The Student Room Group

Did you lie in your personal statement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I definitely didn't lie but may have exaggerated a little (or a lot). Well, I wrote how I did some voluntary work in India where I helped teach basics in English, math and Science (true) but I exaggerated that I did this for 2 months. I only did the teaching for a couple of days :smile:
Didn't get caught out though
Reply 21
No.
Reply 22
No need to. I really did go abroad to pursue an interest in history (Amsterdam and Munich) and read loads of books...mainly to look at the gory pictures :biggrin:
Reply 23
I 'massaged' the truth.
No idea, I hardly wrote it...
Considerable embellishments, and claiming to have read a few books I hadn't, but nothing unforgivable
No I didn't.
Reply 27
Totally truthful. 5 offers.
Yes.
no

maybe exaggerated, or withheld information

but didn't lie :p:
I didn't lie or exaggerate and I don't see why you would want to.
Nope.
Reply 32
spartakist
Considerable embellishments, and claiming to have read a few books I hadn't, but nothing unforgivable

LOL. I remember sitting in the car park of one uni, speed reading a book I had put down that I had read, (I partially had, but not all of it) before my interview, because I found out that the author was a lecturer in my prospective dept! Always do your homework!!!!
yes i did
I didn't directly lie but I exagerated upon things and wrote about some projects that were in early stages of planning but never ended up happening.
whether you lie or not, make sure you revise your personal statement before interviews. I got abit of a grilling in my only interview (I think my interviewer was trying to catch me out). You shouldn't feel the need to lie though.
someguy1963
i wrote the truth on my CV and almost tripped up on that during a mock interview..!! said i had such and such a position even though i hadnt done anything while in that position... don't think i could lie coz they can and will tell

Nb. if you need to lie, you deserve not to get what you're going for....

True. But some people still do it and get the good uni and succeed at uni too.

I'm not condoning it but OP, if you're gonna lie, you better be good, the lie better be good and hope luck is on your side if you have an interview!
No, I ahd nothing to lie about
No, I didn't lie.

I probably rambled on way too much in my first drafts and went several hundred characters over.
Reply 39
No :no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending