The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nuodai
Torrents are used for zillions of things other than piracy, particularly in the free/open-source software community, although I'm sure that's somewhat outside of the scope of this thread.

I know lol
But really, you hear torrent, you think piracy first :rolleyes:

Or you should :unsure:
Reply 21
gummers
I know lol
But really, you hear torrent, you think piracy first :rolleyes:

Or you should :unsure:

Not really; I used to do a lot of seeding for Ubuntu CD images so that's normally what pops to mind. I stopped because it used to slow down my internet quite a bit (but admittedly I could have just throttled the maximum upload speed).
Reply 22
nuodai
Not really; I used to do a lot of seeding for Ubuntu CD images so that's normally what pops to mind. I stopped because it used to slow down my internet quite a bit (but admittedly I could have just throttled the maximum upload speed).

Fair enough
You use Ubuntu then?

I was thinking off Dual booting it, well was suppose be doing it the other week but couldn't be bothered. Whats your opinion of it?
Reply 23
gummers
Fair enough
You use Ubuntu then?

Yup, I've used it as my primary OS for about a year and a half now (before then I was on Vista, and before that, XP). I still have Vista installed, but I haven't used that for months.

gummers
I was thinking off Dual booting it, well was suppose be doing it the other week but couldn't be bothered. Whats your opinion of it?

If you're used to Windows and the Windows way of doing things, it can be a bit of a pain in the arse until you get used to how Ubuntu works. It's not any more or less complicated, it's just different. Actually it probably is more complicated in that there are times when the only way to do something is to use the terminal [command prompt] and bash it in using your keyboard.

But yes, I've never had any hardware issues. Wireless internet, bluetooth, MP3 player, USB sticks, external hard drivers, printers, webcam, video camera, speakers, microphone... you plug them in, wait a few seconds and they just work, without the need for driver installation CDs and suchlike (although some people have had issues with uncompatible wireless network cards and such).

As for software, the repositories have more or less everything you could want if you're not too much into gaming and can cope without Microsoft products, and they mean that you can install and uninstall things in 2 or 3 clicks. If you use MS Office, you'll either love or hate OpenOffice -- but since I used OO on Windows anyway, that wasn't a problem for me. Also, the other biggy is Photoshop -- some people find it very difficult to get used to GIMP after having used Photoshop for years; but it's very good when you get used to the way of doing things.

The GUI is good if you find the right theme (I use 'Dust', slightly modified), but once again it can take some getting used to if you've been using Windows all your life. I couldn't (and still can't) cope with 2 taskbars, so I merged them and made it look more like Windows does, for example :p:

It doesn't hurt to try anyway, especially since it's free. It's worth booting into the Live CD before you install it just to make sure your internet works though, because if it doesn't you'll spend weeks trying to get it to work before giving up and reverting to Windows again. After that, it's all about adaptation really :p:
Reply 24
LOL at the moral highground people are taking for supporting piracy and damging the industries.

I download some stuff, but I'm not stupid, I'd much prefer if everyone else paid for it.
Reply 25
because you post a screenshot of your upload/download ratio on forums and it gets you serious creds
Just being nice :smile:
Reply 27
You're a ******* leech that's why.
It always pisses me off when a torrent takes an age due to a lack of seeders, so obviously I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I didn't seed some of my downloads
Reply 29
Because:

Reply 30
Good Karma
Reply 31
If you use a private tracker, you have to upload as uch as you download. Or at least keep the ratio at an acceptable limit.
Reply 32
Keeping the community alive.
Reply 33
Because when you seed, you get seed points which are kept in the IWSB (Internet Web Seeding Bank) and if you have enough seeds, you can claim a variety of prizes, ranging from a free song download at max speed, to a free domain and web hosting for a year.
Reply 34
The uploader shouldn't be expected to seed to everybody. That's not why BitTorrent was created. People need to seed for torrents to stay alive, else the BitTorrent community would be dead. Most people will seed until they have given as much back as they have taken, but obviously there are some who will seed for days, and those are the people that make torrenting possible for us.
Reply 35
Because not everyone is a hypocrite. You're clearly pro-downloading and yet you aren't willing to the help the cause by seeding to help other people download? That's pretty selfish. If everyone did what you did, then you'd all be screwed.
Reply 36
chill i've started uploading
Because when you're a part of a private tracker site, uploading torrents allows room for downloads of other stuff so you don't get banned :smile:
Reply 38
Better your seed the better your download.
omicronlyrae
Some people are just nice. Personally I don't see the point and do what you do :p:

Me too. I'll try to make it up to around 0.9 to 1 but not much more

Latest

Trending

Trending