The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
My 90 year old grandmother got asked for ID in Wetherspoons, like she carries ID, the person serving was being a bit OTT about it in my opinion.
SophieM
My 90 year old grandmother got asked for ID in Wetherspoons, like she carries ID, the person serving was being a bit OTT about it in my opinion.

Yeah so did my great granddad and he was a WW1 veteran. He just scoffed and flashed them his victoria cross. Oh these young oiks....
Reply 82
We can all accept that IDing will be an inevitable occurence in our lives. Fine. I work at a supermarket and are therefore cautious as to how I ID (Only ID'd a group once. My supermarket attracts the older, white hair generation. Easier job for myself) What i now find annoying is that you have to look 7 years over the legal age of drinking. This seems silly especially as this means I'll probably be ID'd for the rest of my living life as short guys immediately get ID'd. Fair enough when I am 18 but for 25 year old to be ID'd for something he could purchase 7 years ago would frustrate me. I know its being extra cautious but OTT. How many 17 year olds look 26? NONE! I'm glad my store doesnt use this Orwellian policy. Saying that, even we did, I doubt Id see an increase in IDing people. Wooo Waitrose!
Reply 83
punktopia
I've been IDed by people who must be around 8 years younger than me. That's just retarded.

What difference does the age of the person serving make to the law? If they are unsure of your age, they have to ask for ID, else face a fine or losing their job.

booger
I was in tesco the other day. My friend and I were paying for a few bits. Among them I had some beers. He had nothing alcoholic. The check-out bod realised we were together and started demanding his ID. It actually irritated me quite a bit. 1 because he wasn't buying any alcohol 2 if he was under 18/had no ID on him I wouldn't have gotten such a brilliant deal 3 (this is the one that most irritates me) He was only doing it because of his age. I've been in there with my dad who bought alcohol and he has never been reserved. So if you're 18 everyone who you're with will have their ID checked (odd) if you're 40 you get special privileges.
:mad:
/rant

As several people have already stated, the cashier does not know that you are not going to give the alcohol to somebody who could be a minor. If you are with someone else, regardless of whether they are buying alcohol or not, they have to ID the other person/people too, just in case. If they are caught, again they can lose their job, be fined, or even lose the premises' licence to sell alcohol (which is why their management will be telling them regularly to ID in all these cases).
The difference with a 40 year old is, with parent's permission, a minor may drink alcohol in their own home. It is generally assumed if a younger person is out shopping with someone much older, they are probably related. However, this does come down to cashier's discretion, and the cashier can choose not to serve them, on the basis they suspect the alcohol could be supplied to a minor for consumption in a public area.

Reue
Who are Asda, or any supermarket to try and make that decision? It's the parents who are breaking the law if they give their children alcohol in a public place.

It is also the shop breaking the law for serving the alcohol to be supplied to a minor.

I think its absoloutly moronic for shops to try and govern who they sell products to based on what 'might' happen.

Sure, it might happen, it might not. But if it does, and they are caught, it is a large fine, possible loss of job, and possible loss of the premises' licence to sell alcohol. The possibility may be slim, but the consequences are huge. That's why they don't take the risk. I'd hardly call it moronic.
Reply 84
dlg3579
We can all accept that IDing will be an inevitable occurence in our lives. Fine. I work at a supermarket and are therefore cautious as to how I ID (Only ID'd a group once. My supermarket attracts the older, white hair generation. Easier job for myself) What i now find annoying is that you have to look 7 years over the legal age of drinking. This seems silly especially as this means I'll probably be ID'd for the rest of my living life as short guys immediately get ID'd. Fair enough when I am 18 but for 25 year old to be ID'd for something he could purchase 7 years ago would frustrate me. I know its being extra cautious but OTT. How many 17 year olds look 26? NONE! I'm glad my store doesnt use this Orwellian policy. Saying that, even we did, I doubt Id see an increase in IDing people. Wooo Waitrose!

But how many 17 year olds look 21+? There are a few, which is why it was raised to an age where it is less likely to misjudge.
Reply 85
tis always at spoons
Reply 86
My friend got ID'd in a pub for a diet coke the other day, was extremely funny.
Reply 87
hobo06
It is also the shop breaking the law for serving the alcohol to be supplied to a minor.

But its perfectly legal to purchase alcohol on behalf of your child.
Reply 88
Reue
But its perfectly legal to purchase alcohol on behalf of your child.

Yet again mate, its a privately owned store that is free to make policies as it sees fit.

For example, TSR bans linking to the BNP website (or it did) where as you can do this on other forums. Its all about precautions. If the alcohol is bought and supplied to a child and he ends up drinking it round the corner and passing out, we'll get the blame.
muzzo
My friend got ID'd in a pub for a diet coke the other day, was extremely funny.

I got IDed in a pub for coke once, the reason I bought the coke was 'cos I didn't have my ID on me! They said it was 'cos you're not allowed in certain parts of the pub under the age of 18, regardless of what you've bought!
Reply 90
we got told we were going to get IDed at the rugby club, so we just taped our IDs to our forheads, its an effective ott response
Reply 91
that hasn't happened to me, i'm only 17 anyways. but i did get id'd in a shop for an energy drink as for some reason you need to be over 16?
Reply 92
A quick question related to this: I'll be moving to the UK in September hopefully, my nationality is Hungarian and I've got a Hungarian ID and passport - am I issued a UK ID when I start living there or do I have to use my Hungarian one? That's what happened in Spain and it was retarded, it was a miracle any place accepted my ID seeing as it was so strange and foreign to them, they'd stare at it for a good 3 minutes but in the end they always let me through. Still, it's a huge hassle, I don't know why the government stopped giving out Spanish IDs to the foreigners who live there.
So yeah, do I get a UK ID when I go to live there? Thanks!
Reply 93
ash-corbett-collins
I was ID'd to buy crackers last Christmas in Morrisons.

Me and my girlfriend just stood there stunned for a couple of minutes, thinking it was a wind up.

The Christmas party wasn't as fun :frown:

Ahaa I had to ID people for crackers when I worked at Boots last Christmas...everyone had the exact same reaction! I had to tell this 10 year old that his mum (who was waiting at the door for him) had to come and buy them...I felt like a proper tool, who's ever done anything illegal with crackers??

In terms of alcohol, I can buy alcohol in Tesco when my 15 year old brother is with me (and he looks about 16/17) but when I go with friends who are 18 like me, we all get asked for ID...they have strange ideas sometimes!
we got told we were going to get IDed at the rugby club, so we just taped our IDs to our forheads, its an effective ott response

Oh I wish I could have seen this :rofl:
tinkk-x
that hasn't happened to me, i'm only 17 anyways. but i did get id'd in a shop for an energy drink as for some reason you need to be over 16?

I didn't know that :eek:
Reply 96
hobo06
What difference does the age of the person serving make to the law? If they are unsure of your age, they have to ask for ID, else face a fine or losing their job.

Because I'm clearly not under 18, whereas they practically are. Again, retarded.
Reply 97
smellslikemarmite
1. As an employee, I'm hardly going to change company policy or the law with a click of my fingers.
2. That policy makes sense, it's there to protect the employees as well as the company.
3. I'd rather have a job than have a criminal record for selling alcohol to minors.
4. Your trolling is getting incredibly old. If you're not going to actively change the way things work in this country, kindly take your whinging elsewhere.

It's hardly trolling. Really, you sound like the worst kind of jobsworth... you probably think your job is much more important than it is, right?
Reply 98
kaytee.
So I went to a pub/restaurant with my friends today and we're all 18. We understood that they check for ID when buying alcohol although none of us were intending on doing so and all of us except one had no ID on us.
We ordered a meal and went to the bar to buy cokes and they asked for ID because apparently now you have to be 18 to buy a non alcoholic drink? Anyway, we got served because one of the waiters knew us...

I know there are different licences etc in pubs but i've never came across one that requires ID to buy non alcholic drinks :s-smilie:
Has anyone else experienced this?

This has happended to me before. Me and afew friends went for bike ride along a river at the far end is a pub we had lunch there and I being 17 managed to buy 2 pints no problem. On the way back we stopped at another pub very similar and we werent even allowed a coke or a J2O as we were all 17. We were like why not and they said it was the rules. They eventually gave us some tap water so we kept there glasses. But it is so unfair.
Well my friend who's 18 got asked for ID when buying a Mcdonalds the other day!!!! WEIRD we think they smuggle drugs in the big mac :rolleyes: , nah it was probably coz we had a voucher and it was only for over 16s but still MCDONALDS!!! :biggrin:

Latest