The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AlphaTango
You need to take to put fitness as a serious priority or you will not pass NCAITC (providing you get through selection).

I'm going at it 5 days a week at the moment, pus I've found myself temping in a warehouse which is involving a lot of heavy lifting and constant moving so it's all coming together, it is a priority as it's always something I've struggled with, and between now and then I know I can bring it right up to standard, but its the worry of being tested in the very immediate term
Reply 41
What did you wear for the P2. The information I was given just said dress appropriately
Original post by Liam5298
What did you wear for the P2. The information I was given just said dress appropriately

Smart casual. But the smarter end. Some turn up in a suit, but there's not really any need for that. Shirt, tie is good. It's not your interview, but it's still lead by an officer - likely the one who'll be doing your filter interview - so make a good first impression.
Reply 43
Original post by Biscuitface
I had my P2 Presentation yesterday and thought I'd write a few notes on what happened for anyone who has theirs soon.

The presentation itself was approx. 2.5 hours delivered by the commanding officer.
TIP: Arrive minimum of 15 minutes(20 to be safe) before the allotted time, one girl turned up at 12.30 (time of ours) and was told he was late, not a good start, and it will have been noted on the fire safety sheet.

The presentation itself covers history of the RAF, equipment and aircraft, expectations of you as an officer or NCO, considerations e.g have you thought about the fact you will be directly or indirectly involved in killing people? living away from home (sounds minor but homesickness is a common occurence in the forces), OASC, IOT, current affairs etc- all this stuff you should be expecting to hear, and you should have a good knowledge of all of these things before you go to the presentation- This will help you A LOT. It will give you confidence because you can answer the questions aimed at the group.

I found that with everyone so keen to make even the smallest impression, answering the questions before anyone else was hard- you must be quick, it was almost like being on a game show-knowing the answer is not enough, you have to say it first. And people will talk over you if you begin to hesitate so be loud and confident.

Although it is an opportunity to make an impression, you're not being assessed and I got the feeling that the Flight Lieutenant didn't ask enough to any individual to go away remembering anyone specifically by the time of their interview, he was more impressed with us as a group because we could answer all the questions, and quickly.

The presentation will cement what you already (should) know, and more importantly, this presentation is a brilliant indicator to show what you DON'T know so you can tailor your research.

We were asked if any of us were ready for interview by the Corporal that showed us to the room and settled us in. 4 or 5 out of 15 put their hands up and the Corporal asked one of them to name some RAF bases. They did that, and after mentioning Ascension Island and Brize Norton the Corporal asked what aircraft were there and his answer quickly dried up.
Considering this is bread and butter stuff, they were not ready for interview and now realise that. This is definitely a positive outcome for them though, now they know they need to do more research and in more detail.
The Corporal was not trying to embarass anyone, just making a point about how good you need to be.

They also mentioned that statistically, 1 out of 17 of us would get a job! Not to put us off, but to give us a reality check and emphasise how competitive and tough the application process is.

I'm now going to go away and get my research done, practice my answers with a friend- because how you communicate your answers is very important- they want to see how well you communicate orally, so practice, practice, practice.

I'm going for Intelligence Officer and Air Traffic Control Officer.

Any questions on the P2 give me a shout

Had my P2 Officer Presentation just this week. Thought I’d add a quick reply to this thread for a more up to date review (Nov 2023).

First thing - dress code. “Smart” can be pretty vague. You won’t look out of place wearing a full suit and tie (a majority of the guys there were. I went for a quarter-zip, shirt, and suit trouser bottoms). Equally, smart jeans/chinos and a shirt wouldn’t be looked down upon. But if possible err on the smarter side to be safe.

First thing I was asked at the main desk was for my passport. I had a whole folder with my education certificates, national insurance, birth certificate, etc (as per requested on the info sheet you can view on your RITS portal for the P2 Event). They didn’t even need to look at anything else other than my passport - I think because I’d completed all the tasks on my RITS portal prior. So maybe to save a bit of faff on the day, it wouldn’t hurt to have got all the tasks sorted on your portal ahead of time. Maybe they might need them for booking your CBAT though (as they give you the option to book your CBAT after the presentation; though I chose no to).

I got there about 30 mins before the stated start time and there were two other guys already there waiting, so just got chatting. Highly recommend just getting to know everyone there; the group should only be fairly small, and it just makes the whole thing easier and more fun if you get chatting to everyone. All going well, they should be equally as passionate as you :smile:

Then the presentation. The event said 10:00-12:00pm but the presentation itself was only about 1 hour of that. Very friendly female officer presented to us. Definitely bring a pen and paper and don’t be afraid to take photos of some presentation slides (e.g. there’s a slide that has the entire structure and details for what’s happens each week of MIOT). We weren’t “quizzed” as such on anything, although a good knowledge base going into it was super useful (for confidence if nothing else). Conversation with people before and after is most definitely going to be RAF-centred, so you don’t want to be the one person who’s not got the confidence to join in the chat. Contents of the presentation have already been covered in other replies, so won’t bog you down with the details again. Main thing to note, there’s lots of advice about OASC and Filter/Shine interview tips, so definitely take notes there.

Afterwards, as a surprise to me, they gave us the opportunity to book our CBATs there and then. A few did, a few didn’t. No biggie either way. They run pretty much every Tuesday and Thursday. Book when you’re confident and can plan ahead. As the AFCO are happy to cover train costs, they aren’t most pleased if someone books and has the then change it.

After everything, people are just sort of loitering in the reception area chatting to staff and each other. Great chance for any last questions (there’s loads of time for Q&A throughout the presentation as well). Also good chance to get any phone numbers of other people there; one, just to have people to go through the process with, but also to maybe arrange practice interviews with each other down the line!

All in all, really enjoyed the whole thing. Definitely got my juices flowing and great to meet some other potential future officers. This thread was a great help to me, so I just wanted to provide a bit of value back to everyone!

Hope this helps! Any questions - happy to help :smile:

Latest