The Student Room Group

Japan is a first world country with a third world, victim mentality

I may be speaking a drivel, but from my observations, I have concluded that while Japan is one of the wealthiest, most developed countries in the world, many Japanese people don't see it that way, and many Japanese people feel that they are hard done by for some reason, and that foreigners like Americans, British, French, etc, have much better standards of living, have much more money, and just generally have life much better than the average Japanese person.

This for the most part is nonsense, and many international surveys put the Japanese standard of living as being as high as the wealthy Western nations, if not higher, but many Japanese I have spoken to seem to have this desire to live in the West, mainly the USA, UK or Australia and they definately have a "the grass is greener on the other side" mentality.

While in the West, many of the younger generation are resonably satisfied with their standard of living, Japanese youth seem to be desparate to live abroad, and often their parents frequently send their kids to school in places like the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, etc. Of course, one of the primary motives is to improve their English, but also I believe that their parents and them are genuinely convinced that the grass is greener on the other side, that their child will receive a better education in the West, and that their standard of living and quality of life will be better as a result of living in the West.

Actually, I think the amount of Japanese students there are in Western countries is a prime example of their 3rd world mentality. Usually students going abroad to study for a long period of time is usually people from poorer countries where in going abroad they genuinely will receive a better educationa and standard of living. For example, you wouldn't get a British family send there kid to school in Australia for their entire education. It would be pointless. Yet Japanese do it quite often, simply because they believe life is better.

I think Japan is a great country, but they definately seem to take for granted just how wealthy and developed they are. Many Japanese seem to be under the illusion that they live in a poor country which the West looks down on.

Scroll to see replies

Did you copy and paste that?

Perhaps the truth is that the relatively high pressure some salarymen find themselves under, and a workaholic national culture is partly to blame for the disenfranchisement some Japanese people feel. Not to mention the issue of World War II.

Of course, Western cultural imports are also to blame for some of the cultural issues you speak of.

Nonetheless, you are pretty much exaggerating when you claim it has a victim mentality. If you want a look at a massive victim mentality, go to Israel and Palestine :dontknow:
Reply 2
Liquidus Zeromus
Did you copy and paste that?

No.
burninginme
No.

Your tone says yes. You found a random article and pasted it here.
Reply 4
I think the young want to move abroad to escape the pressure put on them academically and socially.
The west is much more liberal in it's values and the students may yearn that.
Reply 6
Liquidus Zeromus
Your tone says yes. You found a random article and pasted it here.

I did actually write that, copy/paste it into any search engine and I can assure you, you will find nothing, as it didn't exist until 5 minutes ago.

What is your problem anyway? Do you not like the fact that there is so much strange about the Japanese mentality that one can quite fire off an essay about it?
burninginme
I may be speaking a drivel but from my observations, I have concluded that while Japan is one of the wealthiest, most developed countries in the world, many Japanese people don't see it that way, and many Japanese people feel that they are hard done by for some reason, and that foreigners like Americans, British, French, etc, have much better standards of living, have much more money, and just generally have life much better than the average Japanese person.

This for the most part is nonsense, and many international surveys put the Japanese standard of living as being as high as the wealthy Western nations, if not higher, but many Japanese I have spoken to seem to have this desire to live in the West, mainly the USA, UK or Australia and they definitely have a "the grass is greener on the other side" mentality.

While in the West, many of the younger generation are resonably satisfied with their standard of living, Japanese youth seem to be desparate to live abroad, and often their parents frequently send their kids to school in places like the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, etc. Of course, one of the primary motives is to improve their English, but also I believe that their parents and them are genuinely convinced that the grass is greener on the other side, that their child will receive a better education in the West, and that their standard of living and quality of life will be better as a result of living in the West.

Actually, I think the amount of Japanese students there are in Western countries is a prime example of their 3rd world mentality. Usually students going abroad to study for a long period of time is usually people from poorer countries where in going abroad they genuinely will receive a better educationa and standard of living. For example, you wouldn't get a British family send there kid to school in Australia for their entire education. It would be pointless. Yet Japanese do it quite often, simply because they believe life is better.

I think Japan is a great country, but they definitely seem to take for granted just how wealthy and developed they are. Many Japanese seem to be under the illusion that they live in a poor country which the West looks down on.

Highlighted everything in your post that is absolute bollocks.

You seem to share a passion for academia in Japan yet simply don't know how to discuss it or present a convincing argument. In short you lack any basic, literary knowledge and are basing your assumptions on some vague observations and 'discussions' you've had with Japanese people.

All hope would be lost, but then again, Ruth Benedict made a name for herself in Japanese academia.
ibs137

Hahaha. That really is mild to some of the stuff you can find over here. :smile:

edit: I'm not sure if I should hope if the squid should be dead or not. LOL
Reply 9
You'd feel like a bit of a victim if you had two nuclear bombs dropped on you.
I think asians are just a bit obsessed with the west and see it through the eyes of hollywood/MTV and think it's all like that.

europe, america and australia are the best countries to live in.
The Japanese work long hours, and hence have a worse quality of life than the Western advanced economies.

I admire the Japanese though. They are an economic superpower due to their hard work ethic, so in that sense i like them.
Reply 12
burninginme
I may be speaking a drivel, but from my observations

Are you living in Japan?
Reply 13
burninginme I wasn't aware you lived in Japan, where did this vast insight come from? :p:

You'll find this is the case throughout the world. In some ways the Japanese can justify moving abroad for education, as it is better abroad at least at university level. Granted they do have a few world class institutions but not as many as in the UK or the USA. This isn't my experience anyway, I went to a private school (with quite a few foreign students) and the majority were from China. Same at university, almost half my class is from China yet only 4 students out of around 180 are from Japan.

Japanese people come to the UK for the same reason people in the UK go to America - better opportunities. There is an unjustified belief that the grass is greener too. I don't recon its as frequent as you seem to think though. There are far more Chinese & European migrants.
guy_incognito
Highlighted everything in your post that is absolute bollocks.

You seem to share a passion for academia in Japan yet simply don't know how to discuss it or present a convincing argument. In short you lack any basic, literary knowledge and are basing your assumptions on some vague observations and 'discussions' you've had with Japanese people.

All hope would be lost, but then again, Ruth Benedict made a name for herself in Japanese academia.

yeah, you made a much better argument...
Reply 15
Prepare for 100 anime fanboys to invade this thread chanting "omgz u hatin on jpn!"
Ewan

You'll find this is the case throughout the world. In some ways the Japanese can justify moving abroad for education, as it is better abroad at least at university level. Granted they do have a few world class institutions but not as many as in the UK or the USA. This isn't my experience anyway, I went to a private school (with quite a few foreign students) and the majority were from China. Same at university, almost half my class is from China yet only 4 students out of around 180 are from Japan.

I think some it all boils down to language ability though. Most Japanese can't speak English well enough. Then there is the cost of UK education, which isn't exactly cheap for most families in Japan.

Japanese people come to the UK for the same reason people in the UK go to America - better opportunities. There is an unjustified belief that the grass is greener too.

One of my mates is dating a Japanese girl. He wants to live in Tokyo, but she wants to live in the UK. :colonhash:
Reply 17
burninginme
I may be speaking a drivel

Yes. We could stop there, but since you went on..

burninginme

Where are you even getting this from?? Do you know anything about Japanese culture? I'm not saying i'm any kind of expert on the matter, but i at least know that it is one the most competitive and motivated places in the world in terms of achievement in academics, with a very strong work ethis, along with being one of the most densely populated countries in the world; competition is very hard, perhaps you could consider that a few years abroad gives a child an extra boost in their applications for jobs which are few and far between in these climates

burninginme

Ok, you just said that the main reason they may send their kids here is to learn english, fortunately we already speak "australian", as they speak english. So yes, that would be pointless. Well done.
Also, i don't quite think you mean third world. Third world people don't go to study abroad, or do you have a lot of starving africans in your classes?
And why are you now deciding that they send their kids abroad "simply because life is better"?

burninginme
I think Japan is a great country, but they definitely seem to take for granted just how wealthy and developed they are. Many Japanese seem to be under the illusion that they live in a poor country which the West looks down on.

Ok, i still don't know where you're getting this from, but shockingly, Japan is rather patriotic, they have been fighting the influence of the western world for years, for a lot of Japanese, it has been forced upon them unwillingly.
And we dropped nukes on them.
You can understand why they'd dislike us, I'm sure many english people have irrational hatred of germans for example.
But quite frankly it's horrendously arrogant of you to assume that they're just jealous of us.

Also, the only reason you seem to have for this argument is that some japanese people study abroad???????
Reply 18
I think its fair to say that about all countries mind, including the UK. There's lots of us here who dream of moving abroad and I hear people complain about how they want to get out of this country as soon as they can on a regular basis. The grass is greener mentality is just something we all have really.
Reply 19
I don't really think this is true.
Or, my Japanese friends don't seem to feel this way. It's interesting you should say that, I might ask them about this on Monday - but they will probably look at me weirdly then laugh.

As far as I am aware, they are only here to learn English as fluently as possible, for the sake of opening opportunities in their future careers or studies in Japan. One of them hopes to become a psychologist and he believes learning English is vital for his studies because the subject is only well-founded in English speaking countries. Or at least, that's what he told me. Another wishes to be a Museum Curator, a very highly competitive field - he told me that 98% (I might have remembered that wrong, but it was high) fail the exams required. I think English will help him. Another wants to be an interior designer... but, I don't know what that has to do with this, hm, I'll stop there.

Latest

Trending

Trending