and we can have an organised discussion.

Latest

Trending

Trending