The Student Room Group

Did you lie in your personal statement?

Most people I know exaggerated in their personal statements and were insincere. One friend told me that he wrote a load of crap and just wants to go university in hope of getting a high salary.

How many of you were insincere when writing your statements and were you asked questions about it in your interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I definitely didn't lie in mine, but I don't remember what I DID write because I typed it up in 20 minutes.
No lies, no exaggerations. No need to.
Reply 3
Nope, I didn't lie/exaggerate.
i know someone who did, got all offers lol
people who lie get caught, its not worth it

i didn't lie, or exaggerate, i have to look at it to make sure was a while ago :p:
i think i wrote "i do a lot of extracurricluar reading"

yeah, if you count Heat magazine.....
:rofl2:
Reply 7
Didn't lie, just rambled on for ages.
Reply 8
But won't you be found out if you do??:confused:
Reply 9
No lying for me. I'm a good boy. :smile:
Nope I didn't. Will find out soon weather or not it will pay off.
cpj1987
I definitely didn't lie in mine, but I don't remember what I DID write because I typed it up in 20 minutes.

whoa!
im still writing mine after about a month :p:
RollerBall
Nope I didn't. Will find out soon weather or not it will pay off.

With spelling like that, I wouldn't get your hopes up!

I'm just kidding!
Reply 13
Buster_Bunny
whoa!
im still writing mine after about a month

I wish I had spent a little more time on it, at least saving it into a Word file rather than putting it straight into UCAS; not for the sake of spending longer writing it (I think the best writing happens on the spur of the moment, without thought), but I'd LOVE to be able to look back on (or remember) what even a sentence of it said!
said i read new scientist. but coz my course dint hav an interview...i didnt really mind that i put that down.

still havent read an article
Reply 15
Unless I apply to Oxbridge and therefore have a chance of getting interviewed, I will definitely bend the truth in my personal statement.
Reply 16
I knew that I would be interviewed and pulled up on parts of my PS so lying in it would just be incredibly stupid... so no, I didn't lie.
Reply 17
I didn't lie but i'm not denying that i wanted to be perceived as an enthusiast. I exaggerated a little but i got offers from every university that i applied for. At one of my interviews the guy pulled out my personal statement and began questioning on what i had written.

Interviewer: "It says here that you yada yada yada can you elaborate on that?"
Reply 18
Like most didnt need to, I would prob get too nervous in interviews if I did, and just end up messing up.
Just finished mine, have to wait until get back to sixth form, before I can get any real opinion on it.
Reply 19
Cora150892
Just finished mine, have to wait until get back to sixth form, before I can get any real opinion on it.

You don't have to wait :p: TSR runs a PS review service where current uni students and grads take a look and make suggestions for improvement. Check it out: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=134&a=89. We provide a lot more honest and up-to-date advice than most sixth form teachers seem to manage :biggrin:

And I exaggerated minor points in my PS as far as I remember, but made very sure that the key things (like bits of the subject I was interested in and had read most about) were true and I had the knowledge to discuss them, 'cos I knew I'd be going through interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending