Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much to buy Visual Studio?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a free copy of the full Versio Studio 2003 and its 100% legal.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I've got a free copy of the full Versio Studio 2003 and its 100% legal.
    Is that from the MSNDAA membership or did the department give it to you?

(Original post by Camford)
    It's good. I might get VS at some point next year. I have Visio downloaded when I was doing my physics practical write up. Can't say it's much of a use to me at the moment. It's a nice thing to use when you need to draw DFDs or UML diagrams.
    If you download VS 2005 next year, can you tell the difference. I'm curious, what other software did you download? :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Since we can still keep the username and password forever for MSDNAA, people can give the username and password to other people, and they can download them a free copy and so on.
    No no no no, you can't keep the username and pass forever

You can keep the software you've already downloaded forever. And there's nothing to stop you leeching just before you leave. It is an arse that whidbey(sp?) isn't going to be out in time for me to get it.

I got MS Project, Visio, VS 2k3, MSDN Library and another copy of XP pro the other day. I might go back and grab server 2k3 and a copy of sql server at some point too, incase I get two more x86 boxes (or one x86, one sparc). Dunno whether I'll be getting a flat big enough for all these computers next year anyway lol.

A.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    No no no no, you can't keep the username and pass forever

You can keep the software you've already downloaded forever. And there's nothing to stop you leeching just before you leave. It is an arse that whidbey(sp?) isn't going to be out in time for me to get it.

I got MS Project, Visio, VS 2k3, MSDN Library and another copy of XP pro the other day. I might go back and grab server 2k3 and a copy of sql server at some point too, incase I get two more x86 boxes (or one x86, one sparc). Dunno whether I'll be getting a flat big enough for all these computers next year anyway lol.

A.
    Awww, I thought we can keep the username and password forever. How come we are not allowed to? If I have that membership at uni, I would download everything before my 3 year degree course ends. :p: I might consider downloading the microsoft software you mentioned above if my uni have the MSDNAA membership.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Is that from the MSNDAA membership or did the department give it to you?

If you download VS 2005 next year, can you tell the difference. I'm curious, what other software did you download? :p:
    The university has a licence so they can give all their students a free copy of it. The idea is that Microsoft hope students will use this software when they get jobs hence furthering their monopoly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Visual Studio 2003 standard edition was £40 on eBay last time i checked...
    brand new and boxed etc...

OH, AND...
    can anyone reccommend a good book to learn VB?
    i'm used to programming in Delphi...
    you see my (slight) problem...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    Visual Studio 2003 standard edition was £40 on eBay last time i checked...
    brand new and boxed etc...

OH, AND...
    can anyone reccommend a good book to learn VB?
    i'm used to programming in Delphi...
    you see my (slight) problem...
    Woah, I can't believe it's that cheap on e-bay!

The book called Computing Projects in VB.NET is good, written by D. Christopher. http://www.payne-gallway.co.uk/vbn.html
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look for one by John Smilie, its very good. But I can't remember the name of itlol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    What software do I download? I don't know. I don't download softwares anymore. I have a whole rug sack full of CDs with useful things on them... I don't think I need any more :rolleyes:. Although, a copy of Kylix Ent would be nice .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that people...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just use a free IDE:

C++ - Dev C++ (Bloodshed)
    Java - Eclipse
    VB.net - Don't bother
    VB - Definately don't bother, please
    C# - SharpDevelop

There are other moderately popular languages that require an IDE, but I believe those are the language you're probably most interested in.

For HTML just get an editor which colour codes your syntax to makes things easier, or you want to be hardcore use Notepad or even more hardcore, Vi.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TomX, you forgot Edit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    For HTML just get an editor which colour codes your syntax to makes things easier, or you want to be hardcore use Notepad or even more hardcore, Vi.
    vi, hardcore? maybe, but vim is soooo loooovellllyyyy.....

C: vim + make + gcc
    C++: vim + make + g++

That's how to program
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python05)
    What about the developers, they need paying!
    two words: Linus Torvalds.
Updated: June 2, 2005
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.