The Student Room Group
In Soviet Russia, Russia stays in you.
Reply 2
Where in russia are you staying?
Hmmm, I'm going to be starting almost the same degree this year as well, but I think ours is done completely differently, plus I'm not really fussed about a lot of that stuff. Maybe I will be when the time comes, but I'm subscribing to this thread for possible pertinent info
Reply 4
Being vegetarian might be a bit annoying but they'll work around you. The food will be crap whether you're vegetarian or not anyway. You should be able to get a multi entry visa, we all did. I think they're harder to get from the UK so usually you just get the multi entry one when you're already there. Where are you going to be living?
Reply 5
Lizia
I don't think the Russians are particularly big meat eaters anyway. Certainly, when I've been there, I've had no problem finding vegetarian alternatives in restaurants, and the few Russians I do know don't eat as much meat as I do. You aren't obliged to eat with a family during a homestay, especially not if you have your own dietary requirements. In fact, it's polite to cook for them fairly regularly, and then you can cook whatever you like. Worst case scenario is that you buy your own food and eat separately, surely?

As for a homestay, there's no reason you can't have the odd friend to stay, provided you're reasonable about it and don't take the piss.

Hey, thanks for your input. I'm a little weary because when I went on exchange to Germany they were told I'm vegetarian but kept trying to give me chicken and it just got a little awkward. I'm sure I can get round it though. And on the friend front, I wouldn't want someone round every week or anything. It would mainly be if my boyfriend came out to stay for a week or so. Although thinking about it I guess I could just book into his hotel if it came to it.

Thanks.
Reply 6
I thought Russians ate a fair amount of meat. Well, what they call meat.

ali_bath
I'm gonna be in one of - Moscow, St Petersburg, Tver, Petrozavodsk, Yaroslavl or Volgograd. Yeah it says on the RLUS website that you should be able to get a multi-entry visa when you get there but they can't guarentee it. I'm starting to calm down now. It's just turning out to be very different to how I thought and I'm very good at panicking.

Littleshambles - where are you going..and what's the course? If you don't mind me asking.

Oh, I went with RLUS too. You'll get the visa fine then. Unfortunately Roy Bivon, the guy who runs RLUS, is very incompetent and horrible to work with. I went to Yaroslavl, by the way. The course there is pretty good and the teachers are lovely. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about it.
Reply 7
cmon if they offer you meat just eat it and stop being awkard, its the least you can do after they are letting you live in there home.
ali_bath
I'm gonna be in one of - Moscow, St Petersburg, Tver, Petrozavodsk, Yaroslavl or Volgograd. Yeah it says on the RLUS website that you should be able to get a multi-entry visa when you get there but they can't guarentee it. I'm starting to calm down now. It's just turning out to be very different to how I thought and I'm very good at panicking.

Littleshambles - where are you going..and what's the course? If you don't mind me asking.

UCL ESPS, Russian major language
Reply 9
scotttb
cmon if they offer you meat just eat it and stop being awkard, its the least you can do after they are letting you live in there home.

Some people have allergies to meat or don't eat it for religious reasons so don't accuse awkwardness. I will be paying to live in their home, not just staying with them. It's about £80 a week by the looks of the website.
Reply 10
littleshambles
UCL ESPS, Russian major language

Ahh yes, that is a very similar course. Would've applied if I'd got the grades :o:
Reply 11
tbtommyb
I thought Russians ate a fair amount of meat. Well, what they call meat.

Oh, I went with RLUS too. You'll get the visa fine then. Unfortunately Roy Bivon, the guy who runs RLUS, is very incompetent and horrible to work with. I went to Yaroslavl, by the way. The course there is pretty good and the teachers are lovely. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about it.

That's cool. Which UK Uni were/are you at? And what does the course in Yaroslavl actually involve? Is it just russian language or is there history/politics/literature/culture involved too? Did you live in a homestay or halls? Just an overview of your experience would be really good.

Thanks
ali_bath
Ok, so I'm due to start a degree in European Studies and Russian at Manchester this September and would have a year abroad in Russia in my third year.

Stupidly, I didn't really read into the year abroad that much before I applied but have spent the morning doing so and this is what I've found out..

1. The girl who's written about it on the Manchester website really didn't seem to have a good time at all and actually changed it to spend the second half of the year in france.

2. It seems like it's mainly Homestay accommodation not halls and this sucks on the basis that I'm vegetarian (would have to eat with a family that would most probably eat a lot of meat) and I wouldn't be able to have anyone (ie. my boyfriend) come to visit.

3. They can't guarentee that you will be able to get a multi-enty visa, meaning that you may have to stay in Russia right from early september to june. Not being able to come home for christmas or easter.

Has anyone been to Russia on a year abroad who can tell me a bit more about it because at the moment I am in a complete panic about the whole situation.

Speak to thatwhichiam - she is at Manchester University and spent her year abroad (this year) in Russia :smile:
Reply 13
discombobulation
Speak to thatwhichiam - she is at Manchester University and spent her year abroad (this year) in Russia :smile:

Ooh thanks, I'll PM her :smile:
Reply 14
ali_bath
That's cool. Which UK Uni were/are you at? And what does the course in Yaroslavl actually involve? Is it just russian language or is there history/politics/literature/culture involved too? Did you live in a homestay or halls? Just an overview of your experience would be really good.

Thanks

I'm at Oxford, and on the ab initio course you have to go and do the course in Yaroslavl in your second year. The course was about four hours a day, of grammar, conversation, newspaper and literature, although that was only for Oxford - you'll have analytical reading instead. You cover politics and history and stuff through the other classes, and sometimes they get lecturers and stuff to come and talk. You do learn a lot with them and the teachers are all lovely. I lived in a homestay, I don't there's an option to live in halls in Yaroslavl. My landlady was really great and we got on really well, but obviously it's mostly down to chance. Some people moved because they didn't like their landladies but it's easy to do.

Em, well I didn't really like it at first because I didn't really want to do Russian and missed people, but once you realise that you'd better get used to it things get much better. The good thing about Yaroslavl is that it's pretty small and there aren't that many foreigners, so you're a bit of a novelty - we were in the paper about five times. People are very keen to talk to you in bars and clubs as well, so if you want to you can easily make friends. I don't think it's the same so much in Moscow and St Petersburg. The weather doesn't properly bad until mid-December really (so if you do go home at Christmas don't bother bringing the winter stuff until after the break), then it's horrifically cold for about two months (though fun and very beautiful), there's a weird transition stage for a month or two and then from May onwards it's lovely weather. Yaroslavl is pretty well placed to get to anywhere, since Moscow is 4 hours away and there's a direct sleeper train to St Petersburg. It's also one of the stops on the Trans-Siberian if you fancy that. The best bit for me was when we used a reading week to go on a cruise down the Volga to Volgagrad (formerly Stalingrad). We stopped at a different town each day and the scenery on the river was beautiful. So if you get the chance, really do that!

Latest

Trending

Trending