The Student Room Group

What to wear on cinema date?

Ok so got a big important date coming up and need soemthign really great to wear. Don't mind buying somethign new.
Any tips? I don't wanna look too casula so no jeans suggestions please but I also dont wanna look too dressy so no heels.

I rllllly need advice. I never know what to wear to the cinema!

If you have pics of your suggestions that would rlly help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know you said no jeans but black jeans can look pretty good and can be dressed up without looking like you made too much of an effort. Wear it with a pretty top/blouse and some cute accessories.

Or if you really don't wanna wear jeans then a nice high waisted skirt (something floral would be nice and summery) paired with a simple tank top in a colour that goes so still doesn't look like you tried too hard. Top it off with a nice belt to accentuate your waist if you have a slim waistline or hour glass figure or something..

Last cinema date I went to (about a week ago!) I wore a black fitted v neck (enough to show off a bit of cleavage but not too low) and an almost to the knee dark grey skirt with a black paisley print on it. Paired with flats and some silvery jewellery.. looked pretty good imo so you could try something like that?

Or if its your thing a denim dress could be pretty nice..

Tell us more about you though.. Whats your style usually like? Your best feature etc? And is this a day time cinema date or evening one? Will you be going for dinner anywhere after?

Hope I helped give you some ideas though.. And good luck with it!
Reply 2
Wear what your most comfortable in. For example I'd wear a cute tea dress, a waist belt, a cardigan, flats and a few pieces of jewellery that I really love.
Reply 3
yeah I like lucky star's advice about the high waist dress!! I wore a print dress with a tight tank top once...

Another option is to wear a one piece dress (monotone or prints...) with flip flops and etc, dresses are my all time favorite... I like to put on something not too casual so it will look like the date is quite important to me...

Depends really on what impression you wanna make,Lucky star's black top with jeans is a great way to make you look a little bit more grownup and sexy:smile:
Dresses (depends on which kind) on the whole makes you look a little more fun and happy (?). It's also a great way to conceal body imperfections as well (if you have any. Like me dresses tends to hide my tummy a bit more)

You could also wear tanktop with denim shorts and some chunky accessories, but then personally i think it's a bit too casual!!:smile:

Yeah I hope this helps!
(Oh and the last time I went on a super super important date Iwore silver gladiators, black shorts, white and black tight print top (low cut:P ), black sweater (just in case really), and a red leather handbag. It was a group date and i was hanging out with a bunch of guys.....
lucky star

Tell us more about you though.. Whats your style usually like? Your best feature etc? And is this a day time cinema date or evening one? Will you be going for dinner anywhere after?

I rlly like your suggestion. I have an hourglass figure but i'm rlly small (5"1). I usually dress kinda quirky and fun but I recently dyed my hair dark dark brown so i'm scared of looking rlly gothy in everythign I wear :wink:
Most people dress casually to the cinema so whatever you do dont go for a really sexy dress that you might go to a party in because you'll end up feeling really uncomfotable. Apart from that go in whatever you're comfortable with. Dress in your usual style but do make an effort. I know you said no jeans but black skinnys with a cute top/quirky blouse looks really good. If you go for a dress go for a laid back flirty dress. Maybe a cute skirt and top combo - not too short a skirt though dont go slutty to the cinema, not a good look.
Reply 6
ummmmm.....clothes ?
*Honey*Bear*
Apart from that go in whatever you're comfortable with. Dress in your usual style but do make an effort. I know you said no jeans but black skinnys with a cute top/quirky blouse looks really good.

My legs are short and hips quite wide so skinny jeans never actually fot me properly.

what about leggings?? what are peoples feeling on those?
Reply 8
cocoabuttergirl
I rlly like your suggestion. I have an hourglass figure but i'm rlly small (5"1). I usually dress kinda quirky and fun but I recently dyed my hair dark dark brown so i'm scared of looking rlly gothy in everythign I wear :wink:

Wow we sound pretty similar then! Even I'm 5''1, have an hourglass figure and my hair's naturally dark brown..

Okay I personally love high waisted skirts cos they not only look pretty stylish when dressed right but also make my legs look longer (always a bonus!) or you could try some chic shorts but in a black satin-y material maybe so they look less casual?

I'm having a look online right now and will post you some links when i find something okay? :smile:
Reply 9
Ooh just another thought, what about a cowl neck top? Depending on your colouring a nude or dark beige or possible pale salmon pink ish cowl neck could suit you pretty well. They look effortlessly stylisha nd sexy imo so have a think about that too?
lucky star
Wow we sound pretty similar then! Even I'm 5''1, have an hourglass figure and my hair's naturally dark brown..

Okay I personally love high waisted skirts cos they not only look pretty stylish when dressed right but also make my legs look longer (always a bonus!) or you could try some chic shorts but in a black satin-y material maybe so they look less casual?

I'm having a look online right now and will post you some links when i find something okay? :smile:

Sounds great! Please bear in mind that I dont have the greatest legs so things that could be worn with black tights or skirts that arent realllly short would be a bonus!
Reply 11
wear a short skirt for easy access when ur sitting in the back rows
Reply 12
Barz
wear a short skirt for easy access when ur sitting in the back rows

:rofl:

Op a nice casual dress and leggins/tights/bare legs and flat shoes would look lovely.
cocoabuttergirl
Sounds great! Please bear in mind that I dont have the greatest legs so things that could be worn with black tights or skirts that arent realllly short would be a bonus!

Okay how about a dress like this? You could emphasis your figure and waist with an interesting belt but its the kind of shape so it won't cling to your legs and thighs and such. Would look great with black tights (black tights usually make your legs look slimmer too) and flats. Then you can dress it up with a variety of accessories since its such a neutral colour. I'm thinking rusty burnt orange and dull gold accessories/ jewellery maybe?

http://www.asos.com/Vila/Vila-Cowl-Neck-Pocket-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=698062&SearchQuery=cowl%20neck&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Grey

OR this is a top I've had my eyes on for a while:

http://www.asos.com/Oasis/Oasis-Origami-Ruffle-Detail-Top/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=739031&cid=4169&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Pewter

with those satin-y black shorts (not short shorts though) that i mentioned and with black opaque tights. Or you could pair it with a nice skirt too..

OR I often think that this sort of pale pink can look very feminine and flirty:

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Drape-Front-Scoop-Neck-Top/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=668989&cid=4169&Rf-200=9&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Nude
Don't try too hard, it's just a cinema date. I went to the cinema on a date last week and I wore indigo skinny jeans, brown cowboy boots, a white vest top with a yellow and red checked shirt over it.
calm down its only the cinema, btw wear your birthday suit
truthandtragedy
Don't try too hard, it's just a cinema date. I went to the cinema on a date last week and I wore indigo skinny jeans, brown cowboy boots, a white vest top with a yellow and red checked shirt over it.

off topic: do you have hair extensions?
Reply 17
Really, really, do NOT try too hard to go to the cinema, you'll end up looking like a ****. Just wear what you would normally wear to the cinema if you were going with mates (whatever that may be), with more accessories and make-up. Sorted.
Reply 19
A high waisted skirt will make it harder for the guy to put his hands down your knickers. That is unless you hike your legs up :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest