The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im noit going to be using books, i am going to use mainly past papers, whith the help of the internet where i get stuck
Reply 2
troubles
hi

any one here doing AQA ICT a level?!?!

if so..which books u using for it? :confused:

im using A LEVEL ICT 2ND EDITION by P.M.Heathcote..

iv done my unit 1-4 and unit 6..i only have unit 5 to do now..
what books u guys use?!

oh and hav u noticed that best way for ICT is past papers cos a lot of the qstns r repeated

The Heathcote textbook is good, I'm using that. Past papers and mark schemes are excellent, used them for ICT4 and that was my best exam, so i'mdoing that this time too.
Reply 3
Heathcote textbook is good

It is so wordy about nothing at times though... try going through past papers and summarising that heathcote book into your own easy to remember notes! :smile:
Reply 4
The ICT revision guides should have summarised notes on the topics you've learnt.
Reply 5
The best way to revise is to teach. You remember 95% of what you do and can apply it more easily when explaining in the exam, should you be required to do so.

Get a mate whos doing the same exam, and teach them something, then vice versa, it works.

(That obviously depends on what type of learner you are)

Books we got given from school is the white Heathcote one heh, its alright but i find the grade maximiser software from Payne-Gallway (sp?) is quite good. I find i get less bored of that.
Reply 6
Alchemy
The best way to revise is to teach. You remember 95% of what you do and can apply it more easily when explaining in the exam, should you be required to do so.

Get a mate whos doing the same exam, and teach them something, then vice versa, it works.

(That obviously depends on what type of learner you are)

Books we got given from school is the white Heathcote one heh, its alright but i find the grade maximiser software from Payne-Gallway (sp?) is quite good. I find i get less bored of that.

That grade maximiser software from payne gallway irritates the hell out of me!! It hasn't helped me in anyway, different people learn in diffrent ways i guess! So is anyone doing AQA ICT 5?? and does anyone know where i can get some decent notes for it?
Reply 7
Well, it annoys me at first because the bitch who writes it just plays with your mind and pretends that teaching you about linux will help in the exam, it wont. :tongue:

But it annoys me even more because i know it works in the end, and they make money out of my success, which, i figure, should essentially be my success money,

so on, so forth. :\
Reply 8
hey heres some good stuff for ICT
lots of notes and past papers etc
hope its helpful

http://www.nchadderton.zen.co.uk/ICT5.html :biggrin:
Reply 9
troubles
hi

any one here doing AQA ICT a level?!?!

if so..which books u using for it? :confused:

im using A LEVEL ICT 2ND EDITION by P.M.Heathcote..

iv done my unit 1-4 and unit 6..i only have unit 5 to do now..
what books u guys use?!

oh and hav u noticed that best way for ICT is past papers cos a lot of the qstns r repeated

I done ICT 5 in january, didn't revise and got 89/90, so that is a pretty easy exam. :cool:

Anyone doing ICT 1 or 4?
fatant
im noit going to be using books, i am going to use mainly past papers, whith the help of the internet where i get stuck

I'm a big fan of Computer Studies for A Level from www.computerstudies.info
and is definately the book to have for A Level Computing although I like Bradly's Understanding Computer Science for some topics because it goes into degree level. I don't like the Heathcote book. Some of it just doesn't make any sense and never covers what you need to know for an exam question.
Reply 11
I doubt you managed 89/90 with NO revision whatsoever? :rolleyes:

I got 90/90 on ICT4 in January, BUT I put a LOT of work in...

Wrinkles
I done ICT 5 in january, didn't revise and got 89/90, so that is a pretty easy exam. :cool:

Anyone doing ICT 1 or 4?
Reply 12
_Adam_

Same here, i had revised and knew the whole module a month before the exam...was a very nice exam too, when it said 90 on the sheet I thought i'd got a B, because i'd got 95/b for german but that was from 120. Well done for also getting 90!! :cool: Was so happy when my teacher grabbed my results sheet then said you got 100%, was embarrassing when the whole class was told though :redface:
Reply 13
acidhouserock
I'm a big fan of Computer Studies for A Level from www.computerstudies.info
and is definately the book to have for A Level Computing although I like Bradly's Understanding Computer Science for some topics because it goes into degree level. I don't like the Heathcote book. Some of it just doesn't make any sense and never covers what you need to know for an exam question.

Yeah, those books are good. I saw some sample pages somewhere, and they are great. The website also have some links to some particualr aspects of computing/ICT. Too bad I don't have enough money to buy them. I am stuck with the A-level Computing Heathcote book. In my opinion, I think the book is alright in some ways. It seems that lots of schools/colleges use Heathcote books for Computing/ICT, as that's they only book that follows the AQA exam board. In their opinion, the book is good.

I got the 5th edition of the Computing book which was published a year ago. It has updated information on some topics.
http://www.computerstudies.info/products/AQAbook/csbook.html

I guess these are the sample chapters you are talking about. I agree that they are spot on for AQA.

Acid
Reply 15
acidhouserock
http://www.computerstudies.info/products/AQAbook/csbook.html

I guess these are the sample chapters you are talking about. I agree that they are spot on for AQA.

Acid

Yes, those sample chapters. I remember there are some notes about computing/ICT which can be found here: http://www.computerstudies.info/contents/contents.html
i can't revise from the book... fall asleep too easily! prefer to look at past papers and internet
Reply 17
*starry_eyed_*
i can't revise from the book... fall asleep too easily! prefer to look at past papers and internet

I could revise from the book. However, I revise more from the notes though. I just look at the book for more details. The book is quite useful, as it provides more detail, which you can get high marks in the exam.
Reply 18
_Adam_

honestly i did! in january, i had a biology and an english resit as well as the ICT and spent all my time revising them!!
Reply 19
Wrinkles
honestly i did! in january, i had a biology and an english resit as well as the ICT and spent all my time revising them!!

it is possible, just depend how you relate the subject

Latest

Trending

Trending