The Student Room Group

Chemistry after an access course - lots of work?

Hi all,

I have just completed an access course and will be studying chemistry soon, abit of agnst regarding the workload and level of study. Will I severely struggle because I have missed 2 years of A level chemistry :eek3: :eek: :eek3: :eek: ?

Apparently the addmissions tutor who interviewed me thought not, hence the offer of a place, but I'm getting a little worried. I'm fairly bright but just haven't got the same level of confidence to go with it.

So anyone know of anyone who's done this before (chemistry I mean), and the struggles they faced?
Reply 1
I am starting a chemistry degree with the Open University in October. Currently doing a finance course... no science since GCSE (double C but didn't apply myself at all) so yeah, it will be jumping in at the deep end. I am a little worried about the math involved but I am living in the mindset that if you work really hard, you can get it. Nothing is impossible!

Good luck!
Reply 2
I did Chemistry on my access course and I hadn't even studied it to GCSE level - I found it quite hard, physical chemistry especially so. I've just studied biochemistry as part of my first year at uni and quite enjoyed it.

Half+half, can I ask how come you are doing a chemistry degree without doing the pre-degree science course the OU recommend? What would you like to do after the chemistry degree?
Reply 3
Roodie

Half+half, can I ask how come you are doing a chemistry degree without doing the pre-degree science course the OU recommend? What would you like to do after the chemistry degree?

Well I am beginning with S104. I've got a friend who has completed this course with less science knowledge than I have going into it which gives me confidence. I know it will be hard and perhaps the preparatory course would ease me in more but I want to get the ball rolling.

A chemistry degree is my temporary goal because I want to get in to Bristol med school and they ask for chemistry A level. With no A levels myself, I plan to study chemistry to a stage at which they will accept me.

I'm hoping to find out more at the open day I'm attending in September. After then I should be able to have a better idea of what they would prefer.
Reply 4
Good luck with med school. Have a look at New Media Medicine forum for help on getting in if you haven't been on there yet. x
Reply 5
Hey,
I'm a Third Year Chemist at Reading and came via the Access Route. You can do the degree but the workload is intense. I spent the first few months almost overwhelmed by stuff I didn't know or understand. Try not to panic and do ask for help when you need it.
I would be really interested to hear from you again. My final year project is an educational one. I'm researching Access students taking physical science degrees and writing a manual for our department specifically for Access and out of Department students. A 'Don't Panic' guide - mainly physical chemistry.
So far as I know, the dropout rate for us is pretty brutal at least it is at Reading. The main thing is to ask for help. Good Luck!
Sarah
Reply 6
Be careful studying chemistry as there is some difficult maths, incl calculus, wave equations and of course the spectroscopy. I studied it as a mature student after studying for the A-level a year before (this was in the early 90's). I wasn't prepared for the maths element and struggled despite the lecturer at the interview welcoming me with open arms saying I would be fine. I wasn't I ended up with a third!
Reply 7
I was wondering the exact same thing. I am currently doing an Access course and applying for chemistry 2011 entry. Let me know what you find out :smile:
Reply 8
Read a lot in the holidays. Organic chemistry for Dummies got me through the first couple of terms. Get a book on basic chemistry calculations. Transition metals, basic inorganic, lots and lots and lots of calculations. Give me a yell and I'll send you a list of websites I found really useful.
Reply 9
Original post by scu07ss2
Read a lot in the holidays. Organic chemistry for Dummies got me through the first couple of terms. Get a book on basic chemistry calculations. Transition metals, basic inorganic, lots and lots and lots of calculations. Give me a yell and I'll send you a list of websites I found really useful.

I'd like the websites please :smile:

and also, what sort of stuff did you write on your UCAS form that Reading liked? Would really like to know because Reading is one of my choices.
Reply 10
Hyperphysics - brilliant for physical chemistry.
Chemguide - www.chemguide.co.uk
Web Elements
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/
Calculations in AS/A leve chemistry, Jim Clark, Pearson Education, 2000,
ISBN:978-0-582-41127-2 (Book)
Reading is a good university. The learning curve is pretty steep but the lecturers are supportive, the notes are excellent and there are support workshops and stuff that can help you catch up.
I didn't actually write too much on UCAS personal statement because I had no idea what to say either. I think I said that as a mature student, I offered a different outlook and that I felt my age was a positive thing. The Chemistry department is pretty inclusive, which is a really good thing. You'll definitely be interviewed as a mature student from an Access Course.
Read up on:
Equilibria
Kinetics Solids, Liquids, Gases (phase change)
Thermodynamics
I mean, REALLY read up. Look at maths problems as well. That will help you enormously. If you want, I'll send you a copy of my Third Year project. I'm making a booklet for the department for Access students and out of department students that explains first year physical chemistry, or at least a couple of the subjects. A kind of Dummies Guide.
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 11
Web Elements
Reading is a good university. The learning curve is pretty steep but the lecturers are supportive, the notes are excellent and there are support workshops and stuff that can help you catch up.
I didn't actually write too much on UCAS personal statement because I had no idea what to say either. I think I said that as a mature student, I offered a different outlook and that I felt my age was a positive thing. The Chemistry department is pretty inclusive, which is a really good thing. You'll definitely be interviewed as a mature student from an Access Course.
Read up on:
Equilibria
Thermodynamics
I mean, REALLY read up. Look at maths problems as well. That will help you enormously. If you want, I'll send you a copy of my Third Year project. I'm making a booklet for the department for Access students and out of department students that explains first year physical chemistry, or at least a couple of the subjects. A kind of Dummies Guide.

yeah that would be cool. thanks for the websites dude
Reply 12
Web Elements
Read up on:
Equilibria
Thermodynamics

I failed AS Chem and will be studying it in a foundation year so thank you for the help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending