The Student Room Group

NEED YOUR HELP! Marketing Vs Finance. St Andrews vs Cardiff vs Lancaster.

Hi Everyone,

I am an international student. So far I have received the following offers: Lancaster (PG Diploma Finance with the possibility to transfer to the MSc Finance ), St Andrews (MSc Finance) and Cardiff (MSc Strategic Marketing). I am awaiting offers from Bath (MSc Marketing), Birkbeck (MSc Finance) and King's College London (MSc International Marketing)

I have researched everything about these courses and the respective universities, but as the saying goes "the more you know, the more you don't know".

In my case, the main concern is to become more employable in the UK. As for the subjects I am interested in both finance and marketing. The only difference is that one is considered as a 'soft currency' and the other as a 'hard currency'. In practice, when I was applying for different roles in marketing , I have learned that degree is less relevant than the standing of the university. In fact many employers advertising marketing positions required someone with a degree in finance or other quantitative subject (apparently the quantitative skills are in great demand these days in every industry). But at the same time, I realise that the implications from this experience should not necessarily lead to a 'hypothesis-like' argument to pursue a course in finance.

As a result, I decided to turn to your fresh and, hopefully, impartial opinion as after a lot of research into the league tables (rankings, RAE, etc) I really do not know now which university should I go to and I would be grateful if you could help me choose.

There are a number of arguments which just make it more confusing for me.

Such as: you don't have to study marketing (mickey mouse degree) to build your career in the field of marketing. OR. We live in the century of professionalism and thus what you study determines your career path (more or less). OR. The perception of your competence by the employer is determined mainly by the standing of the university, thus the actual degree subject doesn't matter.

I am not inclined specifically to one or another point of view, but that would a lot of help if you could comment on those.

Latest

Trending

Trending