The Student Room Group

Goodenough College - who's going/ application advise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hello!

Goodenough guys should be sending decissions today to those who sent our application before the end of may. Has enyone got their decision?

Cheers!
Original post by peliqueiro
Hello!

Goodenough guys should be sending decissions today to those who sent our application before the end of may. Has enyone got their decision?

Cheers!

My friend got a rejection yesterday which we didn't really understand why (maybe they are getting short of rooms). What about you?

Also, does anyone know if Nuffield Health Club is of any good?
Reply 82
I got a rejection as well on friday. Pretty disappointing as the location was great for my school (aa). I dunno what will come better, a private hall or a flatshare, because I am lopking at places within walking ditance to Bedford sq.

Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 83
I've looked at Nuffield Health Club and looks great but it's f**** expensive!! :wink:
Reply 84
hi peliqueiro,
i also applied for Goodenough and was expected to hear whether i was excepted or not.
however, i haven't heard anything last Friday so i'm curious what happened and had a few questions.

did you receive the answer by email or just regular mail?
secondly, on the application website i can click on my application and there is the following list:

Application Started:
Room Reservation: 2509
Contract Signed
Application Complete

i'm not sure whether the room reservation is new or just something i overlooked when i looked at it previously. would you be able to check if there is something similar on your application site?

i will contact them next week asking them if something went wrong. but if it is not to much trouble you could really help me out and see if the reservation means i'm in.
Original post by peliqueiro
I got a rejection as well on friday. Pretty disappointing as the location was great for my school (aa). I dunno what will come better, a private hall or a flatshare, because I am lopking at places within walking ditance to Bedford sq.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that peliqueiro. You can try albany house on judd street. I stayed there couple of years back and the prices are quite resonable compared to other private halls in the area. For flatmate hunt, i reccomend; http://housing.lon.ac.uk/sclnew/scl_home.php Good luck.

Yeah, I read some good comments about Nuffield as well. Did you actually go there and see? Do they have enough free weights, bench presses, etc? And, how much is it? I couldn't find it online.
Reply 86
I received my answer via email. And there is no "room reservation" item on my web application. contact them just in case you were accepted and the email got lost or is just lying in your spam tray :wink:

Good luck!
Reply 87
Hi everyone!

On Friday I was sent an e-mail saying that they "would like to offer me a place in the College", but no further information was given. When I looked at my online application I saw that my status has not changed (it only says application completed). Is anyone in the same situation? I replied to their e-mail right away but I have had to response yet, and I need to know whether I have a room for sure very soon. Any advice?

Original post by SissiRK
Hi everyone!

On Friday I was sent an e-mail saying that they "would like to offer me a place in the College", but no further information was given. When I looked at my online application I saw that my status has not changed (it only says application completed). Is anyone in the same situation? I replied to their e-mail right away but I have had to response yet, and I need to know whether I have a room for sure very soon. Any advice?

They are a bit slow in responses but if you got the e-mail, then most probably you got a place. Congrats! I am still waiting for them to send me an official offer letter and arrival date questionnaire even though I got the offer e-mail a month ago and paid my deposit through accounts section in the application web-site. See you in September! :smile:
Reply 89
Hi borntodream!

Thanks for the response :smile: When you got your offer, was it just an e-mail or a letter giving details about dates and prices (or whether they have given you your 1-st choice room)? I am a bit confused because nothing has changed on my e-mail account, and I can't pay the deposit or anything.. Do you think I should just call?

Thanks in advance and hopefully see you in September!
Original post by SissiRK
Hi borntodream!

Thanks for the response :smile: When you got your offer, was it just an e-mail or a letter giving details about dates and prices (or whether they have given you your 1-st choice room)? I am a bit confused because nothing has changed on my e-mail account, and I can't pay the deposit or anything.. Do you think I should just call?

Thanks in advance and hopefully see you in September!

I got my offer on 11th of May. It was a long e-mail giving general info about the college and also the room type I got and deposit information. I am supposed to get another e-mail by this friday about dates and deposit payment details (but I already paid as I said without waiting for the e-mail and I hope it's OK). Did they ask you to reply to the e-mail and let them know if you accept the place or not? When I replied, it took them a week to reply back to tell me that they received my e-mail and haven't heard anything from them after that. I am sure you have a place and there is nothing to worry about but if it will make you more confortable just call and confirm. I guess they have a lot to deal with so their responses are a bit slow. :smile:
Reply 91
Thanks so much that really helped :smile:
Hello all, does anyone know how strict is goodenough college's guest policy?
Reply 93
Is there an embargo on photos of en-suite rooms in William Goodenough House? I can't find a single one on the internet, and I'd love to know what the room is like. I have an offer from Goodenough, and trying with John Adams Hall and to be hones, the room quality will decide it. Plus, the rates at JAH are cheaper.
Reply 94
Original post by JR246
Is there an embargo on photos of en-suite rooms in William Goodenough House? I can't find a single one on the internet, and I'd love to know what the room is like. I have an offer from Goodenough, and trying with John Adams Hall and to be hones, the room quality will decide it. Plus, the rates at JAH are cheaper.

I don't think it's so much an embargo as it is such photos may not exist yet. William Goodenough House has been closed for the past year in order to refurbish it and add en-suites to the rooms for single members. (So it does mean you'll have a shiny new bathroom).

There is a sample floor plan for en-suite rooms on the College website if that helps: http://www.goodenough.ac.uk/fileadmin/docs/foms/Single_room_with_ensuite_WGH_room_5113.pdf

And I'd also echo earlier advice on this thread - if you're just looking for a place to sleep/study, Goodenough might not be the most appropriate place, but if you want somewhere that you can get involved and you're willing to put a little bit of effort in (e.g., participating in clubs and societies, going to events and talking to new people, instead of just staying in your room), the College is a great place to be.
Anyone knows if they allow to have guests? for example if my sister would like to come and visit for 2 weeks? Is that possible or do I have to send her to a hotel?
Reply 96
I just got offered a room at goodenough but I'm starting to worry about the effort that we are expected to put into social events/clubs.

Does anyone have an idea of the amount of time per month we have to put into these events and how the process works in general?

*Edit after BetsyGirl's reply: The reason I asked whether there is a set number of hours per week/month was to see if we are "allowed" to freely allocate time towards these activities according to our university work load each semester (for example, I have much more work/studying to do in my 1st semester than in the 2nd and 3rd).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
I'm also miffed that I can't move in until September 28 even though my programme starts the 13th.

Reply 98
Original post by cookiemonsterFTW
Anyone knows if they allow to have guests? for example if my sister would like to come and visit for 2 weeks? Is that possible or do I have to send her to a hotel?

According to the handbook, a guest can stay with you for up to 14 nights. You can rent a camp bed for him/her for £4 per night.

PS As a member, you'll get a Member Handbook (it might be emailed to you or be accessed online on the College's private site, I'm not sure how they're doing it these days). The Handbook will provide all sorts of info about living at Goodenough.
Reply 99
Original post by car123
I just got offered a room at goodenough but I'm starting to worry about the effort that we are expected to put into social events/clubs.

Does anyone have an idea of the amount of time per month we have to put into these events and how the process works in general?

Hopefully there are activities that you want to be involved in rather than feel obligated to go to. There are loads of things to do and various ways that you can participate.

There will be a Clubs and Societies night in the autumn where the various groups have tables so you can find out more about them and sign up for ones that you want to check out. You can also see what there is and sign up for clubs on the College's private site (you'll get access once you join the College). There's lots of different clubs; e.g., a running club and other sports clubs, a cooking club, a salsa club, a crafts club, an international relations society, various cultural communities, a wine society, a group that goes on daytrips outside the M25 (and that's just a few of them). You can also start your own club if you want. Clubs are member-run and receive a budget so they can subsidize activities. When/how often they meet varies; e.g., the running club does a couple of informal group runs a week plus other races, but the wine society might meet once every month or two for (subsidized :biggrin:) wine tastings.

There are also other activities like talks, concerts, dining-in nights (where you get a free meal), a couple of balls, and conferences. And members might organize a week or weekend's worth of activities from their part of the world; there's usually a Canadian Cultural Week, a Latin American Cultural Week, and others.

If you're going to be staying at the College for more than a year, you will have to apply for renewal for the following year. There's a form to fill out which has a spot where you list stuff you've done (they don't expect you to fill a whole page - our main purpose is being students, after all - but you shouldn't have just hidden in your room either).

Hope that helps. I know I didn't give a set amount of hours per month, but think of it in terms of doing/learning stuff (and having fun and making friends - yes, I realise that sounds really cheesy) rather than trying to hit a target number of hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending