The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
the reason they should be valued higher is not only because they are harder, the number of students taking them at a level is declining, and the number of teachers for these subjects is also very low. The problem is the same with languages in britain.
Reply 21
Let's face it, Maths and Physics A Levels are probably harder than a Media Studies A-Level. That does not mean, however, that a Maths whiz could walk into a Media Studies based job and be better than everyone there. It's different talents, a different situation and different jobs.

Plus, if everyone who wanted to do Media Studies decided (or was pushed to decide by the government, for example) to do Maths, it would damage the current system; classes would be oversubscribed, teaching quality would subsequently go down in many schools and it would be harder for those who genuinely loved maths to get to their ideal unis.

Small side point though: Anyone else absolutely blooming sick of people thinking that only maths/sciences subjects are difficult? Yes, they are but so are essay based subjects and languages.
I took History and Maths for GCSE; Maths was a cakewalk but I had to spend hours and hours cramming facts and dates and essay structures in order to achieve the same grade in History (A*, not that it's relevant). I took English Lit, History and French for A-levels, but if I said the work was hard, the reply was almost always 'well, at least you're not doing sciences!'. Fair enough, sciences are difficult, but people (particularly those who make announcements like the subject of this thread) need to understand that the others aren't simple in comparison.

Phew, rant over. :P Anyone else with me on that? :smile:
Kaytishu
Let's face it, Maths and Physics A Levels are probably harder than a Media Studies A-Level. That does not mean, however, that a Maths whiz could walk into a Media Studies based job and be better than everyone there. It's different talents, a different situation and different jobs.

Plus, if everyone who wanted to do Media Studies decided (or was pushed to decide by the government, for example) to do Maths, it would damage the current system; classes would be oversubscribed, teaching quality would subsequently go down in many schools and it would be harder for those who genuinely loved maths to get to their ideal unis.

Small side point though: Anyone else absolutely blooming sick of people thinking that only maths/sciences subjects are difficult? Yes, they are but so are essay based subjects and languages.
I took History and Maths for GCSE; Maths was a cakewalk but I had to spend hours and hours cramming facts and dates and essay structures in order to achieve the same grade in History (A*, not that it's relevant). I took English Lit, History and French for A-levels, but if I said the work was hard, the reply was almost always 'well, at least you're not doing sciences!'. Fair enough, sciences are difficult, but people (particularly those who make announcements like the subject of this thread) need to understand that the others aren't simple in comparison.

Phew, rant over. :P Anyone else with me on that? :smile:

I agree.

I think it's because if you're good at maths, there's little work involved. However, if you're good at history, you still need to put in the effort to remember all the events etc.
Jonty99
Lol I find the sciences take no time at all, since they're all about understanding. I think essay subjects take up more time, since you have to actually make loads of notes etc.

I know what your saying there. But personally I found that because most science boards are so pedantic, there is little difference in understanding between an A and a C student, it was simply exam technique; the more they put in the more they seemed to get out; those who did more work did better really. I found essay subjects did in theory require more time,, but because you can "blanket" in your essays you dont really have to know/understand as much as you do in the sciences..
the666thmessiah
I know what your saying there. But personally I found that because most science boards are so pedantic, there is little difference in understanding between an A and a C student, it was simply exam technique; the more they put in the more they seemed to get out; those who did more work did better really. I found essay subjects did in theory require more time,, but because you can "blanket" in your essays you dont really have to know/understand as much as you do in the sciences..

Hmm that is also true. I think it's cos I'm a bit paranoid about knowing loads of details, I can't just "blanket" as you say, and feel I should learn all the facts.
midnightmushrooms
NOOOO!
I will admit that a subject like Maths is a challenge, but think about the amount of time, effort and creativity that is needed to scrounge a decent grade in a subject like, say, Fine Art? All A levels have different requirements and skills but they shouldn't be classed as 'harder' or 'simpler'!

This is totally irrelevant to the question at hand.

Fine art is rarely a reflection of the school's teaching. It's all about the student and how they work.
Effort does not equal achievment!

If a parent or student was looking for somewhere where they would benefit from studying fine art at a certain college than another, then they would look at the fine art results from those colleges for the previous years.
Generally, league tables allow students to find a good place in their area for a range of subjects.
HAHAHA. You think Maths and Physics are 'harder' A levels?

Try Latin and Greek, pal. You'll be slitting your wrists before the week of teaching is over. But yeah, it is a joke that A levels are all "equal".
its tough this

but i think they should be valued slightly more, although some 'softer' subjects do take a lot of time and effort.

yes, it is encouraging more students to take science, and more 'difficult' subjects
Jonty99
I think it's because if you're good at maths, there's little work involved.

The same can be said for languages, but that doesn't de-value the qualification at all. I think that if someone finds maths easy at GCSE/A-Level then all it means is they haven't been stretched. There is an argument for increasing the difficulty of the maths/science syllabus to raise standards, maybe that should happen to end these debates!

In any case, it seems universities such as Cambridge have made their own judgments and I'm sure they're not completely unjustified.
Reply 29
Altruistic1
HAHAHA. You think Maths and Physics are 'harder' A levels?

Try Latin and Greek, pal. You'll be slitting your wrists before the week of teaching is over. But yeah, it is a joke that A levels are all "equal".

Latin was pretty easy, don't know what you're talking about. Just spend about 5 minutes every day learning vocab and another 5 doing grammar and you're set.

I didn't do Greek, but from what I heard from other people it seemed comparatively harder (mainly due to more irregular verbs).
From what I've seen/noticed, Sciences are NOT harder than English or whatever.
Best education reform idea I've heard for quite a while now...then again all I've been hearing are labour ideas so it doesn't say much
Jonty99
Hmm that is also true. I think it's cos I'm a bit paranoid about knowing loads of details, I can't just "blanket" as you say, and feel I should learn all the facts.

Thats what I meant by blanketing; learning all the facts and spewing as much out as possible. This is what makes essay subjects easier; if you can make the links to bring in more information your more likely to get better grades as you can get more in. With the sciences and maths its effectively yes or no
They shouldn't teach subjects like media, photography and psychology at A level. These subjects are not going to be of a benefit to the future of our economy and therefore students should have to pay for these doss subjects rather than relying on the taxpayer. Traditional subjects are the only subjects that should be tested at A-level.
Yes and yes as the economy needs more people to study these subjects to a high level. I'm not even going to debate about difficulty; I think part of it is just due to crap teachers caused by the lack of appropriately qualified people.
ColinOfEdinburgh
Cynically I feel that this country should give up on teaching Maths/Science A-levels. I simply don't believe there's enough support for science and engineering in Britain, something we should be deeply ashamed of.

Maybe it's down to a lack of government vision but let's see if the creative industry can drive our economy instead.

That is a very cynical idea indeed , you're right that there's not enough support for STEM in this country.But I think Brunel , Newton , Green et al would be turning in their graves at such a suggestion.

The real problem I think is that in general I think people have lost touch with the relevance of scientific principles with their lives.People use devices without thinking about how they really work.It's not in the general media as much as I think should be the case , the demise of Tomorrow's World being a case in point.
Not the fact that its harder, just that they require different skills. I do science, and tbh, i find it difficult trying to draw how the experiment looks like. Everyone has their talents, so its unfair to say that one is more difficult than the other. Overall, they might be more coursework/less exams or whatever, but the pressure is the same, and tbh art is ridiculously time consuming.
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
That is a very cynical idea indeed , you're right that there's not enough support for STEM in this country.But I think Brunel , Newton , Green et al would be turning in their graves at such a suggestion.

Lord knows as an engineer I agree with you :frown:

Tomorrow's World, that was a programme that got me thinking! Half the problem seems to be encouraging students to take STEM subjects. The other half is convincing the government to support the industries which rely on these students (arguably the finance sector has been supported, but not manufacturing).

Therein lies the circular catch!
I am trying to convince myself we need so many Media Studies and Psychology graduates. We're lucky to live in a country where we have the ability to study whatever we want - whether it benefits anyone or not.
Reply 38
Surely difficulty, subjective or not, matters very little anyway. Some things are simultaneously excruciatingly difficult and completely useless.
A level subjects are hard in one way or another. Media is hard in one way, Maths is harder in another

Latest