The Student Room Group
Reply 1
1-make a plan.
2-make a bullet point list of problems and ways to deal with it.
3-write the essay. :smile:
Reply 2
vicky600
Outline problems of housing in cities in LEDC's and examine the effectiveness of ways to deal with them...

How shall i go about this.?? Its a synoptic question?

well obviously u should mention shanty settlements such as those in Rio, or those in the City of the Dead in Cairo.

so overcrowding, lack of basic amenities, disease

the greater cairo waste water project aims to bring clean running water to all citizens living in the city of the dead
Also problems in realtion to natural hazards - housing usually not good enough to withstand flooding, tropical cyclones, earthquakes (classquakes) etc. :smile:
Reply 4
vicky600
Outline problems of housing in cities in LEDC's and examine the effectiveness of ways to deal with them...

How shall i go about this.?? Its a synoptic question?

i think I remember rio has a self-build scheme where you are provided with materials and build your own house. Outline the pros and cons and if it is effective in improving housing problems :smile:
Vulnerable to fires
effluent runs between homes (no drainage)
high crime rates
overcrowding
vulnerability to spread of disease
rubbish accumulates
general low standard of living

Schemes to improve housing: John Turner
slum clearance ( Townships in South Africa, Rio de janeiro
Aided self help (site and services, upgrading, co-operatives)
Superblocks (Caracas, venezuela Singapore)- Using techniques from te MEDW

Evaluation:
Slum clearance- merely temporary, did not solve the socio-economic conditions that placed the dwellers there in the first place
ASH- very successful, not only did it improve community but money saved was spent on providing the areas with services. However, the site and service scheme involved legalizing land in the rural-urban fringe, not the best idea for a population that relies on informal economic activity for income and so need to br close to the CBD. The new properties sometimes were also sold to even poorer people who could not afford the rents
Superblocks- NICs could invest in more extravagant schemes. However, the buildings were poorly constructed and the rents were often more expensive than local wages could afford

Thes are just some of the techniques that have been utilised specifically for shanty towns. It might also be wise to look at wider policies (e.g trans-migration policies and the trend of private investment)
Reply 6
thanks alot for your help everyone! thats great :smile: :smile: very greatful!

Latest

Trending

Trending