The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Anyone leaving/keeping Girlfriends/ Boyfriends when they come to Bristol?

Just out of curiosity, after a heated debate with my friend today, about whether long distance relationships can stand the challenge of parting ways and going to different uni's...I personally siad I felt that it would be pretty hard to stay together, (but fair play to the couples that do and are willing to try)...but my mates in a conflict as to whether to end it with his lady now and save the heartache...this must be the same story for a few of you guys and gals out there...just curious as to everyones opinions...

p.s...can't wait till October! Bristol Baby!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to Bristol in October and leaving my girlfriend back in the North West (nr Liverpool). Its going to be difficult but not impossible I think. I am not of the mentailty where I want to go out and pull people every night so that part of the social life at university I don't think I would miss out on much. I don't see why relationships should interfere with your life at university, i'm gonna have just as good a time without making out with other people etc. To make it easier shes going to come and visit me from time to time and i'll go back home sometimes, just to reduce the time that we're apart.

We can't guarantee that we'll make it through, but were both gonna try as hard as we can to do it cause its what we both want. I couldn't find someone as great as her if I looked forever, and for me thats something worth fighting for :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Rob24601
I'm going to Bristol in October and leaving my girlfriend back in the North West (nr Liverpool). Its going to be difficult but not impossible I think. I am not of the mentailty where I want to go out and pull people every night so that part of the social life at university I don't think I would miss out on much. I don't see why relationships should interfere with your life at university, i'm gonna have just as good a time without making out with other people etc. To make it easier shes going to come and visit me from time to time and i'll go back home sometimes, just to reduce the time that we're apart.

We can't guarantee that we'll make it through, but were both gonna try as hard as we can to do it cause its what we both want. I couldn't find someone as great as her if I looked forever, and for me thats something worth fighting for :smile:

ahhh that's beautiful...it sounds like she's very lucky to have you too...fair play to you...it sounds like you've got a solid foundation I hope it works out for you. :love:
Reply 3
I've got a boyf - but haven't got a clue what to do in October! argghhhh.
I'm so happy in the relationship, but I don't think I would be very good at a Long distance relationship!
Reply 4
Sian01
I've got a boyf - but haven't got a clue what to do in October! argghhhh.
I'm so happy in the relationship, but I don't think I would be very good at a Long distance relationship!

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder :smile:
Reply 5
Rob24601
They say absence makes the heart grow fonder :smile:

No, absinthe makes the heart grow fonder :biggrin:
Reply 6
El Pollo Diablo
No, absinthe makes the heart grow fonder :biggrin:

lol :P good call!
Long distance relationships usually don't work, plus think of all the new ppl you can meet at uni. Also, what do you hope to get out of your high school relationship? Marriage?
I've just got with someone now, which is prob pretty stupid, so I'm just gonna have to see what happens I guess! x
Reply 9
yea im the same - just started seeing someone. Been trying not to get involved really!! but i HATE it when people have 'arrangements' to break up for university...yeah a long distance relationship probably wont work but why kill it before its actually dead. My plan is just to be honest - say it'll be hard etc but wait and see what happens!!!
Reply 10
spali
yea im the same - just started seeing someone. Been trying not to get involved really!! but i HATE it when people have 'arrangements' to break up for university...yeah a long distance relationship probably wont work but why kill it before its actually dead. My plan is just to be honest - say it'll be hard etc but wait and see what happens!!!

Exactly my thoughts dude!
Reply 11
Ock! It's a terror isn't it?! I was with my bloke for two years we broke up about three weeks ago now, I think it all started going a bit pear shaped because I was going to uni to be honest and I think he thought making "arrangements" to keep him occupied whilst I was gone was the best idea....hmmm idiot. But I'm glad to say that the thought that's driving me forward is the possibility of being able to meet someone that I would probably never have had the chance to meet without going to uni and meeting a load of new people...bringing him home and shoving it in his face! Ahhhh revenge is bliss... :cool:
My ex and I stayed together when he went to uni and lasted another year. I would definitely recommend it if you don't fancy splitting just for the sake of it. We got so much out of the relationship for a lot longer than we otherwise would have done.
Reply 13
cynthia86
ahhh that's beautiful...it sounds like she's very lucky to have you too...fair play to you...it sounds like you've got a solid foundation I hope it works out for you. :love:

yes i am an extremely lucky girl. :love:
me n my bf been together 3 yrs n i dont wana leave him :frown: not sure what were gona do, we dont know! i think long distance would be really hard but then again hes worth it, then again my course is 5 yrs long.....would it really work for 5 yrs, and then what? we may not wana move back here, so i think we will both change, but arghhh its gona kill me in september!! :frown:
My boyfriend and i have been together for 14 months now and i love him to bits, he's off to uni too and then to sandhurst after! i'm in for med too! we've decided to stay together, if it works thats whats meant to be and if it doesnt we'll still best friends.
:p: :smile:
yea atleast its breaking up in the best way possible if thats what happens, rather than ending up hating each other or something!
wednesburywench
yea atleast its breaking up in the best way possible if thats what happens, rather than ending up hating each other or something!

I hope it doesnt happen, but you'll never know what might of been unless you try. i'd hate to end it and end up a crazy old lady all on my own, when i could be with him!
Reply 18
susiemakemeblue
My ex and I stayed together when he went to uni and lasted another year. I would definitely recommend it if you don't fancy splitting just for the sake of it. We got so much out of the relationship for a lot longer than we otherwise would have done.

exactly. no point breaking up just cos such a relationship "would be hard". give it a go and see what happens. i plan to :smile: if it starts to become a problem, we can sort it out from there, but im not gonna make a potential problem into a current one
Reply 19
Long distance relationships can work, sometimes... for example... one of my friend's was with her boyfriend for about six months before he moved to Australia. They split up and stayed friends, but gradually realised that they really do want to be together - so instead of going to university over there, he's moving back here (his dad still lives here) and they'll be at uni about thirty minutes away from each other. She's spending the summer in Australia with him, then they're flying back together.

So the moral of this little story is... whether you split up or not, if it's meant to be, it'll work out anyway. :smile:

(not that this affects me in anyway as I'm single, I just thought it might cheer some coupled-up people up a bit :biggrin: )

Latest

Trending

Trending