The Student Room Group

Goodenough College - who's going/ application advise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
are there kitchens in the college?
Reply 21
pk007
are there kitchens in the college?

yes, there are 3 of them.
Reply 22
cpl.fir
yes, there are 3 of them.

good to know, there have been mixed ideas on what the facilities are like. some say they are not very popular so in that way you always have access to them. i have also heard that due to the fact there are 300plus members and three kitchens it is hard to get in and cook

is this true? any thoughts ?
Reply 23
cpl.fir
I was just offered a place at Goodenough!

Congrats!
btw when did u apply?
pk007
good to know, there have been mixed ideas on what the facilities are like. some say they are not very popular so in that way you always have access to them. i have also heard that due to the fact there are 300plus members and three kitchens it is hard to get in and cook

is this true? any thoughts ?

That's what put me off applying. How can there be so few kitchens? Do most people go for catered food?
Reply 25
For your info, half of the residents live in flats which already have a kitchenette. Therefore, the 3 kitchens are meant for the singles. However, they also provide catering for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I hardly think many people cook all the time. If that were the case, they would have expanded their cooking facilities a long time ago.
Reply 26
BeeZ
Congrats!
btw when did u apply?

Applied in June, and they got back within a month. I can't remember the exact dates, but I announced them in another thread for Goodenough.
cpl.fir
For your info, half of the residents live in flats which already have a kitchenette. Therefore, the 3 kitchens are meant for the singles. However, they also provide catering for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I hardly think many people cook all the time. If that were the case, they would have expanded their cooking facilities a long time ago.

Well, you never know. I've lived in plenty of residences with insufficient cooking facilities. Do the kitchens have loads of cupboards for people to store food, etc?
Reply 28
IzzyWizzy
Well, you never know. I've lived in plenty of residences with insufficient cooking facilities. Do the kitchens have loads of cupboards for people to store food, etc?

yes they do, I applied in June and when I informed them I was offered a place from U of L they offerred me a room, and will be receiving the formal offer within the next few weeks. most people eat catered food which is why they dont have enough kitchens (or so it seems). but Im taking the chance bc the community atmosphere looks great
Reply 29
I am going with Goodenough because I have been told from trusted sources that the experience there will be enjoyable and somehow rewarding. The who's who here has been there and I'm pleased to have been accepted. It seems to offer a lot more than just a place to sleep and study. I am looking at the big picture instead of pots and pans.
Reply 30
yah sounds reasonable!
as long as some other non-catering option is there then its cool. there is a reason you gt apply, the college atmosphere cannot be beaten
Reply 31
pk007
yah sounds reasonable!
as long as some other non-catering option is there then its cool. there is a reason you gt apply, the college atmosphere cannot be beaten

pk007 reality is, you will not be cooking often... get yourself a microwave and you'll save yourself time and money. Cooking for one person is a lot more expensive than buying frozen food (which now a days is quite tasty and some are even healthy), not to mention practical.
Reply 32
ncherrier
pk007 reality is, you will not be cooking often... get yourself a microwave and you'll save yourself time and money. Cooking for one person is a lot more expensive than buying frozen food (which now a days is quite tasty and some are even healthy), not to mention practical.

ahah lol thats true, im just saying options are better than no options! lets see what happens, just waiting for the formal offer - hopefully soon!
Reply 33
Another option which my friend suggested as to cook in larger quantities and freeze for later. For example, lasagne can be made and separated for heating in the over before serving.
I decided to not go to goodenough. While the social life there seems amazing, and the spaces they have look grand and amazing (librar, dining hall, the little park, common rooms okay-ish), the single rooms are imho crap. They are small (well, okay-ish for London standards) but look old, and ugly furniture. The floor I was staying (for 3 days), there was one bathroom (with a couple of toilets), all the way at the end of the hallway, for dozens of people. I really didn't feel comfortable!
I'm sure socially it's amazing there, and as I said the other rooms are pretty cool, too. I decided against it seeing that I really didn't feel comfortable in 'my' room, and with the toilet and kitchen situation. (3 kitchens for hundreds of people, and not easily accesible, a.k.a. 2 minutes walk like in a normal flat/hall)...
I can only recommend people who consider it to go visit the College and stay for a night or two (short-stay option in the summer for around 30 pounds)!

cheers
Reply 35
did anyone get their formal offers yet?
Bah. I Wish I had read this thread earlier. I have applied to the International Students House myself, and accepted the offer, plus the deposit. I'm starting to get a bit worried the accomodation will be terrible though. Goodenough is slightly cheaper, and looks a lot nicer honestly from the pics.

Edit: Been at Ish for a month now, and it's pretty nice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Anyone have any pics of the single rooms?
Wasn't able to find anything!
Thanks!
I was wondering if it is hard to get in? What qualifications are very important, and what qualifications were your acceptance based on?

It seems like a wonderful place, so lucky you for getting in.

Thanks!
Reply 39
Anyone got an offer from Goodenough College 2011/12?

I applied in June, but I got no news from the college, so I am a bit worried...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending