The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jody89
What's critical thinking ^... just wondering, sounds interesting.

It's a course that's mean to sharpen your analysis skills by evaluating arguments... you're supposed to be able to identify flawed arguments and write critical essays etc. I haven't done it yet, but from what I can see it looks very easy - it seems a different use of the same skills that one employs in History and English Literature, but with more terms for techniques. :smile:
Reply 21
hehe, 'terms for techniques' - i hate when exam boards assign complicated terminology to quite basic, common-sense ideas!
Reply 22
Vazzyb
hehe, 'terms for techniques' - i hate when exam boards assign complicated terminology to quite basic, common-sense ideas!

Me too - especially when they don't give you a mark, even thought you've stated the method, because you didn't use the 'correct' terminology. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Wow, Lidia, that is some impressive things you're taking! I hope you don't find the workload too hard. I didn't add to mine that I'd be taking Key Skills and General Studies, as they're compulsory, but I didn't think they counted.
Reply 24
I'm staying on at Sixth Form. Doing A-Levels in: English Literature, History, Biology, and Chemistry. All my immediate friends are staying too, so it should be good fun as well as hard work! Quite a few other friends, who aren't in my immediate 'group' are leaving though, so that's a bit gutting. Some of them are going to the local community college, some are going to other sixth forms, and one is going to Atlantic College, in Cardiff, the founder of the UWCs.
Reply 25
Im also staying on for 6th Form, but moving to a Grammer School, im in State at the moment. Im doing Chemistry, Biology, ICT & another subject which I cant decide on! All my mates are staying on at my Current school apart from 1, so ill probably have to make new freinds, which should be fine!
Reply 26
I'm staying on for Sixth Form at my school, and planning to do French, History, Spanish and Chemistry for AS Levels next year. Looking forward to it!
NickiM
Wow, Lidia, that is some impressive things you're taking! I hope you don't find the workload too hard. I didn't add to mine that I'd be taking Key Skills and General Studies, as they're compulsory, but I didn't think they counted.

Not all universities accept General Studies, especially the decent ones, but more are starting to include it in their offers now. It's the same with Key Skills- most universities say they'll take it into account, but it won't be a part of your offer. For those that do accept it, each Level 3 Key Skill is worth 20 UCAS points, so if you do all 3, you'll have 60 UCAS points, same as a D at full A-level or an A at AS.
I am staying at my 6th form to do my A-Levels in Art, History, English Literature and Drama, however I may change Art to Psychology because my Art teacher is leaving and I can't imagine how I'd survive A-Level without her support! I'm looking forward to 6th form because most of the idiots that you hate seeing in school will be leaving and we get new people (fingers crossed they don't aggrovate me!). I don't think it's the easy road at all, it may be the more comfy one, however nothing is easy after GCSE!
how is doing alevels an easy option in any way???
llanberismecca
how is doing alevels an easy option in any way???

I think what people are saying is that staying on at school, where you know everyone and are familiar with the place, is an easy option compared to moving to a new school or college where you'll have to meet new friends and settle in to a new environment.
Maths, English Language, French, History, Law :smile:

Michael
Reply 32
I'm hoping to take the following subjects at my current school's 6th form:

English (Language and Literature combined is the only option)
ICT (an ''apllied GCE''. I'm not entirly sure what that means, but I'm informed that it is a double award meaning you get 2 grades out of it)
Religious Studies
General Studies (It's not optional)
Critical Thinking

However, I hope to confirm this on Results Day, so nothing is fixed yet.
Reply 33
english lang
chemistry
maths
german
Reply 34
WantA*
Im also staying on for 6th Form, but moving to a Grammer School, im in State at the moment. Im doing Chemistry, Biology, ICT & another subject which I cant decide on! All my mates are staying on at my Current school apart from 1, so ill probably have to make new freinds, which should be fine!

me too. I am going to grammar school to study A levels, although i m in a state at the moment. surely we will have to make new friends.lol.i m also going to be a boarding student, so that is going to be fun and easier to make friends.
shauncouldstone
I'm hoping to take the following subjects at my current school's 6th form:

English (Language and Literature combined is the only option)
ICT (an ''apllied GCE''. I'm not entirly sure what that means, but I'm informed that it is a double award meaning you get 2 grades out of it)
Religious Studies
General Studies (It's not optional)
Critical Thinking

However, I hope to confirm this on Results Day, so nothing is fixed yet.

GCE applied basically means it's a vocational A-level, so more practical and less academic. Are you sure you want to do 6 ASs? It will be a lot of work. If critical thinking isn't compulsory, maybe you shouldn't take that as I think it's pretty similar to General Studies and also not considered a 'proper' subject. Just my 2 cents :p:
hey i am doin english literatue ict biology and government and politics and chemistry as a night course .......
why are u doin it as a night course
Is anyone else going from high school to sixth form college?
me y?

Latest