The Student Room Group

Subject choices for an Acees to Higher Education Course.

You guys have been a tremendous help in the past and I hope you can again help me with this query I have.
I have now secured a place to study for an Access to Higher Education level 3 course with a view to start a Nursing degree next year. I have chosen 2 subjects which I wish to study, these being Biology and Psychology. So I am certainly going to study these as I believe they are relevant to Nursing and would help me in the future. I have to make one more choice in regards to the other subject I will study. The choices are as follows:

1.History (I have an interest in History and would probably enjoy it, but it's not really necessary for Nursing)
2.Law (No interest in Law whatsoever for me, can't really see how it would help me in Nursing)
3.Literature (Love reading, so again I have an interest in studying Literature, however again don't see the relevance in connection with Nursing)
4.Chemistry (Could be useful for Nursing, and probably is the best choice to make but I hate it!)
5.Sociology (Could be useful, my 1st choice at the moment)

In your opinion, what would be the best subject to chose from the above 5 to study alongside Biology and Psychology? I think Chemistry would be the most relevance, but as I have stated before I doubt whether I would enjoy or succeed in that particular subject. Can't decide between Sociology,Literature or History. I understand some Universities would find certain subjects more favourable, however I don't really want to study something I know I won't enjoy.
Any help would be appreciated.......
Literature - is probably the best choice as it gives access to so many other areas. You would learn stuff that helps with assignments during the degree course as well such as essay planning, critical reviews, organising and researching information.

Chemistry - no real relevance at all.

Socialogy - on a scale of 1-10 for boring, Sociology comes out at 17.5. In any case you will get enough of that during your course so no need to inflict more on yourself.

History - As with Literature, you would be studying things that would give you skills needed on your course but the subject matter is practically irrelevant.

Law - I can't think of anything more boring apart from Sociology.

But... in the end it's not all about nursing. You have a year before you go to university and you may decide to be a rocket scientist instead. So I would chose the subject that you have the most interest in and that you want to study rather than choosing everything because it's relevant to nursing.
Reply 2
Yeah, good point about Literature giving access to so many other areas. I think you have persuaded me.......unless someone else can tell me different.
Reply 3
Sociology is without a doubt the best choice for nursing and being a social science subject it is highly favoured for health related things but I agree that it can be extremely boring. I'm halfway through my access and really struggle with sociology but that might be because I don't find my lecturer helpful. Psychology makes up for it hundreds of times over though.

I guess doing one of the subjects you enjoy would be a good idea but to be honest, the course flys by and it really isn't THAT bad. If you are not quite sure about nursing or might change your mind then maybe choose Literature but I can't imagine it being useful in a nursing application

x
Reply 4
Hi thanks for the replies, I definitely want to do Nursing. I can't decide between Literature, Sociology and History......
Reply 5
I'd sat literature. Though it has no real relevance to nursing as such it could help with the research, critical thinking, writing kind of aspects.

You have Biology which is the more important science within nursing so taking Chemistry may be a bit hmm.
Reply 6
Becky_90
I'd sat literature. Though it has no real relevance to nursing as such it could help with the research, critical thinking, writing kind of aspects.

You have Biology which is the more important science within nursing so taking Chemistry may be a bit hmm.

Chemistry and Law are definitely a no no at the moment unless someone make a strong case otherwise!
hussain_s
You guys have been a tremendous help in the past and I hope you can again help me with this query I have.
I have now secured a place to study for an Access to Higher Education level 3 course with a view to start a Nursing degree next year. I have chosen 2 subjects which I wish to study, these being Biology and Psychology. So I am certainly going to study these as I believe they are relevant to Nursing and would help me in the future. I have to make one more choice in regards to the other subject I will study. The choices are as follows:

1.History (I have an interest in History and would probably enjoy it, but it's not really necessary for Nursing)
2.Law (No interest in Law whatsoever for me, can't really see how it would help me in Nursing)
3.Literature (Love reading, so again I have an interest in studying Literature, however again don't see the relevance in connection with Nursing)
4.Chemistry (Could be useful for Nursing, and probably is the best choice to make but I hate it!)
5.Sociology (Could be useful, my 1st choice at the moment)

In your opinion, what would be the best subject to chose from the above 5 to study alongside Biology and Psychology? I think Chemistry would be the most relevance, but as I have stated before I doubt whether I would enjoy or succeed in that particular subject. Can't decide between Sociology,Literature or History. I understand some Universities would find certain subjects more favourable, however I don't really want to study something I know I won't enjoy.
Any help would be appreciated.......

Hi hussain_s
I am glad other student room forum members have been giving you some advice subjectwise
my advice is this
Sociology is a useful and interesting subject to learn on a Access to He Course and come in useful for Nursing as its a social science subject.I would also recommend doing some sort of science subject as well on your Access Course something like Biology.Most universities in my experience like to see applicants with a varied range of subjects for their degree or diploma courses in Pre-registration nursing.I have also studied Chemistry at Access Level 3 and my opinion of studying such a very intense Science Subject in one year is this if you like learning about formula,chemical equations then also do this one alongside any others you looking at however if u do want to do it because u feel it would be of no usefulness then dont and pick a more interesting subject instead
hope you find my advice useful.If i can be of any further help u know where i am:
yep:

Latest