The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't use torrents, i generally use rapidshare. But personally i don't share anything and i wouldn't seed, because the dangers of being prosecuted are higher than if you just download. But i understand that if no one seeded, there would be no download
Reply 41
biffyclyro27
But personally i don't share anything and i wouldn't seed, because the dangers of being prosecuted are higher than if you just download.

This is false.
Dez
This is false.

explain? All the cases of prosecution due to piracy that i have heard of were because of sharing files, not downloading.
Reply 43
As I explained before, any cases you've heard of are either publicity stunts or urban myth, and several of those stunts were people being prosecuted soley for downloading, not for uploading content. The most recent case in the news was a downloader I believe. But it's all a moot point, because the chances that you'll ever get prosecuted is absolutely remote.
Reply 44
Same reason as people arent complete pricks in real life. Its polite.
Reply 45
hec
This has been bothering me for a while, I don't understand why people seed torrents?

Sure, if you have something you want to share with the world then create and seed a torrent, but why do people seed torrents after they have downloaded the whole thing? Obviously reasons of etiquette must come into it, but is there any other reason?

Personally I have just been downloading to 100 and removing the torrent.

So...why should I not do this?
Because the more people that seed the easier and quicker it is to download. The more people seeding the more likely one of them will be online.
gummers
I know lol
But really, you hear torrent, you think piracy first

Or you should

I used to do the same when seeing 5 hour video tapes in WHSmiths, especially as a pack of four. Why do you need 20 hours of time shifting?!?!?!
CE.Guy
because sometimes, private trackers have a rule saying what your seed:size of file ratio has to be, like some are 2:1, which is why they are PRIVATE, and hep you to download :wink:

Well some impose a rule of either ratio of 1:1 or seeding of 72 hours for individual torrents or 120 hours for a pack. I've not known any tracker to impose a 2:1 ratio though, and I have been with/or with currently ScT, FTN, RevTT etc.
Why the bloody hell NOT?

NDGAARONDI
Why do you need 20 hours of time shifting?!?!?!

Too dumb for words!!! Some people work? Have kids? Have got a social life? These things don't wait, but the DVD player does ....
zploekzploek
Why the bloody hell NOT?

Too dumb for words!!! Some people work? Have kids? Have got a social life? These things don't wait, but the DVD player does ....

Yeah right. You mean keep a video library of pirated shows off the TV. If you really need twenty hours to time shift then something is wrong with your life. Either you're not coping with your children, you're badly organised, or you're a sad loser whose life is only employment. You know, the type of people who refuse to stop working after retirement age because they claim they will have nothing better to do with themselves. I've worked fifty hour weeks consistently before and haven't needed to resort to mass time shifting of this scale. So cut the crap out please.
Reply 50
biffyclyro27
explain? All the cases of prosecution due to piracy that i have heard of were because of sharing files, not downloading.

yes, but when youre DLing a torrent its also uploading too.
Besides, if you go to any Torrent forum and say something along the lines of 'I love downloading but dont see the point in uploading so dont do it and my current ratio is 0.05' you're asking for a flamewar. Seriously, those guys hate leeches with a vengeance:wink:
Reply 51
NDGAARONDI
Yeah right. You mean keep a video library of pirated shows off the TV. If you really need twenty hours to time shift then something is wrong with your life. Either you're not coping with your children, you're badly organised, or you're a sad loser whose life is only employment. You know, the type of people who refuse to stop working after retirement age because they claim they will have nothing better to do with themselves. I've worked fifty hour weeks consistently before and haven't needed to resort to mass time shifting of this scale. So cut the crap out please.

Having looked at your post in the context of VHS tapes, well, back when they were more common, people would often record things off the TV to keep, in particular movies, or maybe a whole television series. The same applies now, but with downloading instead of recording.
Also, let's say there is a television series, 20 1 hour length episodes, equating to 20 hours overall. This series is shown on Saturday 8pm. I want to watch it, but I work from 1-9 every Saturday. There is no bad organisation of my life, it is simply unlucky that it is shown 1 day of the week, when I am working. (For purposes of this example, there are no repeats on the terrestrial channel it is being shown, only other channels which I don't have)
Many people will do it simply out of goodwill. However, on most private trackers/websites it is required/suggested that your share ratio remains above a certain figure (generally 1:1/1.00).
hobo06
Having looked at your post in the context of VHS tapes, well, back when they were more common, people would often record things off the TV to keep, in particular movies, or maybe a whole television series. The same applies now, but with downloading instead of recording.
Also, let's say there is a television series, 20 1 hour length episodes, equating to 20 hours overall. This series is shown on Saturday 8pm. I want to watch it, but I work from 1-9 every Saturday. There is no bad organisation of my life, it is simply unlucky that it is shown 1 day of the week, when I am working. (For purposes of this example, there are no repeats on the terrestrial channel it is being shown, only other channels which I don't have)

Then you watch it as soon as you have free time. I don't know if there is, or was, a supposed limit on what constitutes time shifting. I mean I have some footage on VHS that I haven't seen for years now. All I am saying is that, and you will know this anyway, that piracy has not suddenly become a new phenomenon as people make out with torrents and the such with the Internet, although it has got easier with software and hardware developments, but it has always existed. The same goes with extremely large hard drives and massive cake boxes of DVD-Rs.

The good thing I felt with VHSs at the time was that I could record footage that will never be commercially available, such as episodes of Call My Bluff and Gladiators. Strictly speaking it's piracy but I'm not sure whether the big wigs behind the programmes really care.
Reply 54
Some sharing websites require it. I know one of the private torrent sites I'm on requires you keep at least a 1 : 1 ratio or you're gone, so obviously you're going to want to upload as much as you can if you download a lot. Took me a while to get into this particular torrent site, so I certainly keep my ratio as high as I can!

As for getting caught by sharing, the only way you'll get caught is if you're caught doing it on public trackers (which is why I never use a public tracker to download anything through torrents - although I don't use torrents too much these days (rapidshare/megaupload)).
t47
yes, but when youre DLing a torrent its also uploading too.
Besides, if you go to any Torrent forum and say something along the lines of 'I love downloading but dont see the point in uploading so dont do it and my current ratio is 0.05' you're asking for a flamewar. Seriously, those guys hate leeches with a vengeance:wink:

Fair do's, i don't use torrents anyways so thats not the case for me. I understand why they hate leechers though.
I hate leechers, personally i dont seed till 1 ratio just leave it up there for a few more days.
Reply 57
NDGAARONDI
Then you watch it as soon as you have free time. I don't know if there is, or was, a supposed limit on what constitutes time shifting. I mean I have some footage on VHS that I haven't seen for years now. All I am saying is that, and you will know this anyway, that piracy has not suddenly become a new phenomenon as people make out with torrents and the such with the Internet, although it has got easier with software and hardware developments, but it has always existed. The same goes with extremely large hard drives and massive cake boxes of DVD-Rs.

The good thing I felt with VHSs at the time was that I could record footage that will never be commercially available, such as episodes of Call My Bluff and Gladiators. Strictly speaking it's piracy but I'm not sure whether the big wigs behind the programmes really care.

Ah I realise I completely ignored your point about piracy, whilst at the same time making the same point myself. My bad. Still, it is possible for someone to need 20 hours, maybe for a tv show marathon...(yeh, I'm just trying to redeem myself).
I think there were a few attempts at law suits against people recording TV shows to VHS, but they clearly had no impact (and even if they did, it wouldn't have lasted, with the advances in technology as you mentioned).

Xtrm2Matt
Some sharing websites require it. I know one of the private torrent sites I'm on requires you keep at least a 1 : 1 ratio or you're gone, so obviously you're going to want to upload as much as you can if you download a lot. Took me a while to get into this particular torrent site, so I certainly keep my ratio as high as I can!

As for getting caught by sharing, the only way you'll get caught is if you're caught doing it on public trackers (which is why I never use a public tracker to download anything through torrents - although I don't use torrents too much these days (rapidshare/megaupload)).

But what's to stop people signing up to private trackers to catch you? Most just require signing up with a valid email address, maybe an invitation, which isn't that difficult to get, this is the internet after all. And those where you have to upload before you download in order to keep a high ratio, they can always upload legal material in order to gain full access and track everyone else. There is no way to be 100% safe and anonymous on the internet, no matter what you do.
hobo06
Ah I realise I completely ignored your point about piracy, whilst at the same time making the same point myself. My bad. Still, it is possible for someone to need 20 hours, maybe for a tv show marathon...(yeh, I'm just trying to redeem myself).
I think there were a few attempts at law suits against people recording TV shows to VHS, but they clearly had no impact (and even if they did, it wouldn't have lasted, with the advances in technology as you mentioned).

There will be a minority of people that fit your situation but whether or not they are 100% of the people buying the VHSs that I have described is another matter. Don't forget these aren't bought individually and you can use long play to get twice the duration too. The amount of risk to being caught, if you're not completely dumb, are really quite small. Probably even smaller than being struck by a car or by lightning, even. That said, humans never always perceive risk fairly.

hobo06
But what's to stop people signing up to private trackers to catch you? Most just require signing up with a valid email address, maybe an invitation, which isn't that difficult to get, this is the internet after all. And those where you have to upload before you download in order to keep a high ratio, they can always upload legal material in order to gain full access and track everyone else. There is no way to be 100% safe and anonymous on the internet, no matter what you do.

The issue with being caught is not as simple as only to think of the method you are using. Private trackers are, by their very nature, more exclusive. As such, their membership will be less prone to exposure to copyright authorities. However, if this membership is large enough, even if it private or semi-private, then a music record label will complain as this was the case with Demonoid. It is interesting on being mentioned about undercover users. It has happened before, and appeared in an academic periodical (law report or journal), but the country where the researcher comes from (Poland) has since been universally banned on all private trackers that I know of. Haven't investigated whether it's because of this but I have a hunch it is.

By the way, you can always change the email address you signed up with to a free email address and you can make a new one of these in an internet cafe or library rather than at home. Not sure if any have theirs fixed, mind.
Reply 59
hobo06

You're right, which is why I don't use "private" trackers like Demonoid which simply require a quick invite.

Private trackers are ranked 1-5 or 1-10 (5 or 10 being the highest respectively). The tracker I'm on is rated 4.5 and 9 on which ever scale you go for so we're not talking about every man and his dog has an account and available invites (i.e. Demonoid). Invites are only given on request and the admins consider the request before they dish one out for you.

Yes, the chances that a Fed is there to catch you out will always be there, but with such trackers like mine, it's very unlikely.

Latest

Trending

Trending