Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much to buy Visual Studio?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Im thinking of buying Visual Studio. what programming languages does this include i have heard it included C++ and .NET. Anything else?
    Will it be a good buy? and how much will i be set back in terms of price?

Cheers guys

Flukey
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its not cheap but if you go to the microsoft website you can get the beta version of it either thru the post or download for free
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/
    ive just ordered, lol dont know why I dont really know any programming langauge
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought a student copy of it in 2003. I got me AUD$210, and it includes vb.net, C#, and c++ a normal copy is probably well over a thousand in England (they are 2000 in Australia from what I remember)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    why do they charge that much, i read somewere i costs them no more than about £1 per cd to make. so they make £1999 profit.
    Can they really expect people to pay that much, it just encourages piracy!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiBB*89)
    why do they charge that much, i read somewere i costs them no more than about £1 per cd to make. so they make £1999 profit.
    Can they really expect people to pay that much, it just encourages piracy!
    What about the developers, they need paying!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is enforcing piracy but at the end of the day it may only cost 1 quid to make a cd, buts its all the programming and work involved to make the software, but i do think they could lower the costs loads for students.

Cheers guys fro your help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah but they amount there earning....
    the sale of a couple hundred copies @ £1000 will be enough to pay them off.
    they should LOWER the price..o well im not gonna buy it, yet anyway dont know any programming :eek:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of MS's software has an academic equilivent. You just need to find a supplier, who will sell it to you.

When I bought my vs.net academic I had to fill a form out with my address, phone, name, dob and my schools details. they never contacted me though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You would want to buy Visual Studio.NET 2003 if you want to save money. If you want to spend a bit more buy the 2005 version. It includes, VB, C++, C#, and J# (all languages are .NET).

You can get a stduent discount when you buy it though. If you don't have it, it could cost about 1000 quid or more.

I would suggest to buy the professional version if you are serious about it. However, I think academic will be fine for the time being. By the way, I have the professional version. I would never buy the architect version, as I'm not that good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ordered the beta version of Visual Studio 2005 for free from msdn.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    I ordered the beta version of Visual Studio 2005 for free from msdn.
    :eek: I think I should order that too!

Hope the details I gave you above are useful. By the way, where are you going to buy VS.NET?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    You would want to buy Visual Studio.NET 2003 if you want to save money. If you want to spend a bit more buy the 2005 version. It includes, VB, C++, C#, and J# (all languages are .NET).

You can get a stduent discount when you buy it though. If you don't have it, it could cost about 1000 quid or more.

I would suggest to buy the professional version if you are serious about it. However, I think academic will be fine for the time being. By the way, I have the professional version. I would never buy the architect version, as I'm not that good.
    My vs.net 2002 academic has everything the same as the professional version, at least last time i checked. vb, c++, C# and j# . I even got some extra student tools and a load of posters.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    :eek: I think I should order that too!

Hope the details I gave you above are useful. By the way, where are you going to buy VS.NET?
    Yeah thanks trev, that info was very useful, cheers for that

Jamie
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python05)
    My vs.net 2002 academic has everything the same as the professional version, at least last time i checked. vb, c++, C# and j# . I even got some extra student tools and a load of posters.
    Cool. What did the posters look like and about? :p:

I don't think there is much difference between academic and professional though, especially when they have the same programming languages. Obviously, there is a difference in architect edition.

Do any of you know do uni's use VS.NET (architect edition)?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are about data flow and the like, can't remember. As I lost them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher might have VS.NET though. You can ask him to borrow it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some university offer it for free... well, technically, the university isn't offering it. Microsoft is. I can download it for free along with whole load other MS products. Some universities sell them at a price of 20 pounds. I think Warwick sells it for 20 to its students. Universities do this kind of thing. Oxford, Edinburgh and others sell Maple for 10 or 20 pounds.

I'm more of a Borland person than Microsoft. Unfortunately, they don't do free give-aways... CBuilder cost a hell lot more than anything I can think of...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the full edition of visual studio (Enterprise architect edition) will cost around £2,000, but depending on what exactly you want out of it you should probably go for something cheaper. Maybe just C# C++ VB
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...hphrase=visual
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last time I visited PC world, they are selling these things at 86 pounds (or about) a piece.

Patch: personal edition.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    woot! Borland is selling C++BuilderX Personal for 10 dollars!
Updated: June 2, 2005
New on TSR

Rice cooker in your uni halls?

Would you bring a rice cooker to uni?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.