The Student Room Group

Just incase things dont go as planned, I need to choose some S6 subjects.

Incase I don't get my place in college, I need to go to school this week.

I can't do Chemistry if I got an A so I'll be dropping that.

That means this year I'm taking Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Biology and Advanced Higher Art.

The rule at my school is 3 Advanced Highers or a mix of 4 Highers/Adanced Highers.

Should I drop maths and pick up a 3rd Advanced Higher? If so, what one? My mum thinks Chemistry but I'm not so sure...

Should I pick up a second Higher? I would likely end up crashing this due to coloumn arrangments however make sugestions and if we conclude a second higher is the way to go, I'll post the coloums up.

My last option would be t do an ECDL at college in place of a fourth subject.

For those of you who aren't aware, I want to be a nurse. I have the grades/subjects needed so technically I don't really need this year and Abertay even said I should go through clearing. I'm not ready for that though which is why I've applied for a HNC at college.

So incase no one pulls out and a place doesnt come available, what should I do suject wise?

Thanks for your help everyone :smile: Sorry if there are any spelling/grammer mistakes, my eyes are blurry so I'll fix in the morning. Oh and sorry for the very long post. I should probs stop typing now because I'm just making it longer...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have the grades you need then don't put yourself under unneccessary pressure so I would say don't crash higher anything.The advanced higher cancels out the higher (ucas points wise) so do ahvanced higher that you are confident you can get a good mark in. If you did AH chemistry, then you'd have a project to do along with the biology project and the MASSIVE folio for art as well. But hopefully you won't have to stay at school and someone drops out. :hugs:
Reply 2
Yes, thats what I was thinking. And I don;t particularly fancy the likes of AH Chemistry, the higher almost killed me! I don't really need to worry about UCAS points though.
And thank you! :hugs: :smile:
offtopic/ What is the point of doing an AH that you didn't do well in at Higher? :indiff: Why would a uni expect you to do AH Chemistry, say, if you scraped a pass at Higher, but since it doesn't count if you do an AH in a subject you got an A in at Higher, you'd have to choose another AH to make up for it?!
Reply 4
i think you should do AH Chemistry or crash higher physics. you must be reasonably good at chemistry if you got an A.

if you change your mind on nursing then these subjects would be good for science university courses. and if you want to do art you have Bs in english and modern studies so that should be fine too.
Reply 5
ArcadiaHouse
offtopic/ What is the point of doing an AH that you didn't do well in at Higher? :indiff: Why would a uni expect you to do AH Chemistry, say, if you scraped a pass at Higher, but since it doesn't count if you do an AH in a subject you got an A in at Higher, you'd have to choose another AH to make up for it?!

Are you meaning AH Chemsitry? I got an A for Higher Chemistry :s-smilie:

Edit: Sorry, your comment has really confused me.
So if I took AH Cemistry my A would be canciled out if I did crap at it?
And does this follow for my Biology and Art? Because I got As in them too.
I got Bs in English and Modern Studies. Would I be better to do AHs in them?
Reply 6
ArcadiaHouse

ermm?? :confused:
Reply 7
Dado Prso
i think you should do AH Chemistry or crash higher physics. you must be reasonably good at chemistry if you got an A.

if you change your mind on nursing then these subjects would be good for science university courses. and if you want to do art you have Bs in english and modern studies so that should be fine too.

Yes, I considered Physics. Its a subject I'd love to take, I'm just not sure if its worth the crash? However I will definately not rule it out.
Kirsteneg
ermm?? :confused:

Sorry I'm very tired, I confused myself in that post, what I mean is that the AH cancels out the Higher :smile: For example, on the Edinburgh uni website it says something like "The AH cancels out the Higher blah blah, however it would be more beneficial if the candidate were to do the AH in which they got a C in at Higher." Wtf?!
Reply 9
ArcadiaHouse
Sorry I'm very tired, I confused myself in that post, what I mean is that the AH cancels out the Higher :smile: For example, on the Edinburgh uni website it says something like "The AH cancels out the Higher blah blah, however it would be more beneficial if the candidate were to do the AH in which they got a C in at Higher." Wtf?!

:eek: Really?! Im not sure I want to do any Advanced Highers now... :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 10
xo-Heva
Yes, I considered Physics. Its a subject I'd love to take, I'm just not sure if its worth the crash? However I will definitely not rule it out.

I would definetely give it further consideration. It's a good course which isn't too difficult and some chemistry comes into unit 3 as well.
Reply 11
I'd give AH Modern Studies some consideration. But is there any point in doing three advanced highers if I don't need any? :erm:
Reply 12
xo-Heva
I'd give AH Modern Studies some consideration. But is there any point in doing three advanced highers if I don't need any? :erm:

I'd say Higher mod studs. If you did 3 AH then you'd have biology investigation, art folio and mod studs dissertation to stress about and it's not worth it in my opinion. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Kirsteneg
I'd say Higher mod studs. If you did 3 AH then you'd have biology investigation, art folio and mod studs dissertation to stress about and it's not worth it in my opinion. :biggrin:

I've already done Higher Modern Studies tho :p:
Reply 14
xo-Heva
I've already done Higher Modern Studies tho :p:

Oh dear. I was thinking of another thread. :eek3: Eh, anyway, do you mean another higher on top of maths, AH biology, AH art? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Kirsteneg
Oh dear. I was thinking of another thread. :eek3: Eh, anyway, do you mean another higher on top of maths, AH biology, AH art? :biggrin:

Yes, my options are:

Another higher (my fourth subject).

An AH, and drop maths.

Or I could possibly do the ECDL if there are any spaces left.
Reply 16
xo-Heva
Yes, my options are:

Another higher (my fourth subject).

An AH, and drop maths.

Or I could possibly do the ECDL if there are any spaces left.

So you can't just do 2 AH and 1 higher?
Reply 17
Kirsteneg
So you can't just do 2 AH and 1 higher?

That would be perfect tbh. But my school won't allow it for some strange reason. You have to take 4 subjects unless you're taking 3 advanced highers in which case you're not allowed a fourth. The only way I could do it would be start a fourth higher and drop it near christmas if 'the work load was too much.' But I wouldn't want to drop something I've put work into :p:
Reply 18
xo-Heva
That would be perfect tbh. But my school won't allow it for some strange reason. You have to take 4 subjects unless you're taking 3 advanced highers in which case you're not allowed a fourth. The only way I could do it would be start a fourth higher and drop it near christmas if 'the work load was too much.' But I wouldn't want to drop something I've put work into :p:

That sucks! What about an Int 2? :p: AH English instead of maths? Can you play any musical instruments? Or Higher RMPS?
Reply 19
Kirsteneg
That sucks! What about an Int 2? :p: AH English instead of maths? Can you play any musical instruments? Or Higher RMPS?

I'd consider an Int2 actually. Hospitality :p: That was good fun.
Is AH English not horrible hard? I found the Higher rather challenging.
Nope, no instruments. I wish I could, I'm trying to find someone to teach me guitar atm :biggrin:
RMPS doesn't fit into my coloums.

Latest

Trending

Trending