The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc in Finance - Cass, Oxford, Manchester

Hey guys,

I just received my B.S. from a good/not great college in the US. I graduated with honors and had a 3.86 GPA (i'm not sure how that translates to the graduate distinctions in the UK). I will be taking the GMAT soon and hope to get a very good score. I'm taking this year off to raise funds for graduate school, but I plan to apply for the finance courses at Cass, Oxford (Said), and the University of Manchester. How comparable are these programs, in terms of the coursework and their reputations? Thanks.

Brandon
Reply 1
In terms of reputation, where? Reputation on Wall Street or in the City? This said, Cass and Manchester do not compare to Said Business School in their ability to get you an interview.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
I was wondering more about reputation in the United States. It's obvious to me that Said is better known in the US, but how do you think a graduate from Manchester or Cass would do in the US job market?

Also, how do the MSc in Finance degrees at those two compare to the MPhil at Cambridge/Judge?
Reply 3
blopez0487
how do you think a graduate from Manchester or Cass would do in the US job market?
They would be handicapped severely compared to a graduate from a US school.

blopez0487
how do the MSc in Finance degrees at those two compare to the MPhil at Cambridge/Judge?

Very poorly.
The MFE at Said is extremely intense and so is the MPhil at Judge.
From what I've heard even MFE at Oxford is lightweight compares to the Mphil Finance at Cam.

The Mphil is really more suited to someone who wants to pursue finance further in academia, eg. PhD etc. (hence why Cam only wants first class students) I don't think it will be an easy access to employment etc... Said is better at that.
Reply 5
verticalforce
From what I've heard even MFE at Oxford is lightweight compares to the Mphil Finance at Cam.

The Mphil is really more suited to someone who wants to pursue finance further in academia, eg. PhD etc. (hence why Cam only wants first class students) I don't think it will be an easy access to employment etc... Said is better at that.

If you're looking at getting a banking job in the US, I wouldn't recommend Manchester or Cass. Cambridge, Oxford, London School of Economics and possibly Imperial and Warwick. Otherwise, stay in the United States. Not that the US school are necessarily better than Manchester or Cass, but that the employers will know more of them.
Does anyone know how fierce competition is for Said's MFE?
Reply 7
Lord_Farquad
Does anyone know how fierce competition is for Said's MFE?

You need excellent academics, strong references/statement and access to a large chequebook. This will give you a reasonable chance of being accepted.
Original?
You need excellent academics, strong references/statement and access to a large chequebook. This will give you a reasonable chance of being accepted.

Define excellent academics
Lord_Farquad
Define excellent academics

Top 10% of the class. 700+ GMAT.

However, Ox is more lenient than Cam when it comes to grade - as in they still let people with 2.1 in if you've got references and work experience etc.

Cam just looks 100% at academic. No chance of getting in without a first class degree.
Reply 10
Original?
If you're looking at getting a banking job in the US, I wouldn't recommend Manchester or Cass. Cambridge, Oxford, London School of Economics and possibly Imperial and Warwick. Otherwise, stay in the United States. Not that the US school are necessarily better than Manchester or Cass, but that the employers will know more of them.

What makes Imperial and Warwick a better choice? Are the courses higher quality or is it just because of reputation?
blopez0487
What makes Imperial and Warwick a better choice? Are the courses higher quality or is it just because of reputation?

Both.
But mainly reputation.

Cambridge, Oxford and the London School of Economics are the safe choices.
If you cannot get into them, it is probably best to stick to the US.
Going to a second or third tier university in the UK is not going to increase your employability in the US.
Reply 12
I think after glancing over the programs, I'm definitely going to apply to LSE and Warwick.

I'll be taking the GMAT in October. Does anybody have an idea about how high I need to score to have a good shot at being admitted? I'll be supplementing this score with very strong undergraduate grades and a good internship.

Also...as I am from the US, "A-level mathematics" is a term I'm not too familiar with. Could somebody please clarify exactly what this means?

Thanks.
Reply 13
flugestuge
Both.
But mainly reputation.

Cambridge, Oxford and the London School of Economics are the safe choices.
If you cannot get into them, it is probably best to stick to the US.
Going to a second or third tier university in the UK is not going to increase your employability in the US.

I thought Imperial has a strong reputation in the US?
ElemenT'
I thought Imperial has a strong reputation in the US?

I am sure that some scientists have heard of it.
It is certainly not widely known.
Reply 15
blopez0487
I think after glancing over the programs, I'm definitely going to apply to LSE and Warwick.

I'll be taking the GMAT in October. Does anybody have an idea about how high I need to score to have a good shot at being admitted? I'll be supplementing this score with very strong undergraduate grades and a good internship.

Also...as I am from the US, "A-level mathematics" is a term I'm not too familiar with. Could somebody please clarify exactly what this means?

Thanks.

Anybody?
Thanks.
Reply 16
The majority of admitted students at top schools will have a 700+ score. I remember seeing the profile of past students somewhere. Also, A-level math refers to pre-university level math. This would roughly be equilavent to SAT level for you.
Aemilius
A-level math refers to pre-university level math. This would roughly be equilavent to SAT level

A-levels are equivalent to at least the APs.
An A on a A-level is like a 5 on an AP.
If you did AP Calculus A/B, you should be ok.

The SAT level is around the level of the GCSE and is very elementary.
Reply 18
Okay, I am fine with that requirement. I just wasn't sure since I hadn't heard that term before. Thanks guys. Very helpful stuff.

Latest