The Student Room Group

What is the Oxford equivalent of the Cambridge Footlights?

As the title says just got me curious.

Thanks.

Also I don't mean a random drama club or something - more like something as prestigious or famous as the footlights.

*And as it turns out i can't spell Cambridge >.<
The Oxford Revue
Reply 2
As 2 + 2 = 5 says, the Oxford Revue is probably the Oxford equivalent. They're pretty successful; most of their shows in Oxford seem to sell out and they tour quite a lot e.g. they're currently doing sell-out shows at the Edinburgh Festival.
Reply 3
The Oxford Revue...but they're not that funny, certainly not in the same league as the Footlights for history and pedigree either.
Reply 4
They were not so long ago. The problem was in... 2006 maybe? Or 2007, I forget. Anyway, one of the really really funny girls who had written a very large chunk of their material finished her degree and started out as a comedian and actress. And, fairly unsurprisingly really, she copywrited all of her material and withdrew permission for them to use it. I saw them not long after and really it was Grace Ang-Lygate (sp??), who used to run the Oxford Belles I think, holding it together with a couple of her big spoof numbers (Emphysema, Stockholm Syndrome and Condoleeza Rice stand out). It's not surprising really that when they've had a good writer who leaves and they lose their best material at the same time that things will take a dive. I mean the year that Out of the Blue lost something like 11 members in one year they took a nose dive (which isn't to say they were bad by any means - they just came down to the level of In the Pink and the Alternotives) and nobody was surprised, and this is pretty similar. From what I hear though, the Revue are back on the way up :smile:
Reply 5
Does anyone know what the situation is now with the quality and success of the Oxford Revue and the Cambridge Footlights respectively?
the Footle Lights ?

:dontknow:
Original post by Rayel
As the title says just got me curious.

Thanks.

Also I don't mean a random drama club or something - more like something as prestigious or famous as the footlights.

*And as it turns out i can't spell Cambridge >.<

I believe it's known as the Conservative cabinet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending