The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rubbish - i'm sure they do like you tyo have a little bit of a life
i would hope so but every one i know who got in talks about staight A* records and 5 A grade Alevels and it isnt very encouraging!!
llanberismecca
i am hoping to apply to Cambridge for medicine in 2007 and i was wondering whether the myth that you need 11A*s at GCSEs is true?? :confused:

if any one has anyinfo on this please reply back :smile:

There's a sticky for stuff like this :smile:

I got 5A*, 3A, and....a B! Dun dun dun...:eek:

And I got an offer :biggrin:

It will be a bit more competitive for medicine, but your A-levels and other tests will be more important.

So please don't worry.

Thank you and goodnight :wink:

ZarathustraX
Reply 4
And I outdid Zarathusthra with 4 A*s 4 As and a B...dun dun dun.

You'd be surprised - I don't think there'll be that much of a difference; philosophy is really quite competitive at Cambridge...at least statistically.

As long as GCSEs are fairly decent, I don't think they matter quite so much as interview, test/BMAT, personal statement, reference etc etc. After all, that's much more recent in terms of information...
Reply 5
llanberismecca
i am hoping to apply to Cambridge for medicine in 2007 and i was wondering whether the myth that you need 11A*s at GCSEs is true?? :confused:

For ****s Sake......2007......11a*s

no offence but obviosuly it is a myth..h.ow many people get 11a*s?...think a bout it

secondly...2007...concentrate on getting ur GCSES first..and then ur AS levels before u even think about university.
Yes, it is completely true, you also need full UMS scores on 6xA levels, and you need to be personal friends with the managing directors of AQA Edexcel and OCR...
I hope Cambridge would not be as dense as to only pick people with shiny stars next to their names...
Reply 7
Argh :argh: Too many stupid people :argh:
Camford
Argh :argh: Too many stupid people :argh:

There there *pats* :smile:
Reply 9
Zarathustra
There's a sticky for stuff like this :smile:

I got 5A*, 3A, and....a B! Dun dun dun...:eek:

And I got an offer :biggrin:

It will be a bit more competitive for medicine, but your A-levels and other tests will be more important.

So please don't worry.

Thank you and goodnight :wink:

ZarathustraX

i got exactly those grades, and got an offer for medicine.:smile:
Reply 10
visesh
i got exactly those grades, and got an offer for medicine.:smile:

Only 'cause you offered to teach the college chef how to properly cook Indian food :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 11
At the open days in September our Admissions Tutor revealed that the average Sidney student has 6 A*s. There are indeed people here with 12 A*s and such like, but some people here also got half Cs. 11 A*s are certainly not a requirement.

For the record, I got 6 A*, 4 A, 1 B. Not everyone at my school sat 11 GCSEs though (I did 3 separate sciences rather than the double award) and we were certainly the only school in the area to offer 11. I think the others did 9 or 10 at the maximum, and our school was criticised for expecting more.

It's cool that you're so enthusiastic that you're thinking about Cambridge already. But don't let it worry you - see how things go and make sure you come on some open days in lower sixth to make sure Cambridge really is all you hope it will be. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 12
~Raphael~
Only 'cause you offered to teach the college chef how to properly cook Indian food :rolleyes: :p:

shhhhhsh:eek:
The way i see it, for vet med (same as med entrywise and what i'm doing) there are 3 important things:
1. Your interview, this is the most important part but to get it you have to meet the standard in
2. Your A-Levels and
3. the BMAT.

GCSEs aren't that important and as long as you do reasonabty well then you'll be fine.
I don't think they specify a minimum amount of A*s you need to have, and if they do, it certainly isn't 11! A lot of people only take 9 or 10 GCSEs, so that wouldn't be fair on those who didn't have the opportunity to take 11. It's true that GCSEs are more important for medicine than most other courses because it's so competitive, but as long as you get a few A*s (in the right subjects) and the rest As, you should be fine. The odd B or C wouldn't ruin your chances either, as long as the rest of your application is strong.
Reply 15
Sorry to interrupt all this. I've been asking around in the Law forum but I think you may be of a little more help. I have taken 10 IGCSEs and am planning to do another 3. Is it really worth it or am I just wasting my time? Do Oxbridge look at people with higher than Average number of IGCSEs any differently?
Reply 16
llanberismecca

if i find anybody speaking like this again, they will be beaten like a red-headed stepchild.
Death (can't be bothered with quote)
Do you mean take another 3 in your AS year? I think it's a waste of time as long as you do well in the original 10. There's really no point. I did 12 GCSEs and taught myself one. If I hadn't spent all the time teaching myself one I might have done better. Not that it mattered anyway, but it could have. Some schools only offer 9 or 10, so they can't discriminate against people who have that many. It's probably better to concentrate on the exams you're already doing.
Reply 18
Oh god, it's time for those 'I've got 25 A*s at GCSE... I don't start a chance do I?' questions again.
Reply 19
Ellie4
Oh god, it's time for those 'I've got 25 A*s at GCSE... I don't start a chance do I?' questions again.

ahh yes, the annual round of ego-massaging, gloating and relentless panicking. Here it comes, like a faithful friend (who is also incidentally an annoying bastard).

Latest

Trending

Trending