The Student Room Group

Some questions

Hello everybody!

I am thinking about studying Vet. Science in the UK. For the moment I am mostly interested in the Universities of Cambridge, Liverpool and Edinburgh.
I am studying in a country in with the marking is the following:
6 - that's the highest possible mark, it's like A
5 - that's like B
4 - that's C and goes on to the mark 2 with which you can't graduate.
Here the educational system is a bit different, when we are applying for universities we are doing it with the marks we have from 9th to 12th grade.
So I am thinking do I have any chances with the following marks:
Biology - 6, 6 (we are studying that subject just in 9th and 10th grade) so I have two As
Chemistry - 5, 6 (again just in 9th and 10th grade), my average mark is 5.50 which is exl.mark here
Physics - 6, 6 (9th and 10th grade)
Maths - here my grades are not the best - I have one 4 and two 5. so that means one C and two B. If in my 12th year reach a good mark I will have 5 for the whole four years period, so is B enough?
What is concerning my other subjects (at the moment I am studying economics) I have just As, in 9th grade have one B in Accounting, but anyway everything another is As.
I have big work experience in all sectors - lambing, farms, vet.clinics, kennels, also have experience in the zoo with wild animals, riding schools, I am experienced both with small and large animals. I suppose this is going to help a lot, but my question is should I prove my experience some way? I mean I have practice in a farms, which I haven't visited from 2-3 years, but I would like to use it in the application. Should I have some kind of declarations from the places I had worked or that what I had learned from there and written in my statement is enough? Also I have great recommendations from 4 vets, farmer, from people who work for the Blue Cross, from my riding teacher, from person owner of stable, teachers and zoo director. Is that enough? I have a little experience also with dentists clinic, can I use that, too?
I still don't have my BMAT result, but if it is hood (more than B) do I have any chances?
And my last question: I have some successes outside the VetMed can I use them too? I have awards for essays, have awards from ecology competitions, also I am a Junior ski champion...
I am especially interested in Cambridge, but if i don't have chances prefer to don't loose my time.
Thank you very much in advance:smile:
Reply 1
im not sure i understand your education thing. what country are you studying in? is that the european baccalaureate?
your work experience looks good, you have a lot of variety. the liverpool requirements are to have 4 weeks worth of experience with vets and 6 weeks worth in other animal places, so if you have that then thats great. stuff from 2-3 years ago is still ok, as long as you remember what you did there, but it might be useful to go back for a refresher if you havent done that type of work experience since.
BMAT is marked differently. it is only used by cambridge and RVC. heres the website: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/
you can send off the references with your appliction, they are very useful.
all your other stuff is good to, the extra curricular things show you have outside interests and skills, and you seem to have been very sucessful with that which is always good.
you may have to do some english test to show that you have a sufficient level of english, but that seems fine.
i suggest you email all the universities to check if your qualifications would be ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending