The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh applicants chat thread and FAQ *read the first post*

Please note:

This FAQ was made for the 09-10 application cycle and the information given here was correct at the time of writing for applicants applying to study at Edinburgh in September 2010 or deferred entry in September 2011.

I am aware that some of the academic requirements (particularly surrounding typical offers and entry requirements) have changed for the 10-11 cycle and I will endeavour to update this information as soon as possible. I realise that the information listed in the 2011 online prospectus is rather vague but I have a feeling this may be as much information as Edinburgh are prepared to give at this time.

Therefore please CHECK ONLINE or email Edinburgh to ensure that you have the most up to date information before applying.

Applying and UCAS

Do I need to have any special Standard Grade/Higher/AH or GCSE/A level subjects?

Spoiler

I am English/go to a private school/from the SE of England/applied to Oxbridge, does this mean I will be automatically rejected?

Spoiler

I want to apply for 2011 entry but I’m not predicted 10 million As in my final exams, should I bother?

Spoiler

I’m an international (non EU) student, will this affect my application?

Spoiler

I really want to go to Edinburgh should I apply for more than one course?

Spoiler

After making your application to Edinburgh

I applied 10 million years ago, when will I hear back?

Spoiler

Edinburgh has not sent me a welcome letter/accommodation information/open day details/anything in the post should I contact them?

Spoiler

I’ve just realised that the degree I’ve applied for is an MA surely that’s a postgraduate course!! I want to do an undergraduate degree!

Spoiler

I was rejected despite meeting the minimum entry requirements what is going on?

Spoiler

My teacher/friend/incorrect post on TSR said that even though Edinburgh advertise BBB(B) as their entry requirements, all of the offers are AAA for the College of Humanities and Social Science Help?!

Spoiler

I’m a medicine applicant, when will I find out if I have an interview?

Spoiler

Post offer issues

Who else on TSR has applied/been given an offer for my course?

Spoiler

Edinburgh is my firm or insurance choice, now what?

Spoiler

I want a current student’s opinion of course X, please!

Spoiler

I've realised I want to study course X instead of the one I have an offer for, can I change it?

Spoiler

Which accommodation is the best? Shall I pick catered or self catered? Do I apply for a small or large size room? When do I need to apply?

Spoiler

Disclaimer:

I do not work for the University of Edinburgh - I was a student here and successfully completed my undergraduate studies in July 2010. Any advice given in this thread by me (or any of the other Edinburgh students) is not given as a representative of the University of Edinburgh. Therefore, what we say is not given in an official capacity and you are advised to check with the University if in doubt at any point during your application.

Remember: I am a graduate, not a staff member. This means I can not check the progress of your application or comment on when you will be given an offer. Please do not PM me as I am unable to help you. For people who think this final point seems odd it is because I have been sent a several PMs a month during this UCAS cycle regarding specific offers and applications :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sorry, i'm not sure about postgraduate, international students.
But i got my decision mid October for BSc Geography.

Generally (comparing my friend's offers) those applying for BSc courses got their offers earlier, whereas the BA students didn't get replies until a lot later, up to Feb/Mar.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Providing, I have a average or less in GCSE

Physics - Computer A
Maths - English - Religion B
French - English Literature - Graphical Communication C
German D

and I've got a fair chance of getting an AAAA in
Pure Maths
Applied Maths / Mechanics
Computing
Physics

and lack extra curricular activities (I'm keen on cycling but I am in no club).

I am from Malta.

What are my chances of getting into a computing&informatics course (haven't decided which yet)?

Please if you have information or had any similar experience it would really help!!

Thanks!!!
Reply 3
joneal
Thought I would try to start a new thread for applicants for 2010/11. I know it's reealllyy early but has anyone else started their application yet?

After browsing around the older threads it looked to me like everyone will get a decision by mid march. Does anyone know the earliest people will receive decisions? Will it make a difference in the amount of time i'll have to wait for a decision since am an international student applying as a postgrad?

I applied last year, near mid November, as an International Postgraduate Student. The decision only took a couple of weeks. On the other hand, my boyfriend applied in January, and they took a considerable time (more than two months...). I advise you to apply before December Holidays, it will be faster and this give you enough time to apply to University Scholarships (Shell, International Scheme and others Scholarships closes early, and you need to be admitted to apply).
Hey guys
Can any one tell me about the management courses in Edinburgh, which do not require Work-X
also what is scene of placement after the completion of course....
thanks
Reply 5
I sent my application away last october and got a reply in around March time for MA Geography :P
Reply 6
1q2w3e

Generally (comparing my friend's offers) those applying for BSc courses got their offers earlier, whereas the BA students didn't get replies until a lot later, up to Feb/Mar.

getting a response as early as October is quite amazing. When did you send the application in? september? and why so early?
Reply 7
Thanks a lot! I'm really grateful :smile:
Reply 8
thanks for all the help! I actually already sent in my application a day or two ago.. it's really early but oh well.. I'm impatient. I might lose all my hair if I have to wait until march! not to mention I feel like I have a million things to do before then. :p:

...by the way i'm applying for MSc Ecological Economics.
Reply 9
joneal
thanks for all the help! I actually already sent in my application a day or two ago.. it's really early but oh well.. I'm impatient. I might lose all my hair if I have to wait until march! not to mention I feel like I have a million things to do before then. :p:

...by the way i'm applying for MSc Ecological Economics.

Great! you can also apply to the Shell Scholarship. I won it this year, so if you need any help just tell me.
Reply 10
Hello there,

The course that doesn't require experience is the MSc in Management. I am just about to graduate from that course. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 11
Hello,
Firstly I just got my As results with an A in English (no retakes) and BC (with retakes...and future retakes) so what offer (if any) am i likely to get if I apply?

Also, can any lovely people studying English Literature at Edinburgh tell me how they fiind the course, give details on it and the Uni ect

:smile:

Thank you.
thanks armoran for ur reply
i m planing to apply in this course, can u tell me
1)what all is the requirement, and when can i apply
2) Is it worth to study from Edinburgh
3) i m from computer background, can u tell me what all we have study in this course
4) what is scene of placement after completion of course

waiting for ur reply
thanks
Reply 13
Recieved my Higher results this year with A in English Physics and History and B in Computing and Maths and despite being pleased with these I'm really worried that these may not be enough to get accepted into Edinburgh to do Law.

I know they say that BBBB is the requirements however to me that feels lower than many other places.

Really I'm just wondering what anyone here who is doing Law had when they went to Edinburgh and whether they think what I have will be good enough to get accepted

Thx :biggrin:
theBOON
Providing, I have a average or less in GCSE

Physics - Computer A
Maths - English - Religion B
French - English Literature - Graphical Communication C
German D

and I've got a fair chance of getting an AAAA in
Pure Maths
Applied Maths / Mechanics
Computing
Physics

and lack extra curricular activities (I'm keen on cycling but I am in no club).

I am from Malta.

What are my chances of getting into a computing&informatics course (haven't decided which yet)?

Please if you have information or had any similar experience it would really help!!

Thanks!!!

I have just got the grades for a confirmed place for English Lit at Edinburgh next year. my GCSEs were 3 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs and 1 C, my AS levels (which i applied with) were ABCD. (which i got up to AAB at A2). the personal statement is very important for Edinburgh, as my grades prove that you don't have to be an AAAA student to get a place
Reply 15
1q2w3e

Hi I was thinking of applying to Edinburgh to do geo and anthropology what grades do you think I would need?
I've got a confirmed place on UCAS, but no confirmation letter or accommodation offer as of yet (I'll give them a ring if i have neither by 30th)... but does anyone know when we move in (hoping for a place in pollock halls) and I'm presuming that freshers week starts at the same time??
i have no ideaaaaaaa
I think the 14th september, i presume thats freshers week and my course starts a week later.
Reply 18
Charmer
Hi I was thinking of applying to Edinburgh to do geo and anthropology what grades do you think I would need?

Check the website/prospectus or UCAS, then aim higher than the grades they tell you.
Reply 19
Colonel Brusnahan
Check the website/prospectus or UCAS, then aim higher than the grades they tell you.

Yes, Edinburgh are friendly enough to say "minimum requirement" as well as stating "but we usually give offers to students who achieve well over minimum requirement". I think they even state the "true" grades required

Latest