Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much to buy Visual Studio?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Im thinking of buying Visual Studio. what programming languages does this include i have heard it included C++ and .NET. Anything else?
    Will it be a good buy? and how much will i be set back in terms of price?

Cheers guys

Flukey
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its not cheap but if you go to the microsoft website you can get the beta version of it either thru the post or download for free
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/
    ive just ordered, lol dont know why I dont really know any programming langauge
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought a student copy of it in 2003. I got me AUD$210, and it includes vb.net, C#, and c++ a normal copy is probably well over a thousand in England (they are 2000 in Australia from what I remember)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    why do they charge that much, i read somewere i costs them no more than about £1 per cd to make. so they make £1999 profit.
    Can they really expect people to pay that much, it just encourages piracy!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiBB*89)
    why do they charge that much, i read somewere i costs them no more than about £1 per cd to make. so they make £1999 profit.
    Can they really expect people to pay that much, it just encourages piracy!
    What about the developers, they need paying!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is enforcing piracy but at the end of the day it may only cost 1 quid to make a cd, buts its all the programming and work involved to make the software, but i do think they could lower the costs loads for students.

Cheers guys fro your help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah but they amount there earning....
    the sale of a couple hundred copies @ £1000 will be enough to pay them off.
    they should LOWER the price..o well im not gonna buy it, yet anyway dont know any programming :eek:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost all of MS's software has an academic equilivent. You just need to find a supplier, who will sell it to you.

When I bought my vs.net academic I had to fill a form out with my address, phone, name, dob and my schools details. they never contacted me though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You would want to buy Visual Studio.NET 2003 if you want to save money. If you want to spend a bit more buy the 2005 version. It includes, VB, C++, C#, and J# (all languages are .NET).

You can get a stduent discount when you buy it though. If you don't have it, it could cost about 1000 quid or more.

I would suggest to buy the professional version if you are serious about it. However, I think academic will be fine for the time being. By the way, I have the professional version. I would never buy the architect version, as I'm not that good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ordered the beta version of Visual Studio 2005 for free from msdn.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    I ordered the beta version of Visual Studio 2005 for free from msdn.
    :eek: I think I should order that too!

Hope the details I gave you above are useful. By the way, where are you going to buy VS.NET?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    You would want to buy Visual Studio.NET 2003 if you want to save money. If you want to spend a bit more buy the 2005 version. It includes, VB, C++, C#, and J# (all languages are .NET).

You can get a stduent discount when you buy it though. If you don't have it, it could cost about 1000 quid or more.

I would suggest to buy the professional version if you are serious about it. However, I think academic will be fine for the time being. By the way, I have the professional version. I would never buy the architect version, as I'm not that good.
    My vs.net 2002 academic has everything the same as the professional version, at least last time i checked. vb, c++, C# and j# . I even got some extra student tools and a load of posters.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    :eek: I think I should order that too!

Hope the details I gave you above are useful. By the way, where are you going to buy VS.NET?
    Yeah thanks trev, that info was very useful, cheers for that

Jamie
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python05)
    My vs.net 2002 academic has everything the same as the professional version, at least last time i checked. vb, c++, C# and j# . I even got some extra student tools and a load of posters.
    Cool. What did the posters look like and about? :p:

I don't think there is much difference between academic and professional though, especially when they have the same programming languages. Obviously, there is a difference in architect edition.

Do any of you know do uni's use VS.NET (architect edition)?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are about data flow and the like, can't remember. As I lost them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher might have VS.NET though. You can ask him to borrow it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some university offer it for free... well, technically, the university isn't offering it. Microsoft is. I can download it for free along with whole load other MS products. Some universities sell them at a price of 20 pounds. I think Warwick sells it for 20 to its students. Universities do this kind of thing. Oxford, Edinburgh and others sell Maple for 10 or 20 pounds.

I'm more of a Borland person than Microsoft. Unfortunately, they don't do free give-aways... CBuilder cost a hell lot more than anything I can think of...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the full edition of visual studio (Enterprise architect edition) will cost around £2,000, but depending on what exactly you want out of it you should probably go for something cheaper. Maybe just C# C++ VB
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...hphrase=visual
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last time I visited PC world, they are selling these things at 86 pounds (or about) a piece.

Patch: personal edition.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    woot! Borland is selling C++BuilderX Personal for 10 dollars!
Updated: June 2, 2005
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.