The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

T kay
But surely there's people at medical school now who were 50-50 between medicine and something else and have ended up loving medical school.

(I think I'm the most confused being on the planet :confused:)

Yep, I know people who are med students and are not convinced. Myself included.

I did lots of work experience, gap year, worked in hosp, met lots of Drs etc but that didn't really make me that much clearer. Medicine seemed like the best option really.
Reply 41
No Future
Yes, yes, yes :smile:
I was under the impression that this was the ''art'' of medicine, but I think this stuff just boils down to experience

Don't be put off but ''the doubters''. A lot of people don't seem to understand that some people can be both good at and interested in science AND art. Too science-centric methinks. Need to look at the bigger picture, pun intended...Just because someone else is an all-science type, it certainly does not mean they are going into medicine ''for the right reasons'' (whatever those are) or will make a better doctor, or whatever. I know some sciency people who are doing medicine without any particular desire or care to understand (one girl didn't know what the GMC was...) and will pass and whatnot and become drs. Everyone is different and each to their own...

Oh and most med students are not science geeks either!!

Thanks for that :smile:. I found it really reassuring.

I'm increasingly becoming motivated to apply for medicine.
billykwok
Why don't you apply for english literature then....?

Erm, because the OP mentions he has an interest in becoming a doctor and might want to take that further? Not mutually exclusive
Reply 43
No Future
Yep, I know people who are med students and are not convinced. Myself included.

I did lots of work experience, gap year, worked in hosp, met lots of Drs etc but that didn't really make me that much clearer. Medicine seemed like the best option really.

Exactly like me. You're the female version of me!
T kay
Exactly like me. You're the female version of me!

Ha ha. Oh you're interested in history? Oh no, you can't be a doctor! Hmm, you did slightly better in one English exam than bio...therefore you are not a science person...erm WTF? Why don't you do history/Eng lit/law?...you are clearly good at these subjects!
Erm, because I don't want to?? LOL
Having an interest in is not the same thing as wanting to have a career/working life/vocation etc
Reply 45
No Future
Ha ha. Oh you're interested in history? Oh no, you can't be a doctor! Hmm, you did slightly better in one English exam than bio...therefore you are not a science person...erm WTF? Why don't you do history/Eng lit/law?...you are clearly good at these subjects!
Erm, because I don't want to?? LOL
Having an interest in is not the same thing as wanting to have a career/working life/vocation etc

:lol:

Exactly :yep:
T kay
:lol:

Exactly :yep:

Should look beyond bio/chem textbooks methinks...

As Eliot noted: ''the most perfect interchange between science and art...the most alliance between intellectual conquest and the social good''

Even Kekule's dream/discovering the truth...and he was a bloody chemist!!
Reply 47
No Future
Should look beyond bio/chem textbooks methinks...

As Eliot noted: ''the most perfect interchange between science and art...the most alliance between intellectual conquest and the social good''

Even Kekule's dream/discovering the truth...and he was a bloody chemist!!

That's a nice quote. Might use it in a PS if I decide to apply :smile:
Reply 48
No Future
Do you even know how much Drs earn at different grades, how much and how many years of study and training (far beyond 5-6yrs uni) go into it? The social/relationship/family compromise/sacrifice?

i know i'm just commenting on that you get to 30-35 and you're pretty much guaranteed a six figure salary.
you want the money/job/status, you take the sacrifces
i know i'm just commenting on that you get to 30-35 and you're pretty much guaranteed a six figure salary.

erm, nope!

aged 30, say registrar, real life example 37k...that's maybe 7 years after graduation...
you'd be very lucky to become a consultant before late 30s/early 40s.
and check consultant pay banding, 70kish+
more if you're a director or something
not a quick route to a high salary

if you want money, you go into business/finance/''venture capitalism'' or medicine in the US where more tests and consultations and more illness = more $$$$
Reply 50

Most of those figures will come from people who are directors or partners in another business - eg GPs with a attached pharmacy or people acting as 'medical consultants' to something or other....your bog average reg will have a bog average salary.
Reply 51
No Future
erm, nope!

aged 30, say registrar, real life example 37k...that's maybe 7 years after graduation...
you'd be very lucky to become a consultant before late 30s/early 40s.
and check consultant pay banding, 70kish+
more if you're a director or something
not a quick route to a high salary

if you want money, you go into business/finance/''venture capitalism'' or medicine in the US where more tests and consultations and more illness = more $$$$

you can be a GP at early 30s, thats like 100k for like 30 hours a week
Reply 52

No, most GPs are open 8-4, thats 8hrs, 5 days a week, sometimes saturdays too for family planning clinics - so thats at least 40 hrs a week, not to mention the mountain of paperwork having thousands of patients on your books creates. Each partner also has to take a part in general admin - quite apart from medical admin, and then depending on the size of the practice, there will be weekends on call for home visites. Not including the patients who are on the LCP/dying at home that they gave their mobile number to.

Oh and did I mention organising hospital visites, teaching students, having a life and raising a family? Oh and if you come across anyone in your catchment area in difficulty, whether they're on your books or not, you are legally obliged to stop and help. Then if you have any seconds left in your life, you still need to read a couple of journals, write some reports of interesting cases and hold MDT meetings.

All for about 70K. The ones on 100K+ are rare - and they run a pharmacy on the side - requiring more effort, more qualifications, employing more but then you would be making a little bit mroe as well if you had another business on the side.

So no, not cushy at all. Without GPs, the NHS would collasp within weeks.
Reply 53

I think it's best you stop posting here. Come back when you're more well informed.

Latest

Trending

Trending