The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wider reading doesn't help hugely unless you have an incompetent teacher. What does help is writing every little bit of info down as its said. If you're a slow writer, you're screwed (get a laptop?). Some people say you should reread your notes every weekend, but just reread them for tests and then type the whole thing up during study leave. My history notes ran to over 50 pages of A4, but typing it all up and reading it over 2-3 times means I can still walk you through the syllabus.
talon1579
Wider reading doesn't help hugely unless you have an incompetent teacher. What does help is writing every little bit of info down as its said. If you're a slow writer, you're screwed (get a laptop?). Some people say you should reread your notes every weekend, but just reread them for tests and then type the whole thing up during study leave. My history notes ran to over 50 pages of A4, but typing it all up and reading it over 2-3 times means I can still walk you through the syllabus.

FIFY PAGEES? wow hate you guys! I do my A levels in Asia and I have eh... more than 800 pages of typed notes for A levels history. goodness. I'm not even kidding!!

And I did no extra reading on my own. *GRUMBLES*
Maybe it was 100, actually. 50 might have just been 1 module.

800???????? That doesn't seem possible.
No substitute for reading. End of story.
Reply 24
Anon the 7th
hard work and good memory

Basically this. Also read examiners report + mark schemes to know what the examiners are after.
Reply 25
Well I only done till AS level and scraped my A in the subject :p:

But my advice is like others have said ESSAY TECHNIQUE, ESSAY TECHNIQUE. I know it worked for me... as in two of my papers I got As on the dot. For a repeat which I orignally got in a B in. I looked up technique for the first time and got a rather high A :smile:

Another thing is do lots of past papers. I can't say this for all boards but the one I did my AS with were fond of using the same questions over and over again every couple of years with maybe a slight twist to the argument you need to present. Which meant as long as you knew your stuff you could adapt it to suit the argument the question requires of you. From what I heard from those who did do it at A2 it was the same at A2.

Good luck on your GCSES and your A2s. Think postively :smile:
Reply 26
I'd say know your syllabus really really well. I found that when I started the AS level course I got mixed up easily over names and dates and what was happening when, so it helps if you start with a school textbook for basic chronological knowledge and build this up to more specific texts. Even that sounds like a nightmare ha but make sure you stay on top of notes. Make notes in lessons or collect handouts and make sure you file them in order and keep on top of it. Its very likely that you'll have A LOT more reading than GCSE so it helps if you're prepared too. If you find out in advance what is on your syllabus you can read up on the subject, even if its just basic knowledge.

...And I have just realised I did none of these things ha ha, but I wish someone had given me this advice and I probably would have found things a little bit easier!
Listen in class, do all the set essay questions and really take into consideration the teacher's marking. Obviously, read as well, but pick up upon the MAIN EVENTS of the module you are doing, and revise the smaller events only in how they affected the larger events.

If that makes sense.

I'm not quite sure how I got 100/100 in module 2...no real revision, and eh?
Reply 28
RedRevolver
Listen in class, do all the set essay questions and really take into consideration the teacher's marking. Obviously, read as well, but pick up upon the MAIN EVENTS of the module you are doing, and revise the smaller events only in how they affected the larger events.

If that makes sense.

I'm not quite sure how I got 100/100 in module 2...no real revision, and eh?

This is completely off topic but does MKP mean anything to you? If not, then my apologies ha!
read widely & use the info effectively by using a historian's view on a event contrasting it with another historian's view on the same event.
find evidence to support both. always present a balanced argument when structuring your essay questions.
have your own view.
know your dates/events/etc - make references to them to demonstate you have knowledge

answer the question from the start...no introductions. ask your teacher to help you channel your knowledge through a good exam essay structure. have a exam technique
You don't need to know many facts in History A Level, it's about how you answer the questions. Focus on this. Get your exam answers perfectly worded and in a layout. I can help you later on in the year, if you want.
Plute
This is completely off topic but does MKP mean anything to you? If not, then my apologies ha!

Yes, yes it does. Hey. :cool:
Reply 32
RedRevolver
Yes, yes it does. Hey. :cool:

I used to go on there yeeeears ago but recognised the username. I was "unexpected." ha
Reply 33
Just take rigorous notes, even taking down stuff that you might not feel is relevant. I got a B at A2, after having an A in AS. Got too demotivated in the last year so it dropped to a solid B. Just try stay motivated, and revise.

Latest

Trending

Trending