The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well, every higher is tough. Just work hard, the good grades will follow :smile:
Reply 2
i did int2 last year and got an A too!! Don't think higher should be as hard as a lot of people make out - just work hard at it!!
Reply 3
I did higher this year. In my first prelim i only got 26% but in the actuall Exam I got a B .
If you are some one who picks up on new techniques easily, you will probably find maths no bother, but if you are like me, and don't, you will have to work really hard at it. But once you pick up the techniques, it should become quite easy :smile:
Reply 4
thanks guys for the advice (:
Reply 5
don't take higher maths if you want an easy higher, i would say. it was my most difficult higher, and i got a 1 1 at standard grade. it's a tricky exam, but its doable.
I think the fact that you got an A at Int 2 shows you have at least some sort of mathematical ability. Though I've heard of many people who got As at Int 2 but failed Higher. I personaly find Maths, or at least Int 2 Maths quite straightforward but most of the Maths teachers I've spoken to have told me that the jump from Int 2 to Higher is massive.

So, yeah it probably is difficult but if you put the effort in and study properly then you are likely to pass, unlike in Int 2 which doesn't take a lot of effort to pass. Good Luck :smile:
My school gave statistics that said that if you had an A at Int 2 you had fractionally more than a 50% chance of passing the Higher. I'm slightly suspicious of this, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Higher is doable if you're not a great mathematician, but expect to have to work (from what I heard). Equally, if you are a good mathematician, it will be a cakewalk. However, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based purely on your grade at Intermediate.

I think, for whatever reason, Higher maths is often hyped up to be impossible. It really isn't. My school had 96 S5s sit Higher maths, 63 of them got As. My (top) set got 24 band 1s and 2 band 2s. Now, clearly this isn't awfully representative, but I promise that there were nothing like 63 really strong mathematicians in the year, so it's obviously quite possible to do well through work rather than ability.
Reply 8
It's not as hard as people are making it out to be in my opinion. I got a 1,1 at SG and a B throughout the whole year for higher. The basic stuff is easy enough to grasp if you practise and it's interpreting the harder questions which is more challenging. When it comes to prelim time, practise past papers all the way up to the exam and you should be fine. :biggrin:
Everything the unbeliever said.

But most importantly of all, it's higher maths

Meteorshower

Or "Higher Mathematics" if you really want to be pedantic. :p:

But yes, it isn't as bad as it's hyped up to be. Normally the vast majority of questions follow a fairly simple routine once you know how to apply it.
Reply 11
namedeprived

But yes, it isn't as bad as it's hyped up to be. Normally the vast majority of questions follow a fairly simple routine once you know how to apply it.

Spoken like a true mathmo
Respect :cool:
andi-fsm
Spoken like a true mathmo
Respect :cool:

Lol, thanks. :p:
namedeprived

Maths is an acceptable abbreviation, math is not (in my mind)

You wouldn't call it higher mathematic, so math doesn't work. Maths is fine though :p:
hey is anyone really good at maths like more than capable of getting 90% + at higher maths. If so i will pay you £300 to do 1 hour and 20 minutes worth of maths for me.
If interested please give us a shout
cheers
I got 90% + But I can't imagine a situation where what you propose isn't very dodgy :p:
Meteorshower
I got 90% + But I can't imagine a situation where what you propose isn't very dodgy :p:

It just doesn't add up does it...

:getmecoat:
namedeprived
It just doesn't add up does it...

:getmecoat:

I smell someone with FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR too much disposable income with some homework :p:
Reply 18
Meteorshower

I will see the OP tomorrow and I shall have a word with her about this :p:
C274
I will see the OP tomorrow and I shall have a word with her about this :p:

Thanks, it must be said :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending