The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Modular Higher

Afternoon all,

Just to introduce myself, I'm Nathan and only just registered to this forum.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the overall score / mark for the GCSE Maths Higher Modular exams with Edexcel.

I heard it was 400 overall marks from my maths teacher, but didn't quite understand how they got 400.

Basically I'm pretty worried about my results because the first modular exam I took I got 61/80 = B, sadly only 4 marks away from an A, and then in the second 2 papers, I recieved 42/60 = B, and 36/60 = C, I re-took this in June.

And then for the final two exams I feel that the non - calcualor exam went not as well as the calculator one did.

So does anyone know how the examiners total everything up?

I really need this B in maths, so I can go on to do A- Level Maths, and then progress to the R.A.F.

So if anyone can help at all, it will really be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
they dont add it up like that, that is called the raw score, they add them up using the uniform mark score. dont worry :wink:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.

OK, so does anyone know how they add them up?:confused:

I'm just really worried... so if anyone can help, it will be really appreciated.

Is the overall score/marks actually out of 400 or different.

I know that 280/400 is a grade B - so does anyone know how the sections are done.

I know the first exam was 5381H - I got 61/80 - B
5382H - I got 42/60 - B
5383H - I got 36/60 - C ( this was retaken in june to try and get a grade B.

So are the final two exams out of 200, or are they both out of 60 = 120 and the examiners add on an extra 80?, I haven't got a clue as you can see.

Thanks for any help:smile:
Reply 3
The exams you just took this summer is like 55% of your overalll grade so I wouldn't worry too much about that C, especially as you re-took it.

Basically, if you think the exams this summer went ok then you should get your B :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies.

I'm still worrying, mostly about the final out of 200 score, because my non-calculator went not so good, and my Calculator went better.

Do they actually score it out of 200, or is it they add both scores e.g. 64/100 + 79/100?

And will they change the grade boundaries, I heard edexcel didn't really change their boundaries that much.

If I worked everything out correctly for my overall score, I need around 140+/200 do get my overall Maths grade B, but thats the main reason I am worrying because, all my mates were taking about the answers from the non calculator exam after, and I was getting any of their answers:frown:

So to me I feel I have bodged up, does anyone actually know how the examiners will get the final score? Like how much percentage wise do you need to get a 'B', is it e.g. 60% on each paper or is it e.g. 60% on both papers...please help

sorry for all the repition I am asking, I'm just really worried.

Thanks all
Reply 5
Grade boundaries are simply an overall /whatever

I think at GCSE it is only A* that has special requirements and that is only in some subjects like Geography; Math is just a raw score.

At A Level you need to average 80% in all (the old requirement for an A) and get 90% in all of the A2 exams (the harder ones)

Latest