The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm no expert, but the way things are going (i.e. getting ridiculously competitive) I'd say outstanding GCSEs may well swing it in some circumstances. Apparently Oxbridge takes them seriously as a discriminator - particularly in boys, who are supposed to be less mature at 16 and therefore less likely to work hard for them!
Reply 2
Much has been said about this in concurrent posts, in short:

The better your gsces, the better your chance at any uni for any course.

It isn't rocket science.

For a competitive course I would say you need A* in directly applicable subjects, A in associated subjects and b in the others.

Unless you take a gap year a levels are not known at application date, indeed as levels cannot be relied upon because they can be retaken for many reasons.
Reply 3
With most of best unis having multiple applicants with AAAA at A level vying for one place, top GCSE's is extremely important.

I'd estimate, with great generalistation, that atleast 4/5 A*, with no more than 2 B's is needed.
Reply 4
Completely depends on the course. Of course OXbridge applicants will all have AAA/AAAA, so they will go on interview, gcse grades, ums marks etc. Also - the more competetive the course, the more good gcse's will count for.
Reply 5
Does having more than the average number of GCSEs also impress Oxbridge? Say I was to end up with 13, but not all A* (most will probably be just As), would that by any chance greatly increase my chances of being accepted or is it just a waste of time and energy? I've asked this before and they said it was a waste of time but I was hoping for another opinion :P
Reply 6
Would you say that there's less emphasis on outstanding AS grades then, given that they're so often subject to retakes?
Reply 7
yes and no is the answer. i applied Oxford and though rejected (asked to try again) they did say that GCSE's were VERY important and some universities consider them in a way MORE important as they say that GCSE's are a better indicator of abilities!
My GCSE's were ***** (as said thousands of times) and got through to some very good law schools (when i was going for llb law)......if u have good reasons why u dont do as well as you should then may it CLEAR on ur application with ur tutor backing it up!
Mandeep
Basically you want to get at leasr 60% A*s and As if possible. I got a C, in a subject wholly unrelated to the ones/ones I want to take at uni (it was Maths) - I can't see that that puts someone at any major disadvantage, as long as their grades are strong in the more relevant subjects. I know people on TSR with one or two Cs but otherwise strong GCSEs who've got into top universities including Oxbridge.

People who are yet to do their GCSEs should remember that as others have said, with ever increasing competitiveness and more and more students gaining AAAB/AAAA and above at AS level, GCSEs *are* taken into account, esp. for competitive courses such as Law. That said, if yours are decent, give it a shot - it's not the only factor! :smile: If you feel your GCSEs may let you down, p'raps it would make sense to apply to 3 or 4 top universities and 2 or 3 ones that are easier to get into to cover your back.
Reply 9
I got into Newcastle with A*, 2B, 6C, D in maths which i retook and got a B, but I did have outstanding A levels, so you can never be sure about GCSEs, just get really high predicted grades at a-level
Reply 10
GCSEs are important in order to get to A-levels. A-levels are important in order to get to uni. A degree is a passport to the worlds.

So in other words yes.
Rob24601
Just how important are GCSEs to an LLB application at a top UK university (eg. Manchester, Bristol, Notts etc.) Do you need all As and A*s to stand a chance, or are good A Levels and LNAT scores just as good an indicator for them?

I applied to The University of Manchester and got rejected, so I called up and asked why and they said that although my predicted grades met the prerequisites, my GCSEs let me down. I tried to explain that I moved schools between years ten and eleven, started new courses, dropped others and had to redo coursework to fit in with my new examination boards but it made now difference. I was shocked that they actually looked at your GCSEs, but Manchester do, grrrrrrrrr! lol :smile:
Reply 12
I was shocked that they actually looked at your GCSEs

It's unfortunate, but it is the only way to wittle down the huge number of applicants. What happened to the days when there was almost a lack of applicants...
Reply 13
I'm predicted all A's and A*'s for GCSE and intend on getting all A's at A Level, but how important are the other factors such as the interview etc.?
I really want to get into Oxbridge or at least the top 5 universities for Law, and incase my GCSE's let me down (as in I get a B or two and not 5 + A*'s) will it be accepted that I missed a lot of the beginning of the GCSE course (the whole of the Michelmas term) due to relocating to France and then back again?
Also, what would be best to drop for AS for another subject? I'm studying English Literature, French, Art and Design and Law and would like to change, but I am unsure of what other academic subject to do? (I can't stand Maths or Sciences, or history, or Geography)
I think I'm stuck.
Reply 14
Khalsa1846
if u have good reasons why u dont do as well as you should then may it CLEAR on ur application with ur tutor backing it up!

What would be considered good reasons?
Reply 15
things like MAJOR illnesses......a girl last yr had her kidney removed for example.
MAJOR family turbulence (Divorces, deaths of immaediate family members).
Parents being away which meant that you had to take a MAJOR role in the family which meant a lot of sacrifices in your studying.
Changing schools/syllabuses in yr 11 or in your A2's or even A/S's (coz they give ur prediceted grades - to sum extent).
I'm sure there a loads more!
Mandeep
Reply 16
GCSEs are very important if you're applying for Law at the top 30ish institutions. My GCSEs are 2 A*, 3 A's, 4 B's and 1 C and I got rejected from Cambridge, Durham, KCL and Manchester. My AS grades were AAAB. I got some very high UMSs for my AS and assumed, foolishly, tha I'd be OK and get some offers. I never expected Cambridge, and probably not Durham, either. But, GCSEs are very important as they become the discriminating factor when admissions tutors judge applications - as the majority have very high AS's and predictions. I was shortlisted by KCL, but then rejected in April. KCL seem to be pretty easy to get into as long as you have good GCSEs (say, 5 A*, A's and B's) or higher.
I had 1 A*, 6 A's, 2 B's, 1 C and 1 D alongside AS Grades of AACD (predicted AAA) and still managed to get into Durham and KCL. Rejected from Manchester purely on the basis of my GCSE grades though (also rejected from Warwick and Nottingham)
Reply 18
-Leyla-
Would you say that there's less emphasis on outstanding AS grades then, given that they're so often subject to retakes?

I've said this often, with the inability of as due to retakes the only concrete evidence of ability are gcses, like it or not. All the predicts and references in the world can all be way out, but gcses are a marker of your development in the same way a levels will be in due course.

I also think really top unis like to see strong gcses because they show consistant ability over many years rather than just good predicts which even if correct could show a johnny come lately approach to education.
MrsJones
I've said this often, with the inability of as due to retakes the only concrete evidence of ability are gcses, like it or not. All the predicts and references in the world can all be way out, but gcses are a marker of your development in the same way a levels will be in due course.

I also think really top unis like to see strong gcses because they show consistant ability over many years rather than just good predicts which even if correct could show a johnny come lately approach to education.

Fair enough, but if you actually declare your UMS marks, and even the individual module marks in the case of Cambridge - and they're outstanding, surely that's got to look fairly good.

Latest

Trending

Trending