The Student Room Group

oxytetracycline for acne - anyone on them/been on them?

ive just started these antibiotics and had a few questions -
how long did they take to work? ive been on them 2 days and some spots have already gone. im guessing its a fluke as the doctor said itd take 10 weeks!
also, how did you get on with drinking alcohol whilst on the antibiotics?
did anyone get any bad side effects?

thanks
Reply 1
I literally got smashed every night and even took the antibiotic with the alcohol lol took it with beer! Needless to say the antibiotic stopped having its anti acne effects on me
Reply 2
ShiVji
I literally got smashed every night and even took the antibiotic with the alcohol lol took it with beer! Needless to say the antibiotic stopped having its anti acne effects on me

the doctor said its fine to drink but i may experience vomiting hmm. he didnt say itd stop it from working!!! hope it doesnt. i need a miracle and im not giving up my lifestyle for acne though haha
Reply 3
alcohol definitely stopped it from working because alcohol is alkaline and it stops the antibiotic being released into your bloodstream as it does with any other medication. I advise you dont take the antibiotic anymore and wait till your 21 and if acne still persists, then get yourself accutane prescribed. (assuming you have moderate acne)
Reply 4
I have been on the exact same thing. Personally it never made a huge difference for me, although i always struggled taking them twice a day.

I also think my acne is more due to my oily skin than normal acne. My spots tend to be whiteheads instead of the large, deep spots associated with acne. I honestly found using a good, OTC facial wash 3 times a day helped more than those antibiotics.
I drank whilst taking oxytetracycline and it still worked.
Reply 6
I havent had oxytetracycline but I had lymecycline which is very similar but for body acne and it worked a treat and as long as you dont drink heavily every night they should still work.
Reply 7
brokenalien
I drank whilst taking oxytetracycline and it still worked.

howlong did it take for your skin to be completely clear?
madeline06
howlong did it take for your skin to be completely clear?

I saw an improvement after a month or so (I can't remember that well, it was 6 years ago!). I stayed on them for a couple of years. My skin was never completely clear, but it did improve a hell of a lot. I went from lots and lots of small white spots and some big red ones on my face, back and upper arms to no white spots at all and nothing at all on my upper arms or back, but I still got a few on my face (probably due to make-up).

Hope that helps :smile:

Latest